Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Missing functions on Hopper

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

...Still, it is annoying to know that the Hopper is recording this stuff anyway, but then throwing it away. And I'll have to burn another tuner in order to record what it is already recording.

Not true! Timers for PTAT programs save the PTAT recording without using another tuner, or you can save recordings from the PTAT menu.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Timers for PTAT programs save the PTAT recording without using another tuner, or you can save recordings from the PTAT menu.

Plus those programs now record with timer padding and AutoHOP ... even beyond the 8 days they are in the PTA hopper. The Hopper is improving.

#23 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

Not true! Timers for PTAT programs save the PTAT recording without using another tuner, or you can save recordings from the PTAT menu.

You misunderstood. In my market, all six of my local stations are on one transponder. PTAT records the whole transponder, then saves the "big four" network programs to the PTATs folder. What happens to the two PBS channel's programs that are also on that transponder? They get deleted. And if I wanted to record Downtown Abbey, for instance, it would require recording that PBS stream twice - once in the PTAT transponder recording, and once for a PBS timer.

It occurs to me that the Hopper could be smart enough to record the program from the PTAT transponder recording, saving the other two tuners for other programs. Then you could record 7 (or 8!) programs at once.

I'd really like to see PBS added to my PTAT folder. And at least in my market, it would require little more than a software update and some extra hard drive space. I know not everyone likes PBS, which is why I think it should be an option.

#24 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Different software for different markets? You're asking for all sorts of trouble.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

It could be flexible solution for any market in one version of FW: just show in settings all channels on PTA tpn with check marks - let user select what he want !

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

DISH seems to handle markets with less than four networks. Add the PTA flags to PBS and CW in the markets where those channels are on the same transponder as the big four and it should work out. Then advertise the Hopper as recording eight channels at the same time. :)

It would be interesting to see if it were possible.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

Different software for different markets? You're asking for all sorts of trouble.

It wouldn't have to be different software. Just check the one transponder in that market and peel off any LiL that exists on that transponder regardless of whether it is 2 or 4 or 6. If they are doing what they say they are doing (recording the whole transponder) then they are already doing half of the work... just check in the DMA to see how many LiLs exist and break out that many recordings.

No reason why it would have to be special firmware in each DMA.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:24 AM

Then advertise the Hopper as recording eight channels at the same time. :)

I think we could get well past 8. After all, if the Hopper can record an entire transponder, what's to stop it from doing that x3? The number of recording conflicts would have to drop.

But if just my idea was implemented, it would have to be an unadvertised (not undocumented) feature - because there would be many markets where they couldn't record more than the big 4 using PTAT.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...