Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swapping AU9 and SWM3 LNB?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   damonb

damonb

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

2 parts to this question:

1) I would like to swap AU9 5LNB at my house with my dads SWM-3, from reading up on the forums, it looks like the LNB's can easily be swapped out, but my question is, do I need to re-aim the dish, or is it going to be a quick and easy swap?

2) the reason I am doing this is because my setup receives channel 366, which according to the D* channel guide, requires special equipment and my dad's dish doesn't seem to receive that channel. I assume it is because 366 uses one of the sats on the other 2 LNB's? Is this right?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

366 is on the 119 SAT.
The LNB swap can be done carefully and not need a re-alignment, but if the dish wasn't aligned for 119 before, it may need to be.
Going from non SWiM to SWiM will be a bit more than "just swapping" the LNB though.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   damonb

damonb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:38 AM

366 is on the 119 SAT.
The LNB swap can be done carefully and not need a re-alignment, but if the dish wasn't aligned for 119 before, it may need to be.
Going from non SWiM to SWiM will be a bit more than "just swapping" the LNB though.

Yes, I know it includes more than the LNB swap, I need to move the power supply from his house to mine for the SWiM, and I need to move the multiswitch from my house to his. And then of course re-setup the type of dish on each box.

#4 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

2 parts to this question:

1) I would like to swap AU9 5LNB at my house with my dads SWM-3, from reading up on the forums, it looks like the LNB's can easily be swapped out, but my question is, do I need to re-aim the dish, or is it going to be a quick and easy swap? ...

If your 5 LNB is a SWM type as well, then yes you may swap it out with your Father's 3 LNB SWM one. I'd recommend making sure the dish bolts are tight first then carefully changeout the LNBs and rerun the satellite setup of course.

... 2) the reason I am doing this is because my setup receives channel 366, which according to the D* channel guide, requires special equipment and my dad's dish doesn't seem to receive that channel. I assume it is because 366 uses one of the sats on the other 2 LNB's? Is this right?

Yes, ch. 366 "Jewish Life TV" is on the 119W bird, and needs the 5 LNB to receive it.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:51 AM

Yes, I know it includes more than the LNB swap, I need to move the power supply from his house to mine for the SWiM, and I need to move the multiswitch from my house to his. And then of course re-setup the type of dish on each box.

Oh, I see;

Your Father's is SWiM while yours is legacy.

But while your Father will be happy to now get JLTV out of this, are you sure he won't mind having his system downgraded from SWIM to a legacy install this way?

#6 OFFLINE   damonb

damonb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

I just called D* and they are going to come out with a new setup for us. Just a question though, what other channels were only on the 5LNB that I didn't have on the 3LNB?

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,078 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I just called D* and they are going to come out with a new setup for us. Just a question though, what other channels were only on the 5LNB that I didn't have on the 3LNB?

For English unless your SD locals come from there, not much;

Just JLTV, Hope TV (religious Channel), an Informercial Channel (can't remember the name at the moment), and some Sonic Tap channels.

Edited by HoTat2, 13 May 2012 - 03:31 PM.
Mistakenly referred to music channels earlier as "Music Choice"

#8 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Maybe there is something more to this, but if your dad added a channel that his current setup couldnt receive, Direct normally will send out a tech to install the proper equipment to receive that channel. There is usually no need to do it yourself unless the install was a DIY in the 1st place.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...