Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A 19 year old game blackout? Really!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Tribune is not responsible for the blackouts. All Tribune is responsible for is the information displayed in the guide.

I'm not disputing—nor have I ever disputed—the part I deleted.

If someone who knows the chain of black out tags, please post it. Of course the owner of the rights determine what they are, but how is that implemented?

I.e., is it not possible that the Tribune sets these following instructions from the owner, but occasionally makes mistakes- and hence is "responsible" for some blackouts that shouldn't be? Or are these set by DIRECTV®, who'd then bear responsibility for errors?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:35 PM

I'm sure I'll regret posting this after reading through some of these replys, but again tonight a "classic game" on 693 is blacked out? Not blaming D*, just would like to get a clear answer. D* CSR I just talked to had no answer except the ol geographic / boundary blackout bs. Maybe it does apply to 19 year old games! Oh well, if someone does find out what the f.... I'd like to know! Thanks.

#23 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'm sure I'll regret posting this after reading through some of these replys, but again tonight a "classic game" on 693 is blacked out? Not blaming D*, just would like to get a clear answer. D* CSR I just talked to had no answer except the ol geographic / boundary blackout bs. Maybe it does apply to 19 year old games! Oh well, if someone does find out what the f.... I'd like to know! Thanks.

It has to do with rights holders. The RSN showing it only has the rights to show it to those in a specified territory.

Who benefits in deals that limit the number of viewers between the league and network? No idea, but they do, which explains why it's blacked out. It would seem to me the leagues would want their product (especially replays from years ago) to be seen by the most eyes possible but their own policies contradict that.

#24 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

Who benefits in deals that limit the number of viewers between the league and network?

There is a potential benefit for the league if they can sell the rights to another provider in another territory and bring in an additional fee. If no one else is willing to pay the fee, then no one benefits; however, if the league gave one RSN the national rights for the same fee as they paid for the regional rights just because no one else was willing to pay for a particular game, then no one would ever be willing to pay for national rights - they would pay for regional rights and hope that no one else wanted to show the game.

Often when a game is blacked out in a particular region it is because another obscure channel in that region, regardless of whether that channel is on DirecTV or available OTA, has paid for the rights for that region. Those blackouts even apply if the channel who has paid for the rights decides to preempt the broadcast and show something else. That happens all the time with WRAL in Raleigh. They have the rights to the CBS SEC games of the week, but if Duke, UNC, or NCSU are playing, they will preempt the SEC game to show one of the local teams, but the SEC game is still not available on DirecTV. I tried to get a waiver from WRAL so I could get the SEC game on the national CBS feed on DirecTV, but, of course, I was denied. WRAL has started showing the SEC games on 5.2, but that is not in HD. It is hard being a Kentucky fan in North Carolina.

#25 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

I blame FSN, there is no rhyme or reason to their blackout policies. I'm an Steeler fan having grown up in Pittsburgh. I'm in SoCal now and like to watch the Mike Tomlin press conference every week. It shows on Fox Pittsburgh on Tuesdays and repeats on Thursdays. The Tuesday showing is blacked out but the Thursday showing is not. Makes no sense, it is the exact same show.

#26 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,952 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

Sorry you couldn't watch it. Just in case you were wondering, the final score was the same as it was 19 years ago. ;) ...

I remember watching the taped broadcast of the 1980 USA/Russia Olympic semi-final hockey game after having listened to it live on the radio earlier. I was sick to my stomach through the whole game, worried that we couldn't beat them twice in one day.

#27 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,296 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

What games! We beat them by the exact same score both times.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#28 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:49 AM

Wait, is "San Berdoo"/San Bernardino your correct current location? If so, nothing on 692 or 693 should ever be blacked out for you, since they're your local RSNs, and you're in the Los Angeles DMA and the territories of all the teams involved.

I would suggest getting in touch with the executive customer service department at ellen.filipiak@directv.com to try to track down this problem -- my guess is that your ZIP code may be listed incorrectly in some of the databases DirecTV uses to determine blackouts.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...