Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM-8 Question...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

... It's hard to explain, but when tightening the connector, you don't feel much force back once you hit the 30in/lbs. If you start to feel it push back, and continue to turn it, you've really overtightened the connector.

I thought DIRECTV requires all their installers to have 30 in∙lb torque wrenches for this to avoid such subjective guesswork. And don't QA checks typically test for this correct torque level on metal to metal connections like the SWiM-8 module mentioned above?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I thought DIRECTV requires all their installers to have 30 in∙lb torque wrenches for this to avoid such subjective guesswork. And don't QA checks typically test for this correct torque level on metal to metal connections like the SWiM-8 module mentioned above?

I don't know if it's required or just highly recommended, but many installers don't have one. I carry a torque wrench. However, I've been doing this long enough that I can torque it correctly with a regular wrench. In my sleep:). A QC would check to make sure it's at least that, but doesn't really check that its overtightened. It's just as common to find overtightened connectors in the field as loose.

Edited by dielray, 20 May 2012 - 10:54 AM.

DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#23 OFFLINE   HDTVFreak07

HDTVFreak07

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

Well, I caved in. DirecTV technician is coming on Saturday. That's absolutely no problem since I'm home all week and here on weekends. Wished I had seeked assistance here first before doing them myself. I'm stuck with off-air programming for this past weekend.

#24 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

And don't QA checks typically test for this correct torque level on metal to metal connections like the SWiM-8 module mentioned above?

How could you test for correct torque? The connection must be turning at the time the proper torque value is reached (at which time you immediately stop turning). If you put a torque wrench on to a connector that is torqued to the proper value and apply pressure until you reach 30 inch pounds, you would not see any movement, so the only thing you are verifying is that it is torqued to at least 30 inch pounds (but it could be way more). It would also be possible if you do this to over torque a connector that was previously torqued correctly.

To validate, you would have to loosen the connection and re-torque it properly. Doing that of course would give you no indication as to whether or not it was torqued properly to start with.

To actually test/verify if it were at the correct value, you would have to intentionally over torque it (to say 35 or 40 inch pounds), watching for it to start turning after 30, but before 35. Then you would have to loosen and re-torque to the correct value. But if there is a 30 inch pound spec to start with, over torquing to test could result in damage that you are trying to avoid in the first place.

spam firewall