Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

The filter 'Ready to Download' shows content that's already transcoded and not on the client you're running. I've used it many times to replace expired content. If I remember correctly, there use to be a green 'Play' icon next to the transcoded programs in the playlist.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

The filter 'Ready to Download' shows content that's already transcoded and not on the client you're running. I've used it many times to replace expired content. If I remember correctly, there use to be a green 'Play' icon next to the transcoded programs in the playlist.

Got it. Never noticed that Filter before. That does help. I think I had only clicked on the Filter button when viewing the iPad list. The Ready For Download filter only appears if you click on the Filter button while viewing the DVR list.

The green 'Play' icon is what appears when viewing the DVR list if a show is already on the device. That does not display for shows that are just transcoded.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#83 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:12 PM

And yet another one...

The Ready to Download pop-up window on the nomad PC client is not sorted in any particular way. It is not alphabetical or sorted by recording date and there is no way to tell it how to sort it. It makes it very unreadable when you open up the client and have a list of 20 things that it wants to download to your PC. This is the window that opens up when you launch the nomad PC client and it finds transcoded episodes that are part of your Auto-Downloads.

- Merg

#84 ONLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,804 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

And yet another one...

The Ready to Download pop-up window on the nomad PC client is not sorted in any particular way. It is not alphabetical or sorted by recording date and there is no way to tell it how to sort it. It makes it very unreadable when you open up the client and have a list of 20 things that it wants to download to your PC. This is the window that opens up when you launch the nomad PC client and it finds transcoded episodes that are part of your Auto-Downloads.

- Merg

If you run into a time when you have a bunch to download here's your choices
-let them all go. even wireless, a 2hr movie downloads in 10 mins, so they d/l quick
-If theres a bunch, cancel all but one. Then that one goes first. Not too worry about cancelling the rest, just redo the download request and since the preparation is stored in Nomad, the rest aren't really lost. They go right back to the d/l queue.
-In my case, I just select a whole bunch of things I want, go to bed and they are done when I wake up.

#85 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

If you run into a time when you have a bunch to download here's your choices
-let them all go. even wireless, a 2hr movie downloads in 10 mins, so they d/l quick
-If theres a bunch, cancel all but one. Then that one goes first. Not too worry about cancelling the rest, just redo the download request and since the preparation is stored in Nomad, the rest aren't really lost. They go right back to the d/l queue.
-In my case, I just select a whole bunch of things I want, go to bed and they are done when I wake up.

I do realize that. My point was that the list is pretty unorganized so finding what you want to download is not easy.

- Merg

#86 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

The delete program function doesn't seem to work at all on my iPad. I'm using iOS 6 beta 3, so that may have something to do with it, but I suspect that iOS 6 will be out soon - the beta 3 seems almost ready for primetime.

Also, as I have mentioned ad nauseum, the iP* nomad app needs to be a functional standalone app - and be able to tell the Nomad device when to transcode and/or download the next program - without remaining in the foreground and without relying on a PC to always have its Nomad program running to control the Nomad device - it should be usable and unintrusive as a standalone app - no PC required.

#87 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

The delete program function doesn't seem to work at all on my iPad. I'm using iOS 6 beta 3, so that may have something to do with it, but I suspect that iOS 6 will be out soon - the beta 3 seems almost ready for primetime.

Also, as I have mentioned ad nauseum, the iP* nomad app needs to be a functional standalone app - and be able to tell the Nomad device when to transcode and/or download the next program - without remaining in the foreground and without relying on a PC to always have its Nomad program running to control the Nomad device - it should be usable and unintrusive as a standalone app - no PC required.

If you tell a show to download via the iPad and it starts to transcode, is the transcoding stopping when you close out the app? I thought I tried that and the show transcoded, but it just did not download until I reopened the app a few hours later.

- Merg

#88 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:57 AM

Transcoding has not stopped for me when I close any client. The requesting client will pop up a 'do you want to download now' list when you re-open.

And those transcodes are available to download to any client.

#89 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

If you tell a show to download via the iPad and it starts to transcode, is the transcoding stopping when you close out the app? I thought I tried that and the show transcoded, but it just did not download until I reopened the app a few hours later.

- Merg

I'm testing that right now. What does it mean when the "Status" light (the one on the left) is slowly pulsing blue?

#90 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 24 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'm testing that right now. What does it mean when the "Status" light (the one on the left) is slowly pulsing blue?

Slow blink means it's transcoding a program, fast blink means it's transfering a transcoded program to your client device.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#91 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:03 PM

OK, I figured out what the problem is - I had a movie that had transcoded and was ready to download - but I didn't have room because I can't delete anything that is on the iPad (as I said previously, that may have to do with the version of iOS that I'm using).

Each time I opened the iPad app, it showed that that movie was ready for download. Today I selected two episodes of a tv show, the first episode showed up as preparing. I closed the app, waited a couple of hours and then re-opened it.

What it shows now is the second episode preparing, but now it doesn't show the first episode that is ready for download and no longer shows the movie that was ready for download - they don't show up as ready for download unless I go back to the DVR tab and find them manually.

So, in essence, if you pick one episode or movie to transcode and download, it will show up as ready to download in the download tab after transcoding finishes, but if you select another item to transcode and download, the iP* app forgets about the first program that has finished transcoding and is ready to download - same thing happens if you pick two items to transcode - it will only display the last item you put in the queue once the first item finishes transcoding, and you have to go back to the DVR tab to select the item to download.

But it did seem to keep the queue on the Nomad transcode device itself, I didn't have to keep the app open (except to download).

And now, since I cannot delete any downloaded programs off of the iPad, it's full and I'll have to delete the Nomad app, wait 30 days and then re-add the app - or maybe not, I'm not sure if that is enforced or if that only matter if you delete the device from the list on directv.com (which, last I checked was not possible).

Edited by Fraaaak, 24 July 2012 - 04:09 PM.
clarity

#92 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

Slow blink means it's transcoding a program, fast blink means it's transfering a transcoded program to your client device.

Then what does the "Activity" light indicate when it flashes?

#93 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,227 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:11 PM

OK, I figured out what the problem is - I had a movie that had transcoded and was ready to download - but I didn't have room because I can't delete anything that is on the iPad (as I said previously, that may have to do with the version of iOS that I'm using).

Each time I opened the iPad app, it showed that that movie was ready for download. Today I selected two episodes of a tv show, the first episode showed up as preparing. I closed the app, waited a couple of hours and then re-opened it.

What it shows now is the second episode preparing, but now it doesn't show the first episode that is ready for download and no longer shows the movie that was ready for download - they don't show up as ready for download unless I go back to the DVR tab and find them manually.

So, in essence, if you pick one episode or movie to transcode and download, it will show up as ready to download in the download tab after transcoding finishes, but if you select another item to transcode and download, the iP* app forgets about the first program that has finished transcoding and is ready to download - same thing happens if you pick two items to transcode - it will only display the last item you put in the queue once the first item finishes transcoding, and you have to go back to the DVR tab to select the item to download.

And now, since I cannot delete any downloaded programs off of the iPad, it's full and I'll have to delete the Nomad app, wait 30 days and then re-add the app - or maybe not, I'm not sure if that is enforced or if that only matter if you delete the device from the list on directv.com (which, last I checked was not possible).

While viewing the list of shows on the iPad, click on Filter and then select Ready to Download and see what it shows.

- Merg

#94 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:17 PM

Wait, it gets weirder: as I was typing this, the bar that says "Downloading 1 of 1" (which is kind of misleading, because it is actually transcoding) with a progress bar and an up arrow on the right to open up that section changed after a bit, and said "One video ready to download" (or some such) and it opened and showed the movie that I was referring to previously.

When hit the "Close" button, it was back to showing "Downloading 1 of 1" (but it's actually transcoding 1 of 1) and now the movie doesn't show up unless I search the DVR tab for it.

#95 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

While viewing the list of shows on the iPad, click on Filter and then select Ready to Download and see what it shows.

- Merg

It shows transcoded programs that are ready for download. But that option is on the DVR tab, not the iPad tab.

Edited by Fraaaak, 24 July 2012 - 04:30 PM.

#96 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

I've clicked "Send Logs" - not sure to where, but they're sent.

#97 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 04:56 PM

I think some of the confusion is semantics. The client apps don't really use the word 'transcoding' - we just know that's Phase 1 of the 'Download' process.

It does show 'Preparing' for xxx client and the 'Ready to Download' filter or the 'Do you want to download these' screens are the indication that these programs are sitting on Nomad ready for download or ready to complete what that client requested.

#98 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

It is semantics, I agree - but since other screens in app use "Preparing" and "Downloading", that does add to the confusion. Especially when it displays as it does on this remarkably clean iPad (picture attached). Note the downloading and preparing refer to the same item.

As to the "n Video(s) Pending Download" confusion I was having - it seems you only see that message when you start the Nomad app - once you click on that and then close it, you can never get back to that message unless you exit and restart the app.

Also, the problem I'm having with deleting items seems to be a problem with the nomad app handling any of these types of messages (second image attached) - not just the delete messages, but others, like the one shown. You click OK and nothing happens.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0244cropped.jpg
  • IMG_0246.jpg

#99 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,164 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

I'd say if you're using iOS 6 beta 3, all bets are off.

#100 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'd say if you're using iOS 6 beta 3, all bets are off.

Agreed. But release is supposedly not too far off: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

Edited by Fraaaak, 24 July 2012 - 07:38 PM.

spam firewall