Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing functions on Hopper

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

Just had a Hopper and 3 Joey's installed. All seemed well during the install. After the tech left I started to poke around the remote. First I wanted to program the remote to each of the TV's. That went rather well since the codes are in the remote using the TV model number.
When I went to switch the input on the TV using the Dish remote, the remote assosciated with the Hopper TV button flashed a couple of times and then went back to SAT. I tried to do this same function on each of the Joey's and got an error message 1003 " This is not an active function". This means that if I want to switch the TV to my DVD player I now have to use my TV remote. This was not the way it was on my 722 receiver with the IR remote..BAD!

Second, there is no phone caller ID available on any of the Joey's. There is not even a phone jack to plug in a phone cable. The Hopper displays caller ID but it is not passed to any of the Joey's.

Third, with the Joey's turned OFF they get very hot. I would think in the Standby mode they should be almost cold to the touch. With this much heat generated, power is being consumed and turned into heat. Not very efficient.

My thoughts on the NEW Hopper

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

Check to make sure your remote is not in Limited Mode. Also, there is more than 1 code associated with the different TV models. One of the steps when setting up the remote is to test the code. I suggest setting up the remote to your TV again and testing it before accepting the code. I have my Hopper remote programmed so I can change inputs on my Samsung TV.

I stand corrected. The Joey does have the "Enable" for Caller ID.

The Hopper and Joeys run slightly warmer than our other receivers. As long as the receivers are well ventilated, there will not be a problem. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Just had a Hopper and 3 Joey's installed. All seemed well during the install. After the tech left I started to poke around the remote. First I wanted to program the remote to each of the TV's. That went rather well since the codes are in the remote using the TV model number.
When I went to switch the input on the TV using the Dish remote, the remote assosciated with the Hopper TV button flashed a couple of times and then went back to SAT. I tried to do this same function on each of the Joey's and got an error message 1003 " This is not an active function". This means that if I want to switch the TV to my DVD player I now have to use my TV remote. This was not the way it was on my 722 receiver with the IR remote..BAD!

Second, there is no phone caller ID available on any of the Joey's. There is not even a phone jack to plug in a phone cable. The Hopper displays caller ID but it is not passed to any of the Joey's.

Third, with the Joey's turned OFF they get very hot. I would think in the Standby mode they should be almost cold to the touch. With this much heat generated, power is being consumed and turned into heat. Not very efficient.

My thoughts on the NEW Hopper

Edited by Ray C@DISH Network, 17 May 2012 - 10:01 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Limited Mode=
Menu:Settings:Remote Manager:Limited Mode.
Your technician should have programmed the remotes to the televisions as part of the install.
I've yet to hear of a Joey failing due to overheating but I sympathize with your thoughts on power consumption. Wonder how many miliamps a Joey pulls on standby? Obviously something...

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Moved to the Hopper/Joey forum.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Caller ID does work on the Joeys as long as the Hopper it is linked to is connected to the phone line.
You need to turn on caller ID at the Joeys also for it to work on them.
Blue - caller id - on
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#6 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. Well changing the remote to disable Limited remote fixed the problem. Your help is great, unfortunately Dish Tech support, both first and second tier said I had to live with the problem. They stated the remote only had to change the volume and cycle the Power. I think tech support should be updated on the functions of the remote.

With respect to the phone caller ID. I think a little extra code in the Hopper could easily add the ID to other data sent to the Joey's. I mean the Guide and all the recoreded programs are downloaded to the Joey's, why not the caller ID? It's just a simple matter of programming LOL.

I measured the temperature of all the components. With an ambient of 70, the Hopper was 89.4, one Joey placed in the horizontal position was 125.8 and one Joey in the verticle position was 115.3. All these were in the Standby condition. The Joey temperature seems a litlle high for a device in standby mode with ( I suspect ) a switching power supply. A greater than 50 degree rise over ambient is more than I would accept in a design.
Lastly, and this is from my wife, is there a way to see if a program is being recorded other than going to the Guide? She is used to seeing the RED LED's indicating recording in process. I tried to explain that up to 6 programs could be recorded so they would need 6 LED's but did not satisfy as an answer.
Thanks again for the correct placement of this topic and the solution to the problem.

#7 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

Just read the reply concerning caller ID. I'm going to fix that right now!
Thanks

#8 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:32 AM

Blue button brings up lots of other 'neet' functions. Where is the manual to show what is available. I am going to poke around alot on the remote.
Thanks

#9 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

...Lastly, and this is from my wife, is there a way to see if a program is being recorded other than going to the Guide? She is used to seeing the RED LED's indicating recording in process. I tried to explain that up to 6 programs could be recorded so they would need 6 LED's but did not satisfy as an answer.
Thanks again for the correct placement of this topic and the solution to the problem.

Quick look with the red button shows everything that is being recorded.

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:03 AM

The Red Hot Key on the remote displays TV Viewing Status. This screen shows not only any recordings but also any TV viewing on the Hopper and Joeys using a tuner. Thanks.

Quick look with the red button shows everything that is being recorded.

#11 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

So now we have a thread entitled missing features that aren't missing at all?

#12 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Mostly about poor or non-existent customer education by the installing technician. Maybe he was new? Who knows. Resulted in DBS talk getting a new member, it's not all bad:)

#13 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Two functions that are missing:

1) PTAT recording trick in non-prime time spots. Yes, it uses space, but it could free up tuners on Sundays during football season.

2) PBS in PTAT (if available.). In my case, all my locals are on the same transponder, so an option to record all shows in prime time on PBS (or another user-selectable channel) as well would be appreciated.

#14 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

...2) PBS in PTAT (if available.). In my case, all my locals are on the same transponder, so an option to record all shows in prime time on PBS (or another user-selectable channel) as well would be appreciated.

PBS is not always on the same transponder, go here:

http://www.satellite...ubdish&sub=true

#15 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:49 PM

PBS is not always on the same transponder, go here:

True... but not every market has 4 HD LiLs either... I think his point was why not be able to also record PBSHD in those markets that have it on the same transponder as the other big 4 networks.

#16 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

True... but not every market has 4 HD LiLs either... I think his point was why not be able to also record PBSHD in those markets that have it on the same transponder as the other big 4 networks.

I agree, it would be nice to have all HD channels on the transponder on PTAT, but I can see the advertising and support nightmare with callers saying they don't get channels that are advertised or that someone else gets.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

I agree, it would be nice to have all HD channels on the transponder on PTAT, but I can see the advertising and support nightmare with callers saying they don't get channels that are advertised or that someone else gets.

But that is already true today, isn't it?

#18 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

But that is already true today, isn't it?

Is it? How would I know, they are advertising ability to record 4. I know that some don't have the HD.

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Is it? How would I know, they are advertising ability to record 4. I know that some don't have the HD.

Obviously markets that do not have all four major networks in HD on Dish can't use PTAT to record them. I don't think Dish yet has the big four in 100% of the DMAs yet.

#20 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 613 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

I'm not asking for them to advertise it. I'm asking for them to offer it "where available." A setting somewhere in the menus... "Add channels to PTAT..." and then a list of available channels that could also be recorded. The Hopper would know if they were on the same transponder and only show the channels that would be available, or a "No other channels available" message.

The only support nightmare I could see is that this would put pressure on Dish to ensure as many LiL channels are on the same transponder, which could require some serious shuffling. Otherwise, you'd have people complaining that "Joe in Cincinnati gets to record his PBS station with PTAT, why don't I?"

Still, it is annoying to know that the Hopper is recording this stuff anyway, but then throwing it away. And I'll have to burn another tuner in order to record what it is already recording.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...