Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yep, same here. I don't know why they just don't tell you that you have to delete and reinstall (and that your content will go poof). None of the updates have worked without a reinstall yet. :nono2:

Un-installing and losing content isn't a terribly big deal for me. Most of the content I have on Nomad / iPad is movies, documentaries, concerts instead of weekly series / sitcoms that might have been deleted from my DVRs and lost.

But the app does need to upgrade without losing content.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

Un-installing and losing content isn't a terribly big deal for me. Most of the content I have on Nomad / iPad is movies, documentaries, concerts instead of weekly series / sitcoms that might have been deleted from my DVRs and lost.

Good point.

In addition, if one loses the mobile device content, the transcode is still on nomad itself...and the 2nd step download process (even doing it again) goes quite fast.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,168 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Agree on both points, one of which I made earlier. I guess many of us have "lost content" several dozen times, no biggie at all, but for a release version to the general public, I'd expect a large hue and cry, phone lines lit up across DIRECTV land. Although, on re-thinking a moment, perhaps the existing core of nomad owners are early adaptors, tech savvy and able to weather a few inconveniences....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:13 PM

You're right; an iPad or laptop is my preferred size. But some movies play very well on phone if they have good dialog and boring sets.

Good point there.:)

My HTC has a big enough screen size as a compromise. Bringing an iPad along on roundtrips isn't always feasible.

BTW, thanks HDTVFAN for the info.

#25 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

In addition, if one loses the mobile device content, the transcode is still on nomad itself...and the 2nd step download process (even doing it again) goes quite fast.

Not if it's been already been deleted from the DVR.

#26 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

My Internet has been down for a few days (posting from my iPad). When starting up the Nomad app (connected to the LAN), the app sits there for like 10 minutes, first trying to sign in, then trying to " verify iPad", and then checking for updates until it finally times out. I don't see why it has to do all of that every time you start the app, especially the signing in and verifying iPad part. It needs to time out sooner if the Internet is down, and not keep trying to do other things like checking for updates when it already knows there is no Internet connection.

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,689 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Not if it's been already been deleted from the DVR.

It would seem pretty logical in 99% of the cases that if you went through the process to delete it from the DVR...that you'd most likely also want it removed on nomad.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

It would seem pretty logical in 99% of the cases that if you went through the process to delete it from the DVR...that you'd most likely also want it removed on nomad.

Maybe I like to load up the iPad with shows and delete them from the DRV. Why do I need them sitting on the DVR clogging up the playlist when I planned to watch them on the road in the first place? Just because YOU may do something a certain way does not make it any more or less logical for someone to want to do it another way. Just like youtube and pandora. IMO they are 100% useless and illogical on a DVR. I have a computer for that stuff. But some people like to listen to music on their TV and watch crappy youtube videos blown up to 65".

#29 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

Maybe I like to load up the iPad with shows and delete them from the DRV. Why do I need them sitting on the DVR clogging up the playlist when I planned to watch them on the road in the first place? Just because YOU may do something a certain way does not make it any more or less logical for someone to want to do it another way. Just like youtube and pandora. IMO they are 100% useless and illogical on a DVR. I have a computer for that stuff. But some people like to listen to music on their TV and watch crappy youtube videos blown up to 65".

That works fine as long as you watch the shows within 30 days of transferring them to your ipad. When the show get's deleted off your DVR it deletes it off your Nomad device, but it does not delete it from your iPad, iPhone, computer, or any other device you transferred it to. It will stay on there until you delete it, or once it reaches 30 days from when it was first transferred it will delete iteself.

If you leave the recording on your DVR it will stay on your Nomad device as long as there is room (I believe when you run out of room it starts deleting the oldest recordings first). If it is still on your Nomad you can transfer it again to any device if it got deleted off that device because it was on there longer than 30 days.

Most of us here think the 30 day limit has been a condition the channels have required. They don't want people recording shows and then transferring them to their computers to hold on to forever. Doing so would kill DVD/Blu-Ray/download sales and rentals.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#30 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I can see if you have 1 or 2 dvrs and travel a lot that you could load up the iPad /iPhone weekly before you leave and delete the programs for the upcoming week.

We travel mostly weekends and take movies / concerts/ documentaries that I don't delete from the dvrs, so they're mostly in the nomad to re-download.

I can see lots of scenarios but the bottom line, if you travel and have a mobile device, you'll love nomad.

#31 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I can see lots of scenarios but the bottom line, if you travel and have a mobile device, you'll love nomad.

Unfortunately I will still bet nomad becomes abandon-ware before we ever see a native iPad app. Yes, not everyone writes a review, but when there are only 252 reviews of the app after all of this time, and 149 gave it one star, it's pretty obvious these are not flying off the shelf, and people are not happy with it (for whatever reason).

#32 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is clamoring for a native iPad app. The picture quality on the iPad matches any other video app on the iPad or iPhone. And the same app works on both.

As to the reviews, just like here, not many make a positive review - I don't think I have for only a small percentage of the apps I have on both the iPhone and iPad.

I think a lot of it has to do with the mis / mosh of home networks. I helped a friend that couldn't print the other day and his laptop was on his neighbor's wireless!

It's a niche product. What percentage of subs have their DVR on their home network (outside of the posters here)?

#33 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,992 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

I'm not sure why everyone is clamoring for a native iPad app.

I'd like one just so I don't have to look at the nomad menus in portrait and then have to rotate it to landscape to view programming.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#34 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,168 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'd like one just so I don't have to look at the nomad menus in portrait and then have to rotate it to landscape to view programming.

While that's a minor irritation to me, the fonts look terrible.
And it'd be sweet to have a resolution to match that of the new 'Pad.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 01:52 PM

While that's a minor irritation to me, the fonts look terrible.

+1 on both here...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#36 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

I want both of those and a couple of other improvements, but neither improve what I really use nomad for -- watching programs.

Maybe a 30skip on the controls?

#37 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I know most of the ratings are from fans or folks with issues. I'll bet most of the folks that love it never rated it. I see lots of complaints about the reinstall, jailbrake, and the price.

Setup

Ken

#38 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:41 PM

I want both of those and a couple of other improvements, but neither improve what I really use nomad for -- watching programs.

Maybe a 30skip on the controls?

A big +1 on 30 sec skip. Keeping the FF button held is pretty difficult when using an elliptical trainer! I cuss that thing every time my finger slips off. :lol:

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#39 OFFLINE   mwzimm

mwzimm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have 2 issues with the Nomad as it currently stands. One, it will often not see one or both of my DVRs. This typically requires me to reboot the DVR itself to make them re-appear. Two, I would really like to be able to save client files on an external drive. My laptop has a very small internal hard drive and I usually travel with a portable USB drive to store media which would be perfect for Nomad files and would allow for much more storage.

#40 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

I have 2 issues with the Nomad as it currently stands. One, it will often not see one or both of my DVRs. This typically requires me to reboot the DVR itself to make them re-appear. Two, I would really like to be able to save client files on an external drive. My laptop has a very small internal hard drive and I usually travel with a portable USB drive to store media which would be perfect for Nomad files and would allow for much more storage.

You can't do this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...