Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

My Internet has been down for a few days (posting from my iPad). When starting up the Nomad app (connected to the LAN), the app sits there for like 10 minutes, first trying to sign in, then trying to " verify iPad", and then checking for updates until it finally times out. I don't see why it has to do all of that every time you start the app, especially the signing in and verifying iPad part. It needs to time out sooner if the Internet is down, and not keep trying to do other things like checking for updates when it already knows there is no Internet connection.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,440 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Not if it's been already been deleted from the DVR.

It would seem pretty logical in 99% of the cases that if you went through the process to delete it from the DVR...that you'd most likely also want it removed on nomad.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

It would seem pretty logical in 99% of the cases that if you went through the process to delete it from the DVR...that you'd most likely also want it removed on nomad.

Maybe I like to load up the iPad with shows and delete them from the DRV. Why do I need them sitting on the DVR clogging up the playlist when I planned to watch them on the road in the first place? Just because YOU may do something a certain way does not make it any more or less logical for someone to want to do it another way. Just like youtube and pandora. IMO they are 100% useless and illogical on a DVR. I have a computer for that stuff. But some people like to listen to music on their TV and watch crappy youtube videos blown up to 65".

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Maybe I like to load up the iPad with shows and delete them from the DRV. Why do I need them sitting on the DVR clogging up the playlist when I planned to watch them on the road in the first place? Just because YOU may do something a certain way does not make it any more or less logical for someone to want to do it another way. Just like youtube and pandora. IMO they are 100% useless and illogical on a DVR. I have a computer for that stuff. But some people like to listen to music on their TV and watch crappy youtube videos blown up to 65".

That works fine as long as you watch the shows within 30 days of transferring them to your ipad. When the show get's deleted off your DVR it deletes it off your Nomad device, but it does not delete it from your iPad, iPhone, computer, or any other device you transferred it to. It will stay on there until you delete it, or once it reaches 30 days from when it was first transferred it will delete iteself.

If you leave the recording on your DVR it will stay on your Nomad device as long as there is room (I believe when you run out of room it starts deleting the oldest recordings first). If it is still on your Nomad you can transfer it again to any device if it got deleted off that device because it was on there longer than 30 days.

Most of us here think the 30 day limit has been a condition the channels have required. They don't want people recording shows and then transferring them to their computers to hold on to forever. Doing so would kill DVD/Blu-Ray/download sales and rentals.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,377 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I can see if you have 1 or 2 dvrs and travel a lot that you could load up the iPad /iPhone weekly before you leave and delete the programs for the upcoming week.

We travel mostly weekends and take movies / concerts/ documentaries that I don't delete from the dvrs, so they're mostly in the nomad to re-download.

I can see lots of scenarios but the bottom line, if you travel and have a mobile device, you'll love nomad.

We don't own the hotel . . . We don't know when we check out!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#31 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I can see lots of scenarios but the bottom line, if you travel and have a mobile device, you'll love nomad.

Unfortunately I will still bet nomad becomes abandon-ware before we ever see a native iPad app. Yes, not everyone writes a review, but when there are only 252 reviews of the app after all of this time, and 149 gave it one star, it's pretty obvious these are not flying off the shelf, and people are not happy with it (for whatever reason).

#32 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,377 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is clamoring for a native iPad app. The picture quality on the iPad matches any other video app on the iPad or iPhone. And the same app works on both.

As to the reviews, just like here, not many make a positive review - I don't think I have for only a small percentage of the apps I have on both the iPhone and iPad.

I think a lot of it has to do with the mis / mosh of home networks. I helped a friend that couldn't print the other day and his laptop was on his neighbor's wireless!

It's a niche product. What percentage of subs have their DVR on their home network (outside of the posters here)?

#33 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,264 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is clamoring for a native iPad app.

I'd like one just so I don't have to look at the nomad menus in portrait and then have to rotate it to landscape to view programming.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#34 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,116 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'd like one just so I don't have to look at the nomad menus in portrait and then have to rotate it to landscape to view programming.

While that's a minor irritation to me, the fonts look terrible.
And it'd be sweet to have a resolution to match that of the new 'Pad.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

While that's a minor irritation to me, the fonts look terrible.

+1 on both here...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#36 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,377 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

I want both of those and a couple of other improvements, but neither improve what I really use nomad for -- watching programs.

Maybe a 30skip on the controls?

#37 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I know most of the ratings are from fans or folks with issues. I'll bet most of the folks that love it never rated it. I see lots of complaints about the reinstall, jailbrake, and the price.

Setup

Ken

#38 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

I want both of those and a couple of other improvements, but neither improve what I really use nomad for -- watching programs.

Maybe a 30skip on the controls?

A big +1 on 30 sec skip. Keeping the FF button held is pretty difficult when using an elliptical trainer! I cuss that thing every time my finger slips off. :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#39 OFFLINE   mwzimm

mwzimm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have 2 issues with the Nomad as it currently stands. One, it will often not see one or both of my DVRs. This typically requires me to reboot the DVR itself to make them re-appear. Two, I would really like to be able to save client files on an external drive. My laptop has a very small internal hard drive and I usually travel with a portable USB drive to store media which would be perfect for Nomad files and would allow for much more storage.

#40 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have 2 issues with the Nomad as it currently stands. One, it will often not see one or both of my DVRs. This typically requires me to reboot the DVR itself to make them re-appear. Two, I would really like to be able to save client files on an external drive. My laptop has a very small internal hard drive and I usually travel with a portable USB drive to store media which would be perfect for Nomad files and would allow for much more storage.

You can't do this?

#41 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

A big +1 on 30 sec skip. Keeping the FF button held is pretty difficult when using an elliptical trainer! I cuss that thing every time my finger slips off. :lol:

Scrub through audio and video. When you’re watching a video or listening to music or a podcast, the scrubber bar lets you skip to any point along the timeline. You can adjust the scrub rate from high-speed to fine scrubbing by sliding your finger down as you drag the playhead along the scrubber bar.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

#42 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks but, for me, using the scrubber bar while working out is much harder than trying to keep my finger pressed on the FF button.

A 30 sec skip, like on the nomad Mac app would be awesome. Better yet, integrate nomad into the DIRECTV iPad app.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#43 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Better yet, integrate nomad into the DIRECTV iPad app.

My guess is that this is what they plan on doing, and is the cause of the delay in getting a iPad specific Nomad app. There is a lot more going on with the iPad app and they don't want to mess it up, or take away features in order to get Nomad added to it. Once they can get it working with all the current features and Nomad integrated then I think we will see a major update to add it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#44 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

My guess is that this is what they plan on doing, and is the cause of the delay in getting a iPad specific Nomad app. There is a lot more going on with the iPad app and they don't want to mess it up, or take away features in order to get Nomad added to it. Once they can get it working with all the current features and Nomad integrated then I think we will see a major update to add it.

Agreed. After all, we're still on vers. 1 of the iPad app. I would expect nomad to show up in vers. 2.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad

#45 OFFLINE   mwzimm

mwzimm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

You can't do this?

If you can, I can't figure it out. Both on a desktop, laptop, and Macbook - the only video storage locations available are on the devices hard drive itself. It does not seem to recognize usb drives.

#46 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can set my Nomad to transfer recrodings to the secondary hard drive in my desktop, and that is what I do. I haven't tried a USB or eSata drive though.
-by Jack Handy

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Thought I'd throw out some feature requests as I've started to use the Nomad recently... I believe most of these features can be applied to the PC and the iOS version of the app.

1. When in Settings and viewing the Auto-Download Series List, allow the ability to sort it. Currently, it is sorted in the order that they were created, I'd like to be able to sort it alphabetically.

2. The ability to set up Auto-Downloads for shows that have no recordings on the DVR. Basically, it would be nice to be able to select shows that I have an SL for, but do not currently have a saved episode on my DVR. This could be because the season hasn't started up yet, but I want it to start downloading episodes as soon as the season starts.

3. An easier way to start up the app in off-line mode. I was having some issues the other day and it wouldn't see the nomad.. It was stuck searching for it for a few minutes before it offered me to start up in off-line mode. There was no way for me to cancel the searching phase and skip right to off-line mode.

4. An easier way to see the amount of space available. I don't see why you could not have a space meter available all the time on the main screen of the app.

5. The ability to delete shows off of the nomad itself. That would allow better management of space and allow you to remove recent shows that you no longer need on there while leaving older shows on the nomad.

6. The ability to see what shows are on the nomad from a different device. For example, if I set up my PC to download a series and then go to my iPad, there is no indication that series is already on the nomad.

7. The ability to set up a show/series to transcode to the nomad, but not download to a device. As on an iPad there is really limited space, I'd like to set up a lot of series to transcode, but not download. That way I have my pick as to what I want to take with me without having to wait for the show to transcode and then download. It would just need to download.

- Merg

#48 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Here's a question that I just thought of regarding adding additional space to the nomad. I currently have 2 4GB thumb drives attached. My nomad is currently using about 21GB of 24GB available space. I have an external 320GB drive that I might attach. If I remove one of the 4GB drives (or both) and attach the 320GB drive, what happens to the recordings on the thumb drives? I realize that they would not be available anymore, but will the nomad see that I am missing those shows and automatically re-download them?

- Merg

#49 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,377 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't think it will automatically re-transcode those on the removed storage, but I have had programs re-transcode spontaneously.

#50 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,285 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thought I'd throw out some feature requests as I've started to use the Nomad recently... I believe most of these features can be applied to the PC and the iOS version of the app.

1. When in Settings and viewing the Auto-Download Series List, allow the ability to sort it. Currently, it is sorted in the order that they were created, I'd like to be able to sort it alphabetically.

2. The ability to set up Auto-Downloads for shows that have no recordings on the DVR. Basically, it would be nice to be able to select shows that I have an SL for, but do not currently have a saved episode on my DVR. This could be because the season hasn't started up yet, but I want it to start downloading episodes as soon as the season starts.

3. An easier way to start up the app in off-line mode. I was having some issues the other day and it wouldn't see the nomad.. It was stuck searching for it for a few minutes before it offered me to start up in off-line mode. There was no way for me to cancel the searching phase and skip right to off-line mode.

4. An easier way to see the amount of space available. I don't see why you could not have a space meter available all the time on the main screen of the app.

5. The ability to delete shows off of the nomad itself. That would allow better management of space and allow you to remove recent shows that you no longer need on there while leaving older shows on the nomad.

6. The ability to see what shows are on the nomad from a different device. For example, if I set up my PC to download a series and then go to my iPad, there is no indication that series is already on the nomad.

7. The ability to set up a show/series to transcode to the nomad, but not download to a device. As on an iPad there is really limited space, I'd like to set up a lot of series to transcode, but not download. That way I have my pick as to what I want to take with me without having to wait for the show to transcode and then download. It would just need to download.

- Merg

Continued...

8. The ability to sort the DVR PlayList window. With 3 DVRs and many shows, the list appears to be all jumbled together. I really don't have a need to filter by show type, but an easy way to filter by DVR (and not needing to go into settings to turn one off) would be nice as well as a way to sort by Recorded Date or Alphabetically.

9. The PC app needs to pick up on external memory quicker. I removed 2 4GB thumb drives and the System Settings showed that immediately. I plugged in an external drive and it took almost 5 minutes before it popped up that the device was there.

10. A way to limit the number of episodes that download to the nomad or a device, similar to the way you can limit a SL to only record a certain number of episodes. Although, this would not be an issue if you can just tell the nomad to transcode shows and not download them. The issue I have here is that I record kid's shows only will have 5 at most at a time on the DVR. When it transcodes and downloads to the PC, over the course of a month, that will end up being a heck of a lot of episodes for ones that show multiple times a day. While the nomad will only have the most recent 5 on there, the PC (or other device) will hold onto all the episodes for a month. It would be nice to set a limitation on the number of episodes that actually get downloaded.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 04 July 2012 - 10:53 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...