Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

A big +1 on 30 sec skip. Keeping the FF button held is pretty difficult when using an elliptical trainer! I cuss that thing every time my finger slips off. :lol:

Scrub through audio and video. When you’re watching a video or listening to music or a podcast, the scrubber bar lets you skip to any point along the timeline. You can adjust the scrub rate from high-speed to fine scrubbing by sliding your finger down as you drag the playhead along the scrubber bar.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/tips/

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 2 characters.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

Thanks but, for me, using the scrubber bar while working out is much harder than trying to keep my finger pressed on the FF button.

A 30 sec skip, like on the nomad Mac app would be awesome. Better yet, integrate nomad into the DIRECTV iPad app.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#43 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

Better yet, integrate nomad into the DIRECTV iPad app.

My guess is that this is what they plan on doing, and is the cause of the delay in getting a iPad specific Nomad app. There is a lot more going on with the iPad app and they don't want to mess it up, or take away features in order to get Nomad added to it. Once they can get it working with all the current features and Nomad integrated then I think we will see a major update to add it.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#44 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:15 AM

My guess is that this is what they plan on doing, and is the cause of the delay in getting a iPad specific Nomad app. There is a lot more going on with the iPad app and they don't want to mess it up, or take away features in order to get Nomad added to it. Once they can get it working with all the current features and Nomad integrated then I think we will see a major update to add it.

Agreed. After all, we're still on vers. 1 of the iPad app. I would expect nomad to show up in vers. 2.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#45 OFFLINE   mwzimm

mwzimm

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:48 AM

You can't do this?

If you can, I can't figure it out. Both on a desktop, laptop, and Macbook - the only video storage locations available are on the devices hard drive itself. It does not seem to recognize usb drives.

#46 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I can set my Nomad to transfer recrodings to the secondary hard drive in my desktop, and that is what I do. I haven't tried a USB or eSata drive though.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#47 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

Thought I'd throw out some feature requests as I've started to use the Nomad recently... I believe most of these features can be applied to the PC and the iOS version of the app.

1. When in Settings and viewing the Auto-Download Series List, allow the ability to sort it. Currently, it is sorted in the order that they were created, I'd like to be able to sort it alphabetically.

2. The ability to set up Auto-Downloads for shows that have no recordings on the DVR. Basically, it would be nice to be able to select shows that I have an SL for, but do not currently have a saved episode on my DVR. This could be because the season hasn't started up yet, but I want it to start downloading episodes as soon as the season starts.

3. An easier way to start up the app in off-line mode. I was having some issues the other day and it wouldn't see the nomad.. It was stuck searching for it for a few minutes before it offered me to start up in off-line mode. There was no way for me to cancel the searching phase and skip right to off-line mode.

4. An easier way to see the amount of space available. I don't see why you could not have a space meter available all the time on the main screen of the app.

5. The ability to delete shows off of the nomad itself. That would allow better management of space and allow you to remove recent shows that you no longer need on there while leaving older shows on the nomad.

6. The ability to see what shows are on the nomad from a different device. For example, if I set up my PC to download a series and then go to my iPad, there is no indication that series is already on the nomad.

7. The ability to set up a show/series to transcode to the nomad, but not download to a device. As on an iPad there is really limited space, I'd like to set up a lot of series to transcode, but not download. That way I have my pick as to what I want to take with me without having to wait for the show to transcode and then download. It would just need to download.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#48 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

Here's a question that I just thought of regarding adding additional space to the nomad. I currently have 2 4GB thumb drives attached. My nomad is currently using about 21GB of 24GB available space. I have an external 320GB drive that I might attach. If I remove one of the 4GB drives (or both) and attach the 320GB drive, what happens to the recordings on the thumb drives? I realize that they would not be available anymore, but will the nomad see that I am missing those shows and automatically re-download them?

- Merg

#49 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

I don't think it will automatically re-transcode those on the removed storage, but I have had programs re-transcode spontaneously.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#50 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:17 AM

Thought I'd throw out some feature requests as I've started to use the Nomad recently... I believe most of these features can be applied to the PC and the iOS version of the app.

1. When in Settings and viewing the Auto-Download Series List, allow the ability to sort it. Currently, it is sorted in the order that they were created, I'd like to be able to sort it alphabetically.

2. The ability to set up Auto-Downloads for shows that have no recordings on the DVR. Basically, it would be nice to be able to select shows that I have an SL for, but do not currently have a saved episode on my DVR. This could be because the season hasn't started up yet, but I want it to start downloading episodes as soon as the season starts.

3. An easier way to start up the app in off-line mode. I was having some issues the other day and it wouldn't see the nomad.. It was stuck searching for it for a few minutes before it offered me to start up in off-line mode. There was no way for me to cancel the searching phase and skip right to off-line mode.

4. An easier way to see the amount of space available. I don't see why you could not have a space meter available all the time on the main screen of the app.

5. The ability to delete shows off of the nomad itself. That would allow better management of space and allow you to remove recent shows that you no longer need on there while leaving older shows on the nomad.

6. The ability to see what shows are on the nomad from a different device. For example, if I set up my PC to download a series and then go to my iPad, there is no indication that series is already on the nomad.

7. The ability to set up a show/series to transcode to the nomad, but not download to a device. As on an iPad there is really limited space, I'd like to set up a lot of series to transcode, but not download. That way I have my pick as to what I want to take with me without having to wait for the show to transcode and then download. It would just need to download.

- Merg

Continued...

8. The ability to sort the DVR PlayList window. With 3 DVRs and many shows, the list appears to be all jumbled together. I really don't have a need to filter by show type, but an easy way to filter by DVR (and not needing to go into settings to turn one off) would be nice as well as a way to sort by Recorded Date or Alphabetically.

9. The PC app needs to pick up on external memory quicker. I removed 2 4GB thumb drives and the System Settings showed that immediately. I plugged in an external drive and it took almost 5 minutes before it popped up that the device was there.

10. A way to limit the number of episodes that download to the nomad or a device, similar to the way you can limit a SL to only record a certain number of episodes. Although, this would not be an issue if you can just tell the nomad to transcode shows and not download them. The issue I have here is that I record kid's shows only will have 5 at most at a time on the DVR. When it transcodes and downloads to the PC, over the course of a month, that will end up being a heck of a lot of episodes for ones that show multiple times a day. While the nomad will only have the most recent 5 on there, the PC (or other device) will hold onto all the episodes for a month. It would be nice to set a limitation on the number of episodes that actually get downloaded.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 04 July 2012 - 10:53 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

When viewing the DVR PlayList on the nomad app, I noticed that some recordings are missing. I verified that the series/episodes are still on the original DVR and also checked that the shows appear on the PlayList of a remote DVR. I cannot find anything in common with the missing shows, such as recorded after a certain time.

In this case, the missing shows are three whole folders of episodes of three shows and two single episodes of other shows (of which I only had those single episodes recorded).

- Merg

#52 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Issue: nomad App Crash
Loaded up the application today and when it got to "Loading your content" the app just shut down. I had to reload it.

Issue: Times Listed in 24 Hr Format Incorrect
Okay, this not a real issue per se. I have my iPhone set to display time in 24 Hr format. This is displaying the times partially in 24 hr format and partially in AM/PM format. For example, something that is recorded at 8am is displaying as "8:00a", when it should just be "8:00". Something recorded at 10pm is displaying as "22:00p" instead of just "22:00".

- Merg

#53 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

Been away over three weeks and the shows I saved for trip home, when I select and hit Play jump to the right screen but are bounced right back within a second. Repeatable.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#54 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

8. The ability to sort the DVR PlayList window. With 3 DVRs and many shows, the list appears to be all jumbled together. I really don't have a need to filter by show type, but an easy way to filter by DVR (and not needing to go into settings to turn one off) would be nice as well as a way to sort by Recorded Date or Alphabetically.

9. The PC app needs to pick up on external memory quicker. I removed 2 4GB thumb drives and the System Settings showed that immediately. I plugged in an external drive and it took almost 5 minutes before it popped up that the device was there.

10. A way to limit the number of episodes that download to the nomad or a device, similar to the way you can limit a SL to only record a certain number of episodes. Although, this would not be an issue if you can just tell the nomad to transcode shows and not download them. The issue I have here is that I record kid's shows only will have 5 at most at a time on the DVR. When it transcodes and downloads to the PC, over the course of a month, that will end up being a heck of a lot of episodes for ones that show multiple times a day. While the nomad will only have the most recent 5 on there, the PC (or other device) will hold onto all the episodes for a month. It would be nice to set a limitation on the number of episodes that actually get downloaded.

- Merg

Continued...

11. Allow a way to mark for deletion. Due to not being able to limit the number of downloads of a show, I currently had 16 episodes of Phineas & Ferb on my PC. I wanted to reduce it down to 5, but that means I had to manually select each episode and then confirm deleting it. That is a real pain.

12. When selecting to delete an episode, it only provides a generic confirmation. The confirmation should include the show name and the episode title. Also, at the end of the confirmation, there is always what seems to be an error code listed "8-45-0". I'm not really sure why that is there.

- Merg

#55 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

I have an iPad3, iPhone3GS and a Macbook Pro 2011: I've given up on the iPad and iPhone as viable platforms for Nomad content, the Nomad app won't download in the background and it's ridiculous to expect someone to have the time to keep the Nomad app open in the foreground whilst downloading shows.

Has any thought been given to combining a native iPad version into the DirecTV Anywhere app? Might help with up-selling Nomads and getting a larger user base out there....

Edited by Fraaaak, 09 July 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#56 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

You don't have to have the iPad/iPhone client open for the entire process. You can queue up many programs, let them transcode overnight and then it's a few minutes a program to transfer them to the iPad/iPhone. You can even watch a program while the others transfer - or go take a shower.

#57 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

it's weird, because that's how it works on my mbp (vmware fusion) - but I've had nothing but problems with both the iPhone (which almost certainly a storage space available issue) and the iPad (which may be the same issue) - I'll give the iPad another shot

#58 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

it's weird, because that's how it works on my mbp (vmware fusion) - but I've had nothing but problems with both the iPhone (which almost certainly a storage space available issue) and the iPad (which may be the same issue) - I'll give the iPad another shot

You can confirm the amount of space available on your iDevices by clicking on Summary in iTunes..
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#59 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,204 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:23 PM

Or on the device, Settings / General / Usage . . .

#60 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:05 PM

You don't have to have the iPad/iPhone client open for the entire process. You can queue up many programs, let them transcode overnight and then it's a few minutes a program to transfer them to the iPad/iPhone. You can even watch a program while the others transfer - or go take a shower.

No, you don't have to have the client open for the entire process, but you do have to have it open for downloading transcoded programs. This I find annoying - it's a multitasking operating system that can easily handle the Nomad app downloading in the background - that is how it should be done, imo.

spam firewall