Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC New Fall Schedule

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:41 AM

You just know the route that a bold sci-fi concept like "Revolution" is going to take on NBC. Probably was a very cool original pilot story, very edgy, lots of biting societal metaphors to todays issues, political overtones.

Then the NBC censors and bean counters take over, then the corporate execs have to vet it and remove anything remotely offensive to even potential ad clients and/or their wives and children and rabbis and priests and clergy.

And by the end, you have the standard, safe, brutally formulaic network show: A hero, young teen love, a mysterious threat that is never revealed, a central love affair with the hero, etc. Basically Falling Skies meets Jericho meets V meets Terra Nova meets The River. You could write these plots in your sleep.

And the poor writers are forced to turn out this safe, inoffensive, stultifying pablum week after week. And the whole insulting tepid mess gets canceled before Christmas.

Little wonder why we all pay for HBO and Netflix and iTunes' rentals. The audience is starved for real unfiltered non-dumbed down entertainment. Network TV services only the lowest common denominators in society. And it only works for them after a few beers.

Can we have an Amen to that? :)

After seeing that Harry's Law was cancelled even though it was the #2 drama on NBC, you have to wonder what the hell it takes for NBC to figure they have a winner.

Yeah, Harry's Law didn't attract that 18-49 demographic that they all think is the absolute only reason to keep a show, how could they ever expect Harry's Law to attract that group anyway? It sure as hell wasn't a show that was designed for that demo!

I wrote to NBC about that, made me feel better after I did, but I know it was just a waste of keystrokes as I'm well out of the audience they want and my opinions don't count.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

If you've got The Firm in the can, we're up to chapter 14. We love that one as well.

Nah, I didn't bother recording The Firm. I got tired of court room shows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#43 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,415 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Nah, I didn't bother recording The Firm. I got tired of court room shows.

The Firm has a suspenseful back story that could have been written by Grisham himself, IMO. And like most Grisham yarns, while the hero happens to be a lawyer, there isn't a lot of time spent in the courtroom. I'm just praying they wrap it up neatly in the last three episodes.

There's actually a secondary back story that may or may not get wrapped up, unless it gets picked-up by a cable channel.
/steve

#44 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:46 AM

ONLY show on NBC that I care about is Grimm. Glad it's in the lineup, but wish they'd move it to another night (Is Friday night still considered where shows go to die?).

#45 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Isn't it funny how in the early TV years Friday and Saturday nights were the big TV nights? Now they're graveyards where net mob bosses dump their roadkill.

#46 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Isn't it funny how in the early TV years Friday and Saturday nights were the big TV nights? Now they're graveyards where net mob bosses dump their roadkill.

The 1950s and 1960s were the height of the baby boom when families had young kids at home.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#47 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,293 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

The 1950s and 1960s were the height of the baby boom when families had young kids at home.

Yeah, and the kids weren't in their own rooms multitasking with their own TV's, computers, and smart phones.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#48 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

As a little kid I got to see all the adult shows, the great live plays out of New York, so much amazing theater since TV was robbing from the legit theater back then for content. And all the classic comedy shows on Fri and Sat! Hate to be a little kid with time on his hands on Fri or Sat night these days, but I guess that's the point, no such kid.

Edited by Maruuk, 30 May 2012 - 01:54 AM.

spam firewall