Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad Software: Spring 2012 Issues/Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

The exception to the above is the HR34, which can stream to 3 remote devices at a time, so nomad would be able to transcode from a HR34 along with two WHDVR sessions to other STB's.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

There needs to be more feedback to the nomad user in those cases though. To the user, it just appears as nomad is not working as it just sits at "Preparing".

I know I first thought the app was not working. It didn't occur to me right away that since I was watching a show via MRV while setting up stuff to download that nothing was going to work until I was done watching my show.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#143 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I believe transcoding only stops if someone tries to use Whole Home DVR to watch a recording off the same DVR you are transcoding a show from. You can only stream one show at a time from a DVR so it has to stop the transcoding in order to use Whole Home DVR. DirecTV chose to give Whole Home DVR priority over Nomad transcoding, which I think was a good idea, I think a lot of people would be complaining if they couldn't use Whole Home DVR because something was transcoding.

Nope--I get the concept. Just trying to rationalize why my other shows are transcoding off that DVR during the day/night when that particular DVR is in use...by this ONE show/series WILL NOT finish transcoding!!!! I will make it a point tonight to make sure NO ONE is watching anything from that DVR and try to manually start transcoding one (i.e. turn off the autorecord for that show) to see if it will at least complete ONE episodes transcoding.

Thx
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#144 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

There needs to be more feedback to the nomad user in those cases though. To the user, it just appears as nomad is not working as it just sits at "Preparing".

I know I first thought the app was not working. It didn't occur to me right away that since I was watching a show via MRV while setting up stuff to download that nothing was going to work until I was done watching my show.

- Merg

+1

I know people who don't want to buy into the Nomad because of everything they've read online negative with regards to the reliability/effectiveness of the unit. I was the guinea pig---and I was giving positive feedback trying to push friends into getting one....but now that I'm running into issues...and don't really have a reason as to "why" it's not working...just that it's "not working". Thankfully I turn to the web/forums to find answers...unlike the countless people who just put the thing back into the box and either return it, or just let it sit there, hoping that it will be improved and "work" right out of the box with little thinking involved.

:eek2:
D* sub
1 HR20/3 HR21's/1 HR22/1 AM21/3 R15's /5LNB/3LNB/single LNB dishes...and a large utility bill!!!

#145 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

I spoke with Directv this morning regarding not having video. I was told engineering was aware of the issue and that a software update will be coming out on August 23 to correct it. Not sure if the update is addressing any other issues.

#146 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

I have seen some videos recorded during thunderstorms that had trouble transcoding. Could it be a bad recording?

Setup

Ken

#147 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

So yesterday AM before I leave for work I check my nomad app on the iphone and see the screen cap below regarding my "...DIRECTV account has been disabled. There is a problem with your directv account".

When I get home I deleted the app (knowing full well I'm going to lose the stuff I had on it waiting to view) and when I reopen it won't open--I believe I was getting messages telling me it couldn't find the nomad--so I kept hitting "Try again"--and it finally loaded up content, checked for updates, etc...

This AM--I check the iphone---and again, I have the message that "Your directv account has been disabled". Awesome

I then check my ipod touch...and my wife's iphone---both are fine, downloading content, operating properly.

I then check my netbook (with Windows XP OS) and lo and behold the 2 screen caps below show up regarding a problem with the directv account--and the system error. I have 5 3 hours baseball games on the netbook and if I have to reinstall the app on there I'm going to be extremely annoyed as I"m not even sure if the games are still on the nomad.

I have 7.5 GB of space left on the nomad according to the "?" on my ipod touch.

WTF?

I tried calling D*'s 800# at 6am before I left for work...and they apparently have an 8-10pm window for phone service. Not sure when those hours went into effect because I know I've been on the phone with them in the wee hours of the AM/PM....

VERY Frustrated right now. VERY......

Attached Thumbnails

• iphonenomad.png
  • accntvalreq.jpg
  • 2-1024-2.jpg

D* sub

#148 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

The link below is a repost of a position reason for why I've been unable to prepare/download mutliple shows/series/games airing on different RSN's . Hopefully someone who works at DirecTV can investigate this possibility....

http://www.dbstalk.c...94&postcount=87

You're definitely onto something there. I had 2 separate "discoveries" recently when trying to diagnose just WHY shows would go through the "preparing" stage--sometimes almost FULLY preparing (i.e. 1 minute left) and then it would start preparing again.

First issue: As above in one of my original posts, I had one series (on an out of market RSN) that was working fine for the first week of the shows airing. Then all of a sudden it would get to the point where it would almost FULLY prepare each episode...and then...poof....start from the beginning again. I sat down to watch a few of the episodes (that I couldn't get onto my iphone/netbook) on my TV to figure out WTF was up. Turns out at the end of almost EVERYONE (i.e AFTER the show actually ended and the next show was starting) a black box popped up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen stating that the following show was blacked out---so I'm guessing the nomad read that information and would NOT finish downloading the showing.

Second issue: I had one episode of a show that WOULD prepare for about 20-30 seconds and immediately stop. I sat down to watch that show...and as you said above, there was a visual "glitch" on the screen for about 1-2 minutes---possibly a thunderstorm came through...thus screwing up the recording for only a few minutes---but it must throw off the nomad and make it stop preparing.

It's a shame that there's no way for the nomad to TELL YOU why it won't finish downloading or for some on screen prompt to pop up telling you that the recording has some issues and therefore can not prepare/download.

I can only imagine how many people just take the Nomad and return it or will do nothing but complain about how it's a piece of junk--instead of understanding (easily) just WHY a particular show/episode/channel isn't working properly on the preparation/downloading stages.

:mad:

D* sub

#149 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I spoke with Directv this morning regarding not having video. I was told engineering was aware of the issue and that a software update will be coming out on August 23 to correct it. Not sure if the update is addressing any other issues.

Didn't happen?

#150 OFFLINE   billcoff

billcoff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Didn't happen?

Not yet. I got a call from a CSR that the update had been delayed until August 31. When that didn't happen I got another call a few days later that the update is now scheduled for October 2.

#151 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

Not yet. I got a call from a CSR that the update had been delayed until August 31. When that didn't happen I got another call a few days later that the update is now scheduled for October 2.

It's kind of ticking me off. They never told me when there would be an update but that all my issues are "known" and they kept calling me I was telling them I don't have anymore information and that they could just close the case. I have a phantom missing recordings on the nomad and directv ipad apps.

#152 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:48 AM

It's kind of ticking me off. They never told me when there would be an update but that all my issues are "known" and they kept calling me I was telling them I don't have anymore information and that they could just close the case. I have a phantom missing recordings on the nomad and DirecTV ipad apps.

I suspect an update will still happen in the near future sometime, and don't assume the CSR's always have the correct and latest information (dates) on these kinds of things.

They communicate what they are told, and things like updates change as they are completed and rolled out. We've seen this happen before on various services.

Hang tight just a little longer...I suspect you'll be rewarded with an improved nomad user experience.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#153 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

Is 2 1/2 hours the normal time to transcode a 1/2 hour HD show?

No. A half-hour show takes about 30 minutes to transcode.

trh's response is pretty much on target.

The process to migrate content from nomad to your mobile device(s) is a 2-step process - the first transcodes at a rate of about 1:1. This means an hour show takes about an hour to create the recording file. The second step is much faster - downloading it to the mobile device. I had a 4-hour recording download in about 17.5 minutes (subject to WIFI router speed).

For a quick migration of a single program 1 hour or less to a mobile device...it's quite painless. For moving over a list of programming, it's recommended as an overnight scheduled activity.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#154 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

trh's response is pretty much on target.

The process to migrate content from nomad to your mobile device(s) is a 2-step process - the first transcodes at a rate of about 1:1. This means an hour show takes about an hour to create the recording file. The second step is much faster - downloading it to the mobile device. I had a 4-hour recording download in about 17.5 minutes (subject to WIFI router speed).

For a quick migration of a single program 1 hour or less to a mobile device...it's quite painless. For moving over a list of programming, it's recommended as an overnight scheduled activity.

And to add to that... If you are transcoding a show from a DVR and then decide to watch a program remotely from that same DVR, the transcoding appears to pause since the DVR can only output one stream at a time. I've seen this happen a few times to me.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#155 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:45 AM

I have a message for DIRECTV. Click here. This is what I want my Nomad to do. Match feature for feature and integrate into the existing DIRECTV iPad/iPhone apps. Thank you. :-)

#156 OFFLINE   Howie

Howie

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Since I went to iOS 6 on my iPad and iPhone, I can't get Nomad to even recognize the devices. It tells me that I am missing some components. Anyone else have this problem? I deleted and reinstalled the app on both, but no love. The devices show up on network scans and such.

#157 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

No problem with IOS 6 on iPhone 4S or 5 or iPad 2 or 3.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#158 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

So yesterday AM before I leave for work I check my nomad app on the iphone and see the screen cap below regarding my "...DIRECTV account has been disabled. There is a problem with your directv account".

When I get home I deleted the app (knowing full well I'm going to lose the stuff I had on it waiting to view) and when I reopen it won't open--I believe I was getting messages telling me it couldn't find the nomad--so I kept hitting "Try again"--and it finally loaded up content, checked for updates, etc...

This AM--I check the iphone---and again, I have the message that "Your directv account has been disabled". Awesome

I then check my ipod touch...and my wife's iphone---both are fine, downloading content, operating properly.

I then check my netbook (with Windows XP OS) and lo and behold the 2 screen caps below show up regarding a problem with the directv account--and the system error. I have 5 3 hours baseball games on the netbook and if I have to reinstall the app on there I'm going to be extremely annoyed as I"m not even sure if the games are still on the nomad.

I have 7.5 GB of space left on the nomad according to the "?" on my ipod touch.

WTF?

I tried calling D*'s 800# at 6am before I left for work...and they apparently have an 8-10pm window for phone service. Not sure when those hours went into effect because I know I've been on the phone with them in the wee hours of the AM/PM....

VERY Frustrated right now. VERY......

Well, for me, the above has once again reared it's ugly head!!! On my Iphone 4s, my wife's iphone 4 and my ipod touch. Haven't gotten a chance to check the Acer Netbook yet....but again, I get the message about "Your Directv account has been disabled"....to which I angrily checked to make sure the nomad was accessible and on the wireless network. I even rebooted the nomad and router, turned off all iphods/iphones and then restarted one at a time to see if it "fixed" anything (as one poster either on here or on the directv.com forums said was a "fix"). I then deleted the app on my iphone 4s---and my iphone had the message of being "Unable to add your device (AR/1001)".

So now I can't wait to go home and call D*'s case management team.

Like I said earlier, the nomad is just so damn frustrating. For me, it was about 45 days of *somewhat* "joy"...and then, WHAM, no joy ! :mad:
D* sub

#159 OFFLINE   Lowpro

Lowpro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

Well, for me, the above has once again reared it's ugly head!!! On my Iphone 4s, my wife's iphone 4 and my ipod touch. Haven't gotten a chance to check the Acer Netbook yet....but again, I get the message about "Your Directv account has been disabled"....to which I angrily checked to make sure the nomad was accessible and on the wireless network. I even rebooted the nomad and router, turned off all iphods/iphones and then restarted one at a time to see if it "fixed" anything (as one poster either on here or on the directv.com forums said was a "fix"). I then deleted the app on my iphone 4s---and my iphone had the message of being "Unable to add your device (AR/1001)".

So now I can't wait to go home and call D*'s case management team.

Like I said earlier, the nomad is just so damn frustrating. For me, it was about 45 days of *somewhat* "joy"...and then, WHAM, no joy ! :mad:

See here.

#160 OFFLINE   JAYPB

JAYPB

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:39 AM

See here.

Not sure how I didn't see that thread when I logged in yesterday AM! Suffice to say at 7pm when I got home every device I have was able to access the nomad...but again, we uninstalled and reinstalled the app on each device so I'm not sure if standing pat would've allowed everything to work properly without having to uninstall/reinstall.

Luckily I didn't have any recordings of consequence that I couldn't retranscode/download off the nomad again (i.e. I hadn't deleted them off the HD-DVR in the interim). That wasn't the case the last time this happened.
D* sub

spam firewall