Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Tops DIRECTV and Cable in Customer Satisfaction in 2012

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

Whenever you have a bad experience with a company or brand that company or brand goes on your S--- list. It's human nature. I like Ford you like Chevy, I like Honda you like Toyota. In reality they are all pretty much the same.

I disagree to a point. I think it depends on the industry and the companies involved.

Apple is no where near the same as Google in the tablet/smart phone OS industries. They work completely differently and offer different things to their customers.

Google's Android is an open source operating system that anyone can download the SDK for and start developing apps, place them up for sale and download with ease and no oversight. It's a very open platform. Apple on the other hand has been very successful at building a walled garden around their ipad/iphone and have complete control over who can develop for it, what they can develop, what they can charge, etc (Apple doesn't have any support at all for Flash for instance).

Two companies in the same industry with completely different philosophies, offering very different end user experiences. They aren't even close to being pretty much the same.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

wonder if they surveyed any sports fans??...it might of come up dead last instead of mediocre..

No one trusts someone silly enough to cover them selves in paint and stand around in a crowd without a shirt and a huge foam finger :lol:

#23 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

I disagree to a point. I think it depends on the industry and the companies involved.

Apple is no where near the same as Google in the tablet/smart phone OS industries. They work completely differently and offer different things to their customers.

Google's Android is an open source operating system that anyone can download the SDK for and start developing apps, place them up for sale and download with ease and no oversight. It's a very open platform. Apple on the other hand has been very successful at building a walled garden around their ipad/iphone and have complete control over who can develop for it, what they can develop, what they can charge, etc (Apple doesn't have any support at all for Flash for instance).

Two companies in the same industry with completely different philosophies, offering very different end user experiences. They aren't even close to being pretty much the same.

OTOH Android being more open has caused problems with malware on them.

This is one case where apples walled garden might, only might be better.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#24 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Off topic Hopper posts have been removed and split into a new thread (see link below). Please stay on topic within this thread.

http://www.dbstalk.c...d=1#post3018659

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#25 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:33 AM

This may or may not mean much, but I find it interesting that on Facebook Dish has 60% of the following that DirecTV does, but they are being discussed twice as much.

Posted Image

#26 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

No one trusts someone silly enough to cover them selves in paint and stand around in a crowd without a shirt and a huge foam finger :lol:

BODY PAINT?? neither would I..I only go as far as a jersey or a cap..My money is just as green as the sophisticato's who don't watch sports.. wasn't a knock on Dish Network (being I have DirecTV)..it was a legit question if only certain circles of viewers were polled, not a very legit survey if the survey itself is curtailed to be in favor of one group instead as a broad based poll.

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

This may or may not mean much, but I find it interesting that on Facebook Dish has 60% of the following that DirecTV does, but they are being discussed twice as much.

Posted Image

Not to burst your Bubble, But I bet its not Good Talk! Most times its people complaining on Facebook about the service.;)
But don't take my word for it check it out, I always look to see what the top complaints are.:)

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#28 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:20 AM

Not to burst your Bubble, But I bet its not Good Talk!

OK. So I took your challenge and turned off all filters.
Here are the first comments I saw.

Please keep my secret: my family loves Dish Network! We would never go back to cable, EVER! You guys are definitely our answer to less expensive, quality entertainment, especially with our new Google TV and Blockbuster ♥

WE HAVE HAD DISH FOR 5 YEARS AND LOVE IT

Why can't we get Dish Network in Canada

loving my sports great

Or were you talking about DirecTV's Facebook page?

just spent the last hour on the phone with direct tv to be honest i hate this service they lie to you im super pissed and im stuck with them for the next 2 years arghh i cant wait to drop them!!!!!!!!

Once again, DirecTV doesn't show up for our installation. Big surprise! This has happened to us every time we move. Maybe we're the dumb ones for staying with such a poor company.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, those were the first posts I saw on both pages.

#29 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

You read 2 vs 5 and think that's a good comparison?
Keep reading... they're the same.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

You read 2 vs 5 and think that's a good comparison?

I do. Would you be happier if I posted three more complaints about DirecTV? :D

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:44 PM

I'm a happy Dish customer for 10 years now... but don't fool yourself. Dish and DirecTV have similar horror stories from customers if you pay attention.

IF you get a good install and solid equipment and can afford your bill, you will be equally happy with Dish or DirecTV unless you need the specific channels currently exclusive to one or the other.

Similarly... IF you get a poor install or have a receiver failure... you might have a good customer service experience BUT you might also have a poor one. Don't hold your breath thinking one company is substantially better than the other with regards to fixing customer issues.

No offense to the DiRT reps here doing a good job helping our forum members fix their Dish problems... but they are the exception rather than the rule. We have lots of forum posts from Dish AND DirecTV customers who would sooner light themselves on fire than sign up with the company that screwed them over the last time.

You get a bad Chevy and you'll swear off them forever and sign a deal with the Ford devil... same goes if you have a bad Ford, you'll swear allegiance to Chevy and never look back.

#32 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,210 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:58 PM

You get a bad Chevy and you'll swear off them forever and sign a deal with the Ford devil... same goes if you have a bad Ford, you'll swear allegiance to Chevy and never look back.

I'm a Dodge Boy myself ... except in Nascar. I've never paid for a car that was not a Dodge or Plymouth.

Familiarity breeds contentment. It would take a major error by Chrysler to change me to another less familiar automaker. It would take a major error by DISH to change me to DirecTV or cable. The familiar serves the need.

#33 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:13 AM

I'm a Dodge Boy myself ... except in Nascar.

Car brands in NASCAR are a joke anyway. Ill bet there isnt a Dodge (or Chevy, Ford Toyota) part on any of those cars.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#34 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'm a happy Dish customer for 10 years now... but don't fool yourself. Dish and DirecTV have similar horror stories from customers if you pay attention.

IF you get a good install and solid equipment and can afford your bill, you will be equally happy with Dish or DirecTV unless you need the specific channels currently exclusive to one or the other.

Similarly... IF you get a poor install or have a receiver failure... you might have a good customer service experience BUT you might also have a poor one. Don't hold your breath thinking one company is substantially better than the other with regards to fixing customer issues.

No offense to the DiRT reps here doing a good job helping our forum members fix their Dish problems... but they are the exception rather than the rule. We have lots of forum posts from Dish AND DirecTV customers who would sooner light themselves on fire than sign up with the company that screwed them over the last time.

Exactly , and I think Directv and Dish smartened up with the face book thing. Because now they put more positives on there for better customer responses. Like contests, new series questions. There was a time that Most post from Both companys we mostly negative by customers. Remember an unhappy mouth is a lot louder then a happy one.:)

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

#35 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:30 AM

Car brands in NASCAR are a joke anyway. Ill bet there isnt a Dodge (or Chevy, Ford Toyota) part on any of those cars.

The engines . I think thats about it!:lol:

They are modified by the teams, but they are Ford ,Dodge, GM plus the big one MONEY. Remember they were thinking about dropping nascar because the auto makers were going broke.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#36 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Dish got better at Hiding them.:lol::lol::hurah:

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

#37 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:09 PM

My issue was D* always had few package choices. I guess that's not much different from the cable co.s. Like Charter and such. They usually have a basic and expanded basic packages. Maybe D* will add more to bridge the gap. If Dish is gaining ahead then people must think they are doing something right. Makes me regret signing that new 2 year contract with D* to grab an HR24.
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#38 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

+1......As Satelliteracer put it, no provider has it all. That includes the good, the bad, and the ugly.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#39 OFFLINE   Reggie3

Reggie3

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 549 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

I seem to remember that Dish was loosing subscribers compared to D*. Does that mean that we are left with just Dish devotees who obviously will stay with them?

Basement: H21-100 to 60" Sony SXRD

Family Room: HR34 Genie HDMI to 70" Slharp Elite (Feb 22nd, 2013)

Main Bedroom:  HR22-100  to 50" Panasonic Plasma

Loyal DirecTV customer since 1996

20140423_090700_zps7jf13ohp.jpg

#40 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 19,424 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

I seem to remember that Dish was loosing subscribers compared to D*. Does that mean that we are left with just Dish devotees who obviously will stay with them?

Be careful there... IF you only look at the "net" numbers, then DirecTV either gains more or loses less (depending on how you want to say it) when compared to Dish.

However...

IF you look at the gross numbers... DirecTV has been losing more individual subscribers each quarter than Dish for a long time now. What masks this is that DirecTV also gains more subscribers than Dish does during those same quarters, so the overall effect is lessened.

BUT... if you are going to cite "customer satisfaction" as a reason to lose less customers... you'd have to recognize that Dish loses less per quarter than DirecTV. DirecTV just does a better job of replacing them.

Ex..

During a hypothetical quarter Dish might lose 150,000 customers while gaining 100,000 new ones... thus a loss of 50,000 overall.

Similarly, DirecTV might lose 500,000 customers while gaining 600,000 new ones during that same quarter, for an overall gain of 100,000.

So... if you only look at the bottom line, DirecTV gained 100,000 vs Dish losing 50,000 in that quarter.

BUT... if you look closely, you find that DirecTV lost 3x the amount of existing customers (perhaps due to customer satisfaction issues) that Dish did... DirecTV just always seems to do a better job of replacing those lost customers.

When I look at those kinds of numbers... as a DirecTV bean-counter, I would be looking into why so many customers leave during quarters when we attract so many new ones. It doesn't make sense. They are doing something very right to gain so many, but doing something very wrong to lose so many.

spam firewall