Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade to SWM with long coax run

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bmil

bmil

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

Currently have an old self-installed SD setup with a 3-phase oval and an 18" (for 72.5 locals) at my vacation home.
Since it's in a heavily wooded area I went with pole mounts some distance away to get a los for the 72.5 bird.

Right now I have 200' runs using a good quality Belden burial solid copper rg-6 from the dishes to a non-powered multi-switch.
From there I have runs using Belden 7915A solid copper to 2 sd-dvr's and 1 sd receiver, the longest run about 45' from
the multi-switch. This makes the longest distance LNB to receiver of about 245'. Currently most of my signals are in the low to
mid 90's (a few high 80's).

My locals have already been shut down and obviously they're offering a free dish/receivers/install upgrade because of the 72.5 shut down.
Because of this free situation I'm thinking of going ahead and upgrading to 2 hd-dvr's, hd receiver and Whole Home at the same time.

I'm planning on installing a new pole mount about 50' closer since I won't have to worry about the 72.5 los. That would make the longest
run for a new swm install (I'm assuming the new dish would be a swm-lnb with one run inside to a splitter/PI) of about 140-150' to the
splitter/PI and an additional 45' max to the furthest dvr. My questions are:

- Is a swm-lnb to splitter/PI setup more or less sensitive to longer runs than the old non-swm setup?

- Will the Tech have a problem under DTV's install rules with such distances?

If it wasn't for the free 72.5 upgrade deal I'd probably do the upgrade myself but I'm allergic to spending my own money when
DTV will provide most of it for free...

Thanks for your assistance..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Based on your proposed setup for HD, you may have to upgrade to RG11 for such a long run..to minimize attenuation. I hadn't heard of RG6 for >150ft before, so congrats that it's working fine. Am sure some experts will chime in to answer your questions directly.

Keep in mind D* installers may or may not have RG11 on hand, and for runs >125ft per rcvr, there are additional charges. Speak with your tech and get an estimate.

Good luck!

-=K=-

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'm planning on installing a new pole mount about 50' closer since I won't have to worry about the 72.5 los. That would make the longest run for a new swm install (I'm assuming the new dish would be a swm-lnb with one run inside to a splitter/PI) of about 140-150' to the
splitter/PI and an additional 45' max to the furthest dvr. My questions are:

- Is a swm-lnb to splitter/PI setup more or less sensitive to longer runs than the old non-swm setup?

- Will the Tech have a problem under DTV's install rules with such distances?

Thanks for your assistance..

You'll need to check with the tech, as I can't answer any concerns he might have.

"figuring on" 200' of RG6 between a SWiM LNB and the farthest receiver, it will work, but you may have problems if/when you add more than the two HD DVRs.
The SWiM to receiver loss can be as high as 30 dB, and the 200' of RG6 & using a 2-way splitter will be within this, with about 10 dB to spare.

If you were to use an 8-way splitter you'll have more than 30 dB of loss if you're also adding more receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:55 PM

If you are currently using RG6 at 100+ ft, you are DIFFENTLY on the edge for a swm system.

If I were you I would replace the RG6 with RG11 (and use four runs) that will allow for MUCH better signal transfer from the dish to the other devices that will be in the system
and you do not need to worry about any amps in the system.

Also, I can tell you that the normal average installer WILL NOT HAVE the RG11, you will have to order it yourself.

You can get it at pace.com or perfect-10.tv.

I would also bury it at least 24" in pvc incase you need to replace/service the cable.

Edited by cabletech, 15 May 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   bmil

bmil

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks all for your advice. I think I'll go ahead and buy the RG-11...

#6 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

If you are currently using RG6 at 100+ ft, you are DIFFENTLY on the edge for a swm system.

If I were you I would replace the RG6 with RG11 (and use four runs) that will allow for MUCH better signal transfer from the dish to the other devices that will be in the system
and you do not need to worry about any amps in the system.

Also, I can tell you that the normal average installer WILL NOT HAVE the RG11, you will have to order it yourself.

You can get it at pace.com or perfect-10.tv.

I would also bury it at least 24" in pvc incase you need to replace/service the cable.

It can be only 18 inches if it's in conduit.

LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, HR24, Xbox One.

Bonus: 70" Vizio, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun

Protected By... spam firewall...And...