Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A 19 year old game blackout? Really!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 646 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

What's the F ing deal with channel 692, L.A.Kings classics game of Leafs @ Kings from 1993 being blacked out on channel 692!!!! What the hell is sports pack really for!:nono:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Who do you think owns the rights to that game broadcast? The NHL. Not DirecTV's fault.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:58 AM

Who do you think owns the rights to that game broadcast? The NHL. Not DirecTV's fault.

Some people are like a puppy. First you have to show them the stick. Then you can throw it.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   Pete K.

Pete K.

Icon

• Registered
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Sea Bass;

Those classic games are blacked out so you won't even think about jumping into your time machine and going back 19 years.

#5 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

My guess is that someone at Directv saw Leafs/Kings and shut off 692 in error. The NHL doesnt black out classic games.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

My guess is that someone at Directv saw Leafs/Kings and shut off 692 in error. The NHL doesnt black out classic games.

Hoosier205 assures us that DIRECTV doesn't err.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   ProfLonghair

ProfLonghair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,110 posts
  • LocationCMH

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

I find it creepy that they keep track of where you lived 19 years ago just to black out classic games.
:pinkie:

#8 OFFLINE   Jive Turkey

Jive Turkey

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:01 PM

The NHL usually doesn't black out these old games so I'm guessing this was an error. MLB on the other hand seems to get its kicks by blacking out games that are a decade old. Ticks me off just thinking about it!

#9 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,630 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

Really, isn't it The Tribune that codes all that stuff? It's a monumental task, and I am sure DIRECTV® can step in to make corrections, but they can't double check every program.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#10 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

Really, isn't it The Tribune that codes all that stuff? It's a monumental task, and I am sure DIRECTV® can step in to make corrections, but they can't double check every program.

What in the OP's post makes you assume this was a Tribune issue and not a D* issue?

But, as Harsh pointed out, Hoosier205 and Mystery have assured us it is the NHLs fault, even throwing in a condescending post against the OP, therefore it cannot possibly be the fault of Tribune or D*.

Edited by raott, 12 May 2012 - 05:56 AM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#11 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:58 AM

+1

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:07 AM

What in the OP's post makes you assume this was a Tribune issue and not a D* issue?

But, as Harsh pointed out, Hoosier205 and Mystery have assured us it is the NHLs fault, even throwing in a condescending post against the OP, therefore it cannot possibly be the fault of Tribune or D*.

DirecTV, as well as every other provider did not create the black out rules. But they do have to abide by them. If DirecTV was in error then shame on them. If not, then shame on the OP, Harsh , and you for looking to blame rather then looking for cause.

#13 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Sorry you couldn't watch it. Just in case you were wondering, the final score was the same as it was 19 years ago. ;) I received the sports pack as a freebee for 3 mo's. Watched my NHL teams pregame and post-game shows, so I enjoyed it. After the season ended, cancelled it.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#14 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

DirecTV, as well as every other provider did not create the black out rules. But they do have to abide by them. If DirecTV was in error then shame on them. If not, then shame on the OP, Harsh , and you for looking to blame rather then looking for cause.

Hmm, when reading the original post, I don't see him placing full blame on Directv. He's complaining that with all the blackouts that the sports pack is lacking value, but he doesn't explicitly state who is responsible for the blackouts. You could just as easily interpret his post to place blame on the owners of those channels.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#15 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

You need to re-read all of the posts. Not once did I blame D*, simply pointed out the immediate conclusion jumped to by Hoosier205 that it was the NHL's fault and not D*'s (no suprise there), followed by you piling on with your condescending post of the OP (it can be read no other way). You then "+1" on LAX's post which blamed Tribune when you had already agreed with Hoosier that it was the NHL's fault.

There were a few posts in the thread that did place the blame on D*, but those posts were not mine, not the OPs and not Harsh's, you seem to have missed them.

So save your "shame" for someone else.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#16 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,630 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

OK, now, can someone lay out the chain of who, where and when shows get tagged for blackout.

Additional credit for "new" "rerun" "premiere" and cast info, though I am pretty sure that's all Tribune.

No aspersions on others, no rehashing the bidding to date.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,537 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

OK, let me put it this way. The OP asked "What the hell is sports pack really for?" The answer is simple. For viewing programs and events that are not blacked out due to your location......you just have to learn to live with those pesky black out rules.

#18 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

When I was 19 I blacked out at a hockey match, but then, I'd drunk too much.

That wasn't DirecTV's fault, either.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#19 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:37 PM

When I was 19 I blacked out at a hockey match, but then, I'd drunk too much.

That wasn't DirecTV's fault, either.

When I was 17 I blacked out during a hockey game as well, but it was because I wasn't keeping my head up and got blasted. :)

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#20 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

OK, now, can someone lay out the chain of who, where and when shows get tagged for blackout.

Additional credit for "new" "rerun" "premiere" and cast info, though I am pretty sure that's all Tribune.

No aspersions on others, no rehashing the bidding to date.....

Tribune is not responsible for the blackouts. All Tribune is responsible for is the information displayed in the guide.

Since each sports league/organizational body (MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL, ETC) owns the copyright to all sporting events in its organization, they have the ultimate say in what will be shown or blacked out, when and where. The games, whether old or new, are commodities to be marketed for profit. Therefore, each organization writes its own rules on who has (or can purchase) the rights to its copyrighted material. They set the prices and the purchasers (RSNs, national/broadcast networks, even the consumer when it comes to a sports subscription) decide whether the price is fair and they will pay for the access. Therefore, if a RSN wanted to show a game (or a season) nationally, they could-they would just have to pay extra for that right. However, it is usually not cost effective for a RSN to pay for the rights beyond its home team marketing area, so they don't.

In essence, it is basic Business 101-contracts, rights, ownership and all that. Nothing personal, just business.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

spam firewall