Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nice Upgraded Install from Mastec

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteelersFan

SteelersFan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:36 PM

Usually my experience with Mastec in the past has been touch and go, but my R15 died and I needed to get a new one. I thought I would need a second line fished in the wall for an upgraded receiver so I scheduled an installer. At $50 total cost, I figured why not. I currently have an HR20 and two HR22 with MRV using my own Ethernet creation so I wasn't sure what would be required by adding a new HD receiver.

The tech arrived at the time slot promised and told me I didn't need a line fished through the wall anymore as only one RG6 cable is required with the SWM system. I was a little reluctant to upgrade to the SWM having already set up MRV with my Ethernet, but I figured why not. He quickly set me up in my attic with the power supplied SWM and a multi-distributor for the RG6 cabling.

Installer had everything wired and hooked up within an hour. Unfortunately, one of the transponders wasn't giving a signal high enough to pass installation on the new HR24. The installers (there was a trainee too) fiddled with the dish and still couldn't get a high enough signal. Eventually they replaced the entire satellite dish and the cabling on the side of the house and the unit finally passed installation.

The only other problem is that for some reason the HR24 wasn't upgrading all of the HD stations including some of the locals missing completely. He stayed on the phone with DirecTV for awhile to figure this out (they said to basically wait until it populates even though we waited over 30 minutes) and then he gave me his number to contact him if there were still any issues. The issue did eventually work itself out.

These guys from Mastec went above and beyond to assist with the installation. It was really good feeling. I'm fairly technically literate, but it was great having an installer who knew what he was doing and would stick it out until everything was working properly. Kudos to this unit from Mastec and DirecTV for getting me upgraded for $50 to a now, at least for a couple of years, future proof system.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

Nice to hear! Please do drop a line to DTV also and let them know as well. The tech will appreciate it im sure

#3 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Agreed, please do pass this info to Directv!.. About 2 weeks ago i had a service call for some issues that popped up after a heavy storm blew though the area.. They said that they where gonna send out a "Supervisor" for whatever reason (dunno why:confused:)

When the guy showed up, he looked everything over.. We chatted a bit, then he was more interested in selling me the 19.99 a month service plan than he was fixing my problems.

with any type of installation service there are good techs that really know what they are doing, okay techs that know enough to get the job done, or bad techs that never should have been in the truck... no matter what kind of service you get Directv need to know so they can do what the need to to make sure everyone gets the best service.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#4 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

Mastec is a pretty good company. Joe Mas was the Undercover Boss on NBC the other night. The remarkable thing about it, every employee was generally happy and spoke well of the company.

Had lunch with him once and he really is a very nice guy and cares about his customers.

But Directv installers weren't shown. It was some heavy duty lineman, gas line installers etc. Pretty big company.

If Mastec screws up and you send a letter to Miami HQ, I suspect things would be fixed pretty quick. Yes I know, there's bad apples out there.

#5 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:24 AM

Mastec is a pretty good company.........
If Mastec screws up and you send a letter to Miami HQ, I suspect things would be fixed pretty quick. Yes I know, there's bad apples out there.

!rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling This is too funny!

Mastec and incompetence are one and the same. There may be a good Mastec tech out there, but he is not working in the Roswell, GA area. I am glad the OP found one. There is not enough time or comment space to elaborate on all the Mastec screwups I have endured since 1994. The most recent is getting MRV working. Best wishes!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

spam firewall