Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Is 2 1/2 hours the normal time to transcode a 1/2 hour HD show?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

I activated my new Nomad last night and it works fine on my iPads and PC. On the Mac Mini, I get audio, but no video. I called customer service and I was told they will call back tomorrow. Search doesn't seem that anybody else has had this issue.

#123 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

I activated my new Nomad last night and it works fine on my iPads and PC. On the Mac Mini, I get audio, but no video. I called customer service and I was told they will call back tomorrow. Search doesn't seem that anybody else has had this issue.

On your mac mini - how are connecting to monitor/speakers?

#124 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,312 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Which customer service? What software versions on nomad and on Mac?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#125 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Which customer service? What software versions on nomad and on Mac?

Directv customer service.

Mac is OS Mountain Lion Software OS X 10.8 (12A269)
Nomad is 1.0.0 Firmware 1.2p.27-53011S

#126 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:56 PM

Is 2 1/2 hours the normal time to transcode a 1/2 hour HD show?

No. A half-hour show takes about 30 minutes to transcode.

#127 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

On your mac mini - how are connecting to monitor/speakers?

connect to monitor with DVI and mini audio cable. Don't have any problem with audio/video on other apps, including Vulkano and recorded mp4 movies.

#128 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Not sure if these could be the issues or not but I know they caused problems with DirecTV2PC. Are your monitor and video card HDCP protected? Do you have a screen capture program installed?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#129 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

Opened up my Nomad PC client last night. Got an error 2-2-2 said my nomad required authorization and to try a reset. Did that several times and rebooted my PC. Same error. Called DirecTV and after they checked to see what I had done, they asked "have you recently changed your password." "Yes, last week." "Then you have to uninstall the PC Client and reinstall it as there is no way to update your password in the PC client." I did and that fixed the problem.

I don't mind losing the content on the PC, but I also lost my auto-download listings. There has to be a better way to change the password on the client than uninstalling/reinstalling.

#130 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Not sure if these could be the issues or not but I know they caused problems with DirecTV2PC. Are your monitor and video card HDCP protected? Do you have a screen capture program installed?

I got a reply on the Directv technical forum that Mountain Lion is not yet supported by Directv.

#131 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:58 AM

I got a reply on the Directv technical forum that Mountain Lion is not yet supported by Directv.

I am sure that will get fixed. Also on the horizon this year is more enhancements, although they haven't said specifically what those enhancements are yet.

Also a dedicated nomad app for the iPad is coming as well. :).

#132 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Actually, I have the release candidate (available from directv.com) running on Mt. Lion and works great. One thing you might look at is under "Sound" in System Preferences and check that on the "Output" tab the correct output device is selected - when my Mac Mini is connected to my iMac, it's listed as Color LCD (that is via minidisplay port) or when I connect to a tv via HDMI, the correct output device is listed as "HDMI" someting or other. If you're getting the picture to go through, then HDCP isn't the problem.

#133 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

Actually, I have the release candidate (available from directv.com) running on Mt. Lion and works great. One thing you might look at is under "Sound" in System Preferences and check that on the "Output" tab the correct output device is selected - when my Mac Mini is connected to my iMac, it's listed as Color LCD (that is via minidisplay port) or when I connect to a tv via HDMI, the correct output device is listed as "HDMI" someting or other. If you're getting the picture to go through, then HDCP isn't the problem.

That's encouraging. Problem is I am getting sound, but no video. Also, someone else is reporting same problem who hasn't upgraded to Mountain Lion.

#134 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

That's encouraging. Problem is I am getting sound, but no video. Also, someone else is reporting same problem who hasn't upgraded to Mountain Lion.

Ahh, I misread your OP - what kind of monitor/video connection type are you using and what model MacMini?

#135 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

connect to monitor with DVI and mini audio cable. Don't have any problem with audio/video on other apps, including Vulkano and recorded mp4 movies.

DVI is not HDCP compatible, I believe. However, I just tried the same setup on a MacMini 5,3 (Mid 2011 server) using minidisplayport connections (which is HDCP compatible), and the graphics in the system is Intel HD
Graphics 3000 - http://software.inte...essor-graphics/ - which is also HDCP compatible and I am running into the same problem as you - audio and no sound.

I don't think that HDCP is the issue here, as I was able to run the windoze nomad exe inside a VMWare Fusion virtual machine with no problem (and that is definitely NOT HDCP compatible), so it seems to be a bug in the Nomad program as far as the MacMini goes.

I know I can hook up MacGo's BlueRay player and watch a a bluray movie running on the mini connected via either HDMI or minidisplayport to either my TV or 27" iMac i7, also I can watch DirecTV 1080p Cinema movies off of my HR20-700 connected via an HDMI to minidisplayport adapter cable, and I know those ARE HDCPed.

So, looks like a bug in the Nomad app for os x from my point of view, sorry.

Edited by Fraaaak, 10 August 2012 - 03:05 PM.

#136 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Some additional feature requests...

TrickPlay Enhancements
When viewing a recording, there should be buttons for 30Slip/30Skip and SkipBack available. Having to use the slider to FF and RW is not very convenient or easy.

Delete Episode Improvements
When deleting an episode, after confirmation of the deletion, the app stays on the Episode Info screen. You then need to hit Back to go back to the Series Episode list or the Main Episode List. After deleting a show, it should automatically go back. If the show deleted is the last of a series, it should go all the way back to the Main Episode List.

Swipe to Delete
The app should allow you to use the iOS swipe to delete functionality in order to quickly delete items.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#137 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

I've had my Nomad up and running for about 2 months. In that time I've set up 3 or 4 "series" to auto-download. These have worked flawlessly for the most part.

A few weeks ago I set up a series to auto-download to my iphone from the nomad. Its a sports related show on one of the CSN's (642) called "Training Camp Daily". For the first week the show seemed to transcode to the Nomad fine---and then download to my iphone without an issue.

For the last week or so the transcoding has been hit and miss. I can SEE some episodes START to transcode ("Preparing" shows up on my iphone....and then the progress bar shows it moving from :30 to :20 to :10 etc...)...but it never FINISHES...and is never available to download to my iphone. I tried this with my ipod touch...and then tried it with my Windows Netbook...same issue. The episodes never transcode---and never seem to be "on" the nomad. I'm talking about days and days of attempts. Some episodes start preparing...then seem to get to 1 minute...and then start again. The rest of the episodes say "Waiting to Prepare"....but never start to prepare.

I've uninstalled the apps on the ipod touch/iphone...I've done a red button reboot on the nomad....left the nomad unplugged overnight. No love.

Any ideas? I haven't contacted D* yet. Running version 2.0.1 on the iphone/ipod touch.
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#138 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

It does stop if someone is using the DVR. It doesn't want to mess up your watching for background transcoding.

Setup

Ken

#139 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

It does stop if someone is using the DVR. It doesn't want to mess up your watching for background transcoding.

Thanks for the reply. So does it stop when someone is using the DVR that the show is recorded onto or does it stop if ANY of the DVR's are in use on the system. I have all 5 of my HDDVR's set up using ethernet through my router BTW.
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#140 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

I believe transcoding only stops if someone tries to use Whole Home DVR to watch a recording off the same DVR you are transcoding a show from. You can only stream one show at a time from a DVR so it has to stop the transcoding in order to use Whole Home DVR. DirecTV chose to give Whole Home DVR priority over Nomad transcoding, which I think was a good idea, I think a lot of people would be complaining if they couldn't use Whole Home DVR because something was transcoding.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...