Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Also, the problem I'm having with deleting items seems to be a problem with the nomad app handling any of these types of messages (second image attached) - not just the delete messages, but others, like the one shown. You click OK and nothing happens.

When you write "nothing happens" so you tap OK and the message remains on screen?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 01:24 AM

When you write "nothing happens" so you tap OK and the message remains on screen?

Yes, on all pop-up messages while within the Nomad app. I am on a beta iOS build, though.

Also having a problem with dbstalk.com app - I type in a message, but when I try to post it I get a message to the effect that there are 0 characters in my post, please add more - I'm not sure who handles that app, but I'm sure they're working on it in time for the iOS 6 release...

#103 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Agreed. But release is supposedly not too far off: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

Major iOS upgrades seem to usually fall in line with hardware releases from what I remember. That means iOS6 will probably be released alongside the new iPhone this fall (early September is the last rumor I read).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#104 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

It shows transcoded programs that are ready for download. But that option is on the DVR tab, not the iPad tab.

That's where the option should be. You click on the DVR tab and can see the filter of shows that are ready to be downloaded to the iPad.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#105 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:19 AM

Lol. Discussing iOS 6 when nomad app doesn't even support features released in ios 4 and below (ie multitasking).

#106 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

Lol. Discussing iOS 6 when nomad app doesn't even support features released in ios 4 and below (ie multitasking).

Not exactly a fair assessment. As I understand it, for all purposes, iOS multitasking is not really multitasking. Except for a few APIs, when you multitask in iOS, you are actually just putting an app into a pause/stop state. With the nomad and DirecTV apps, it needs to reauthorize use of the app when you switch back to it.

- Merg

#107 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:32 AM

Odd behavior. After a few minutes, both switched to waiting. I rebooted the receiver and it went back to normal.

photo.jpg

Setup

Ken

#108 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:50 AM

Not exactly a fair assessment. As I understand it, for all purposes, iOS multitasking is not really multitasking. Except for a few APIs, when you multitask in iOS, you are actually just putting an app into a pause/stop state. With the nomad and DirecTV apps, it needs to reauthorize use of the app when you switch back to it.

While for the most part ithis is true, there are several states you (or iOS on it's own) can put your app into:

Not running
The app has not been launched or was running but was terminated by the system.

Inactive
The app is running in the foreground but is currently not receiving events. (It may be executing other code though.) An app usually stays in this state only briefly as it transitions to a different state.

Active
The app is running in the foreground and is receiving events. This is the normal mode for foreground apps.

Background
The app is in the background and executing code. Most apps enter this state briefly on their way to being suspended. However, an app that requests extra execution time may remain in this state for a period of time. In addition, an app being launched directly into the background enters this state instead of the inactive state. For information about how to execute code while in the background, see “Background Execution and Multitasking.”

and Suspended
The app is in the background but is not executing code. The system moves apps to this state automatically and does not notify them before doing so. While suspended, an app remains in memory but does not execute any code.
When a low-memory condition occurs, the system may purge suspended apps without notice to make more space for the foreground app.

This, of course is from iOS documentation, and even if you could do this, there's no guarantee Apple would approve the app.

You can do a keep-alive routine to keep the app running, but even that is no guarantee of the app not getting killed eventually, for instance if RAM fills up.

In order for this to possibly be accomplished, that Nomad would have to have the ability to notify the Nomad iPad app, while it is in the background (and released as much memory as possible in the meantime) and wait for event messages from the Nomad box itself. If you can get into the iOS documentation, it's the "external-accessory—The app works with a hardware accessory that needs to deliver updates on a regular schedule through the External Accessory framework." section.

Easier than that (setting up push notifications to the iPad informing you when a program(s) are ready to transfer could be a middle step. Apple has many object set up to do this VOIP, but I don't see them moving quickly on making it easer to do with video.

#109 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Odd behavior. After a few minutes, both switched to waiting. I rebooted the receiver and it went back to normal.

[ATTACH]29661[/ATTACH]

I have like 100 things on my DVR and my nomad (directv ipad app as well) keeps only showing 3 recordings its usually the same 3. Another DVR in the home is doing it to but not as often as the main dvr I use.

Really annoying though because it keeps deleting everything on the nomad. I have about 75 different program titles on my DVR actually and a view of a few of the programs on it not all 75ish when its working properly.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0757.PNG
  • IMG_0265.PNG
  • IMG_0272.PNG
  • IMG_0264.PNG

#110 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have like 100 things on my DVR and my nomad (directv ipad app as well) keeps only showing 3 recordings its usually the same 3. Another DVR in the home is doing it to but not as often as the main dvr I use.

Really annoying though because it keeps deleting everything on the nomad. I have about 75 different program titles on my DVR actually and a view of a few of the programs on it not all 75ish when its working properly.

Is your DVR that you are having problems with a HR34?

- Merg

#111 OFFLINE   airedale

airedale

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:08 AM

As of late, I have been experiencing some audio sync issues. My device is an iPad 3rd gen. Is anyone else experiencing this?

#112 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:31 PM

Just downloaded the mac 1.0.0-ReleaseCandidate file from directv.com - I notice that it doesn't implement full-screen mode - which has been around since Lion. Is that coming soon?

#113 OFFLINE   irlspotter

irlspotter

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

My Nomad stopped working - when I started it it displayed error 2-2-2. Call D* and tech support had me uninstall software on my laptop, and remove user settings. Then I rebooted laptop and re-install. Only see some of the recordings.

D* said to reset the Nomad by holding down the red button for 30 seconds, then another uninstall and reinstall.

Still only shows some of the recordings.

Anybody got an ideas.

Dan

#114 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

My Nomad stopped working - when I started it it displayed error 2-2-2. Call D* and tech support had me uninstall software on my laptop, and remove user settings. Then I rebooted laptop and re-install. Only see some of the recordings.

D* said to reset the Nomad by holding down the red button for 30 seconds, then another uninstall and reinstall.

Anybody got an ideas.

Dan

When you write some of the recordings, do you mean some on a single DVR show up or you get all on one or more DVRs, but its not showing you all the recordings from a different DVR?

Making sure that you aren't confusing the HR34 unified playlist with other DVRs in the home.

And did you try rebooting the HR34?

#115 OFFLINE   irlspotter

irlspotter

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

When you write some of the recordings, do you mean some on a single DVR show up or you get all on one or more DVRs, but its not showing you all the recordings from a different DVR?

Making sure that you aren't confusing the HR34 unified playlist with other DVRs in the home.

And did you try rebooting the HR34?

No, I only have recording on my HR34 - and only a few of them are showing up in the Nomad Program - not all of them. Yes, rebooted the HR34.

#116 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,153 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

No, I only have recording on my HR34 - and only a few of them are showing up in the Nomad Program - not all of them. Yes, rebooted the HR34.

OTA, PPV and VOD won't show up. But you probably knew that.

And the ones missing, are they various one of kind programs, series, particular sports? Anything in common with the missing recordings?

#117 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Anybody got an ideas.

Dan

This is a known bug. Sometimes deleting a recording off the HR34 and recording something new will cause the Nomad to refresh so the recordings will show up. You can verify this bug by looking at the PlayList via the iPad app. Those same recordings will be missing from the iPad app PlayList as well.

- Merg

#118 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:52 AM

Is your DVR that you are having problems with a HR34?

- Merg

I have an HR22 and HR24 that are both having the issue. No Hr34, I've replaced my router broadband deca and splitters to no avail. Issue with Nomad and iPad app.

#119 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

The delete program function doesn't seem to work at all on my iPad. I'm using iOS 6 beta 3, so that may have something to do with it, but I suspect that iOS 6 will be out soon - the beta 3 seems almost ready for primetime.

for the record, the delete program function is working with iOS6 beta 4 :D

Edited by Fraaaak, 08 August 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#120 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

Issue with Nomad and iPad app.

The nomad and iPad app both pull the PlayLists in the same way, so if one is missing a show the other will too.

- Merg

Protected By... spam firewall...And...