Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB and SWM Questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmols

jmols

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

Can someone describe the differences between the available programming on a 3LNB dish vs. a 5LNB dish?

What is the maximum tuners a SWM Dish can support? How about a non-SWM Dish?

I'm looking to upgrade to WHDVR and adding four HD recievers to my HR20-700 and I'm trying to understand if a dish swap will be required.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,777 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

Can someone describe the differences between the available programming on a 3LNB dish vs. a 5LNB dish?

I'm looking to upgrade to WHDVR and adding four HD recievers to my HR20-700 and I'm trying to understand if a dish swap will be required.

Thanks for your help!

Jeff

The 5 LNB is now mostly for those markets that still have their SD locals on the 119 SAT.
There are a few other channels, but most customers don't watch them.
Maybe someone can take the times to list these for you.

SWiM is based off of 8 tuners, so whether you have a SWiM LNB or a SWM8, they are limited to eight. When you have more than eight, there is a SWiM-16, with two outputs, so you can connect eight to each.
A non SWiM LNB has only four outputs, so for more than this you need a multi-switch. You can split the LNB coax to feed more than one switch, but at some point you'll need an amp to overcome the losses of the splitters.

WHDVR uses a coax networking [DECA] which needs to be on a SWiM so the frequencies it uses are free.
A.K.A VOS

#3 ONLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:00 PM

119 has mostly local sd channels, many Spanish channels, and the Now Network, the Hope Channel, and Jewish Life TV. There are also a few Sonic Tap stations there.

#4 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

In your case, the HR20 will use 2 tuners + four HD receivers means you will be using 6 tuners. A SWM lnb (8 tuner max) is the easiest way to go. If you already have the HD Slimline dish, swapping the lnb would give you SWM capability.

:)

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,917 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

An SWM LNB can support 8 tuners maximum. To go higher you must use a non-SWM dish with an external multiswitch (SWM or non). There are both 3LNB and 5LNB conventional and SWM LNB's. The 5 LNB version will receive the 119 satellite. So 119 can be had either way if you want/need it.

As to the maximum number of tuners a non-SWM dish can support, probably way more than you will ever need. You can easily support two or more SWM16 multiswitches (32 or more tuners).

#6 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

119 has mostly local sd channels, many Spanish channels, and the Now Network, the Hope Channel, and Jewish Life TV. There are also a few Sonic Tap stations there.

And some channels for Chinese programming.

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

So I pulled out all the currently active CONUS channels from gct's spreadsheet that come from 119. You can see all of the data including LiL stuff from gct's thread at the top of the forum.

Attached Files

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   jmols

jmols

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thanks everyone for the wealth of information.

I really appreciate it!!

Jeff

#9 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

Also DIRECTV places its early bird Christmas music mix from Sonic Tap (last year titled "Holidays and Happenings!") first on 119 usually around Nov. 1, then mirrors it later on 101 after Thanksgiving until just after Christmas.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...