Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Tops DIRECTV and Cable in Customer Satisfaction in 2012

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image

DISH Tops DIRECTV and Cable in Customer Satisfaction in 2012 American Customer Satisfaction Index

DISH Continues Its Winning Streak, Now Beating Comcast, Time Warner and Charter for the Twelfth Consecutive Year

ENGLEWOOD, CO -- (Marketwire) -- 05/15/12 -- The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) has ranked DISH (NASDAQ: DISH) first among the nation's largest satellite and cable providers in the key measures of customer experience, including overall value, customer satisfaction and customer loyalty for 2012.

Released today, this year's survey found DISH beat competing satellite TV provider DIRECTV in overall customer satisfaction, and for the twelfth year running, DISH has surpassed Comcast, Time Warner and Charter in that key criterion. DISH also led the cable and satellite industry in call center satisfaction and, for the second consecutive year, in web site satisfaction.
"Customer satisfaction has been a big focus for DISH," said Bernie Han, chief operating officer at DISH. "We're pleased to see that our efforts to deliver a best-in-class service experience are being recognized by our customers, but we know that we have a lot more room to improve."

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) is a national economic indicator of customer evaluations of the quality of products and services available to household consumers in the United States. The national index is updated each quarter and month with new measures for different sectors of the economy. The overall ACSI score factors in scores from more than 225 companies in 47 industries and from government agencies over the previous four quarters. The Index was founded at the University of Michigan's Ross School of Business and is produced by ACSI LLC. ACSI can be found on the web at www.theacsi.org.

About DISH
DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH), through its subsidiary DISH Network L.L.C., provides approximately 14.071 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2012, with the highest quality programming and technology with the most choices at the best value, including HD Free for Life. Subscribers enjoy the largest high definition lineup with more than 200 national HD channels, the most international channels, and award-winning HD and DVR technology. DISH Network's subsidiary, Blockbuster L.L.C., delivers family entertainment to millions of customers around the world. DISH Network Corporation is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,986 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Link to scores: http://www.theacsi.o...evision Service
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

It doesn't seem as if there are statistically significant differences unless you're choosing between Charter and Fios.

There's the low tier - cable TV. Most everyone who has cable access has only one of those to choose from.

Fios seems better liked than U-Verse in the telcos.

And that one point between Dish and DirecTV isn't statistically significant.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Right on for Dish and it's costumers! I'm sticking with D* because I'm to lazy to change, and it's only TV, but hopefully this spurs Directv to improve their service.

Especially their godawful DVRs (hopefully that IP streaming gateway system the FCC was talking about a couple years ago takes off this year and I can use my media PC as my DVR).

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

It doesn't seem as if there are statistically significant differences unless you're choosing between Charter and Fios.

There's the low tier - cable TV. Most everyone who has cable access has only one of those to choose from.

It is in the world of advertising.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

You're right, but neither was last years spread, but it didn't stop D* from braying about being #1. What they both don't say is that the actual scores are pretty pathetic for both of them.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Link to scores: http://www.theacsi.o...evision Service

So, if this is interpreted correctly, it is assumed that these scores are out of 100. The average, across the industry is 66, and DISH gets a 69. By the way, FIOS gets a 74.

Of course, if these scores were based on letter grades:

A 90 - 100
B 80 - 89
C 70 - 79
D 60 - 69
F Below 60

FIOS Gets a C and DISH, and most others, gets a D, as does the Subscription Television Industry. And Charter gets an F.

So, is this really something be truly proud of? Being the top of mediocre? (sarcasm)

Personally, I never had any issues with DISH, except when it came to the weird way they do billing, especially when you purchase equipment or buy something like the College Football Package. The way they credit/debit makes it next to impossible to reconcile your bill. The only other beef, is getting someone in India or the Philippines that you can't understand; but, using online chat took care of these issues.

Overall I would give them somthing of a score og 80. Over 14 years, I think I have less than 12 hours of outages total; including bad weather; 5 9s in computer uptime lingo. Much better than Qwest (now CenturyLink) DSL or COMCAST Internet. Solid equipment. Ease of replacing equipment. And, very satitified with various installers for upgrades. Maybe, we are fortunate in Northern Colorado to not have some of the horror stories I see on this blog. But, then again, it is not to difficult to drive down to DISH headquarters around here ither (about 50 or so miles) and take care of any issue that may come up.

So, despite channels being pulled, over disputes, or providers playing hardball (Disney, Rainbow, TiVo), for the most part, DISH has been a positive experience.

Now, I wish the consolidated media industry would offer more variety, but that is another story. VIacom: Many hours of CSI variants, NBC Universal - Many variants of Law & Order, et. al.. But, the worse is 6 - 8 hour blocks of the same show. Documentary channels (History, H2, Discovery Networks, National Geographic, etc. filling their schedules with reality programming which really is losly based on the subject medium of the particular channel; History wins teh award to becoming almost a 24 hour reality show channel and almost no history) One would think with over 60 years of television that there would be more variety than what there actually is streamed. This results, sometimes in, 200+ channels and nothing worth watching.

#8 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

+1

The irony is they all get a failing grade. Dish's F is 1 point higher than DirecTV's. And the one with the highest failing grade has bragging rights. I have to drop Dish next month and go with Charter, which is the worst of all, just to get AMC back and keep BBCA (sorry, I digress). Anyway, it's a crappy situation all the way around.

#9 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 10:38 PM

When I was in school 74 and under was an F.
So they all fail. :sure:

#10 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:26 PM

guess they won't running this commercial anymore:

:D

Edited by Justin85, 15 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 592 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

I think it's a mistake to take this as a letter grade. Many people are unhappy with how much cable costs these days. The industry as a whole is in trouble.

While I agree that the 1% difference may not seem significant, the trends are. DirecTV dropped 1.4% over the last year, and DISH gained 3%. So one is improving and one is in decline.

#12 OFFLINE   karrank%

karrank%

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:59 AM

Wheee!

#13 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:07 AM

You're right, but neither was last years spread, but it didn't stop D* from braying about being #1. What they both don't say is that the actual scores are pretty pathetic for both of them.

Well said! I agree.

2H/1J

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,622 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

There are lots of truths in play...

The numbers don't seem good, even in a time of poor economy and perhaps more general discontent... but they seem not good across the board for all the companies.

It's true that you wouldn't think it a bragging point to be the least worst :) But you can be sure any company atop this list would brag, so let Dish have their moment in the sun this year.

I honestly don't even know how they objectively measure customer satisfaction anyway. I mean, look at Amazon for customer reviews and really read the comments. Many (if not most) negative reviews are from customers who ordered the wrong product, don't know how to properly use the product, or have an agenda... I've learned to usually not trust customer feedback that I can't independently verify, which means I don't usually trust reviews online.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#15 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Whenever you have a bad experience with a company or brand that company or brand goes on your S--- list. It's human nature. I like Ford you like Chevy, I like Honda you like Toyota. In reality they are all pretty much the same.

#16 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,219 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

So, is this really something be truly proud of? Being the top of mediocre? (sarcasm)

Personally, I never had any issues with DISH, except when it came to the weird way they do billing, especially when you purchase equipment or buy something like the College Football Package. The way they credit/debit makes it next to impossible to reconcile your bill. The only other beef, is getting someone in India or the Philippines that you can't understand; but, using online chat took care of these issues.

Agree.

#17 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

wonder if they surveyed any sports fans??...it might of come up dead last instead of mediocre..

#18 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

+1

The irony is they all get a failing grade. Dish's F is 1 point higher than DirecTV's. And the one with the highest failing grade has bragging rights. I have to drop Dish next month and go with Charter, which is the worst of all, just to get AMC back and keep BBCA (sorry, I digress). Anyway, it's a crappy situation all the way around.

Think good thoughts, It may not go. I'm guessing 80% go 20% stays.

Not a biggie to me since I watch nothing on those channels. However if you do go are you going to get hit with a early termination fee?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#19 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

wonder if they surveyed any sports fans??...it might of come up dead last instead of mediocre..

Good point. And kudos goes to Verizon's Fios for having bragging and full disclosure advertising rights in this latest ACSI survey.

My local cable provider recently lit up over 50+ music channels with static HD album art so they could boast that they now have over 100 HD channels. Spin is spin and in the video subscription industry it's very prevalent and they all do it to some degree. When reading Dish carefully written press release most would assume Dish was rated #1.

My main concern about this survey would be the criteria used to pick the respondents. When measuring the customer satisfaction metrics give me a survey from people with their respective companies latest and greatest whole home hardware. But hey, it is what it is , it's just a survey.

#20 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I've never been wild about athletic supporters.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...