Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:31 AM

I guess I don't sweat the small stuff. I use GoodReader to download my local paper every day. While it will now download in the background (after I initiate it), I don't find that to be of use.

I just start the download, go get a cup of coffee and check DBSTalk. Or take a shower.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

I guess I don't sweat the small stuff. I use GoodReader to download my local paper every day. While it will now download in the background (after I initiate it), I don't find that to be of use.

I just start the download, go get a cup of coffee and check DBSTalk. Or take a shower.

You seem to be a well-cleansed person. I'm just thinking if D* really wants this Nomad thing to go anywhere it should not require a loofa. :lol:

#63 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

This morning I just downloaded 30+ hours - mostly movies, concerts, documentaries that I carry on the iPad, because they had hit the 30 day expiration.

Other than the couple of minutes to select them, that's all it took. I selected them, plugged in the iPad from the charger that's always by my couch and went for a 40 mile bicycle ride.

They were done way before I got back.

#64 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:49 PM

But wouldn't it be great to have the app transcode and download the content in one step as opposed to two?

#65 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

It does if you leave it connected to a power supply and leave the app open.

#66 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

It does if you leave it connected to a power supply and leave the app open.

Gosh! I guess you're right. There's no room for improvement in this app. It's perfect!

#67 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

But wouldn't it be great to have the app transcode and download the content in one step as opposed to two?

In theory maybe...but based on what happens in the process...it is unlikely and the "lift" from doing it that way seems nominal.

One key value to 2 distinct "phases" in the transcoding process is that once you've done the "preparing" step (which takes the most time of the 2 steps)...doing any download...or re-doing any download...is a pretty quick task. It also assures a level of "quality control".

As a point of reference - I just cleared out my recordings...and re-downloaded 10 programs (that had been previously "prepared") representing over 21+ hours of viewing time...the entire process took about an hour.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#68 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

Buy.com has a 64GB USB drive for $36.99 with free shipping.

#69 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

No, I actually wish it was seperated even further. I wish we could set up things to transcode and download seperately. I want every recording I make ot be automatically transcoded and stored on my Nomad, but I don't want it automatically transferring anything to any of my devices. I want them just sitting there on the Nomad ready for me, so when I do want to transfer them I can choose which device I want it transferred onto and do it then before I go on my trip.

Currently there is no sinple way to do this. So my workaround has been to install the Nomad client on my desktop PC and leave it running all the time. I then have the Nomad app on my desktop set to automatically transcode and download every TV series I record, and I have to manually tell it to transcode every movie I record. This makes it so everything is transcoded and stored on my Nomad like I want it, but it also means I have all kinds of transcoded shows/movies saved on my desktop's hard drive that I don't really need. I never watch any of them on my desktop, if I want to watch something on there I use DirecTV2PC instead since then I get the HD picture instead of the low res transcoded version. But I just deal with GB of shows stored on there for now so I have the convenience of being able to easily transfer any of my recordings to any of my devices in a short amount of time whenever I want.

It's really nice being able to just pick up my iPad and start transferring 10 hours of shows that are already transcoded while I pack for my trip. It usually takes less than 1 hour to do so, so it's done by the time I'm ready to leave. If I didn't have it set up this way I would have had to start the process the day before so it could have enough time (probably close to 11 or 12 hours) to accomplish the same thing.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#70 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

While it does take a while to restart the PC Client, you could avoid the download by closing it after you make your selections for transcoding. That would avoid having to delete them from the PC.

It would be nice to have a "Send to Nomad" option on the Playlist and iPad playlist.

#71 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

While it does take a while to restart the PC Client, you could avoid the download by closing it after you make your selections for transcoding. That would avoid having to delete them from the PC.

It would be nice to have a "Send to Nomad" option on the Playlist and iPad playlist.

I have found that my Nomad doesn't seem to start the transcoding process unless I leave the Nomad app open on my desktop. So I just leave it open and running all the time. I have a 2TB hard drive that all the shows get stored on, and I have plenty of room on it right now so it isn't a huge deal. But, I am a bit concerned that all the reading/writing of these shows to the hard drive may cause it to fail earlier than it would otherwise.

Just seems to me that it wouldn't be all that difficult to allow 2 options in the app. One to auto transcode a series, and one to auto transcode and download. Or possibly make a settings page that you can access by typing in the Nomad's IP address into a web browser like you do for your router, etc. Maybe in there you could have settings to auto transcoding a series, or auto transcoding everything.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#72 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Wierd. I haven't run into transcoding stopping with the client closed. I typically do that with the PC and IOS clients.

Reading and writing typically isn't the problem with hard drives. It's things like power interruptions, power cycling and mechanical issues (dropping, g-forces, high temps)

#73 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:31 AM

I want them just sitting there on the Nomad ready for me, so when I do want to transfer them I can choose which device I want it transferred onto and do it then before I go on my trip.

I never watch any of them on my desktop, if I want to watch something on there I use DirecTV2PC instead since then I get the HD picture instead of the low res transcoded version.

It's really nice being able to just pick up my iPad and start transferring 10 hours of shows that are already transcoded while I pack for my trip. It usually takes less than 1 hour to do so, so it's done by the time I'm ready to leave.

From what I've seen of the current iP* Nomad app - the Nomad (or maybe it's the app) seems to be aware of which programs were requested for the iP* or Android* device.

In an all apple household (with no Bootcamp or VMWare Fusion or Parallels running Windoze) the "choose all shows to transcode and download what I want in the morning" option isn't available. While currently the Nomad seems to have a very small user base, and we all seem to have a laptop or home system with the PC application, as things stand now the user base will remain very small.

For someone who is working with just a mobile device of some type along with a computer that has the Nomad application on it, the preferred method (judging from this thread) is fine, but imagine the American nuclear family with 2.3 kids, everyone has their own device they want to get their favorite shows onto and it's time to get to the airport to go on vacation (or even just to school and work in the morning) I foresee a download traffic jam in the morning. Perhaps the Nomad apps (for whatever device or PC) should have an option to either "transcode only" or "transcode and download".

The DIRECTV2PC analogy isn't really applicable here, as the Nomad is for watching DVR recorded programs outside the house, while the D*2PC app is for watching DVR recorded programs inside the home network (unless you can do it via VPN, I've never tried).

On another topic: I've seen others here asking about expanding storage on the Nomad - my setup is with a LaCie Rikki 500GB external USB drive, flash drives and cards aren't the only option available.

Edited by Fraaaak, 22 July 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#74 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well, over the last week, I had the opportunity to really give nomad a test drive and definitely found some shortcomings...

• When deleting an epsiode from the iPad, it then keeps you on the screen for that episode, but there are no options. You have to select Back to go back to your episode list at which point the deleted episode disappears.
  • When viewing the list of shows via the iPad that are on the DVR, there is no indication as to what episodes are already on the iPad. While I know that I can click on the iPad button and see, I would like to know what is there when I am going through the DVR list. For example, I have 7 episodes of one show on my DVR and wanted to have all on my iPad. As I couldn't remember exactly what episodes I had downloaded already, I needed to go through each episode to see if it had the "Download to iPad" button available of not.Actually, just noticed how you can tell the difference. If downloaded, the recorded date/time line of the episode is replaced with the Expiration Date of the nomad download. While that is nice, the recorded date/time line should still be shown.
  • The process of determining whether there is wifi connected or not needs to be tweaked. When I tried using nomad at one point, my iPad had connected to a free wifi network, but I had not gone into Safari to click on the TOS agreement button. Thus, while the iPad saw I had wifi, I really was not connected to anything. When opening up nomad, it just sat there at the Authenticating screen indefinitely. I needed to disable wifi and then nomad would work.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 22 July 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#75 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:26 PM

[*]When deleting an epsiode from the iPad, it then keeps you on the screen for that episode, but there are no options. You have to select Back to go back to your episode list at which point the delete episode disappears.

[

It should say "Download Episode", right?

#76 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

It should say "Download Episode", right?

If you are referring to the end, it should be "deleted" episode. I corrected the spelling error.

- Merg

#77 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

There needs to be a way to know if an episode has been transcoded or not when viewing via the nomad app. As I am not going to always have episodes downloading to my iPad and taking up space, I will download a few episodes here and there as I want them. Knowing which episodes have already been transcoded makes a huge difference in regards to how much time I need to transfer those episodes.

The nomad app needs a lot of work still in my opinion. C'mon DirecTV, I know you can do better.

- Merg

#78 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

There is no way to refresh the list of shows on the DVR tab after something is deleted off of a DVR. In order to get the PlayList in nomad to refresh, I needed to go back to the Home screen and then relaunch the app.

- Merg

#79 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Wierd. I haven't run into transcoding stopping with the client closed. I typically do that with the PC and IOS clients.

No, I'm not talking about things that are transcoding stopping when the client is closed. I'm talking about new episodes starting to transcode. For example if I close the PC client app on Wednesday and then a bunch of shows get recorded on Thursday and Friday, when I open the app back up on Saturday those programs will not have transcoded because the Nomad unit didn't know it was supposed to. The app will then recognize those new recordings were made and ask you if you want to transcode/transfer them. You click yes, and then it starts transcoding them. If I just leave the PC app open all the time they begin transcoding/transferring right after they are finished recording, so when I sit down on Saturday and want to add them to my iPad they are already ready to go and I just have to download them to my iPad, I don't have to wait for them to transcode.

It seems the Nomad itself doesn't remember what programs it is supposed to transcode, it has to be told to do so by one of the apps, I would like the Nomad itself to be able to be set up to transcode stuff without having an app open telling it to do so.

There needs to be a way to know if an episode has been transcoded or not when viewing via the nomad app. As I am not going to always have episodes downloading to my iPad and taking up space, I will download a few episodes here and there as I want them. Knowing which episodes have already been transcoded makes a huge difference in regards to how much time I need to transfer those episodes.

The nomad app needs a lot of work still in my opinion. C'mon DirecTV, I know you can do better.

- Merg

Actually, I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this, but I can't remember off the top of my head and I'm at work. I think there's an option to show prepared content somewhere. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.

Edited by Beerstalker, 23 July 2012 - 02:10 PM.

-by Jack Handy

#80 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

No, I'm not talking about things that are transcoding stopping when the client is closed. I'm talking about new episodes starting to transcode. For example if I close the PC client app on Wednesday and then a bunch of shows get recorded on Thursday and Friday, when I open the app back up on Saturday those programs will not have transcoded because the Nomad unit didn't know it was supposed to. The app will then recognize those new recordings were made and ask you if you want to transcode/transfer them. You click yes, and then it starts transcoding them. If I just leave the PC app open all the time they begin transcoding/transferring right after they are finished recording, so when I sit down on Saturday and want to add them to my iPad they are already ready to go and I just have to download them to my iPad, I don't have to wait for them to transcode.

It seems the Nomad itself doesn't remember what programs it is supposed to transcode, it has to be told to do so by one of the apps, I would like the Nomad itself to be able to be set up to transcode stuff without having an app open telling it to do so.

I agree with that. I just loaded up the nomad PC client (where I have all my Auto-Downloads set) and it just started the transcoding of Damages from last Wed. My computer was off all week and turned on Saturday. Other shows appeared to transcode without issue when I opened the client on Sunday and saw that Fallen Skies and The Glades were transcoding about 20 minutes after those shows started.

You should be able to interact directly with the nomad and set what shows will automatically transcode without having to link a download to a specific device.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there is a way to do this, but I can't remember off the top of my head and I'm at work. I think there's an option to show prepared content somewhere. I'll try to remember to look when I get home.

If there is, they certainly don't make it easy to find it then. Like I said before, I did see how you can see if something is already downloaded on the device via the DVR tab as the record date/time is replaced with the expiration date.

And to add to the list...

1. On the nomad PC client, the title column needs to be able to be resizeable. Currently, if the title is too long, you need to hover over it to see the full title. I have a 23" widescreen monitor. I have plenty of space and would like to just resize the column so I can see the full title.

2. On the nomad PC client, if an episode is transcoding, it shows that it is preparing and the time left. If you hover your mouse over that episode, the text is replaced with a Cancel button. I'd like the text to still be there. There's no reason why it couldn't be.

- Merg

spam firewall