Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NHLCI v. GameCenter

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

I've had NHLCI since 1995, and I'm generally happy with it, but I've been considering NHL Gamer Center instead for next season. I have a fast internet connection, a 25" monitor, as well as a good laptop and iPhone 4s. I also like not being tied to DirecTV, even though I've been with them since 1995 as well, because you never know when you'll need to economize ever more in this economy. I've been reading tech sites that have been singing the praises of GameCenter over NHLCI, but I thought I'd solicit opinions here where there are probably more NHLCI afficionados.

Would anyone recommend jumping over to Game Center for the convenience of portability (and the other features) rather than sticking with NHLCI?

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,986 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

GC offers a trial every year...try it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

everyone's needs are different, I'll explain my situation below.

I actually have both NHL CI and GCL. I hope 1 day it can be included with 1 subcription like NBA does.

my services Directv, 1 comcast cable box and Blast internet speeds, im getting usually 35 dn 6.35 up.

i have the 1 comcast box because of the Flyers on CSN philly and TCN philly, im on the cheapest plan for 2 channels. I dont have NHL CI with comcast and never would because they dont offer them in HD.

NHL CI - I like it becuase i can get the majority of all of them in HD, the only ones i don't are canadien stations, some i do on NHL network when the use TSN feed or CBC.

NHL GCL, Its very good, and helps when im away. I love the in game chats and friends with alot of the members.

Not sure if its true HD, but I can see the canadien stations in clear picture.

I have a 42" monitor when i watch stuff online. NHL GCL netflix etc.

so my bill and I pay once a year I don't do montly installments.

NHL CI is usually early bird 160
NHL GCL is the same 160.

Now i usually can get directv to get me a discount on NHL CI.

last year they gave me 50 bucks off.

i never tried to get a discount off GCL, i usually sign up at the early bird spot and that is the discount.

so my bottom line I'm usually around 270 a year max i would pay 320. which i have done before without discounts. so I'm happy, I love HOCKEY

Directv Premier Sport Packages  NFL ST, MLB EI, NHL CI, NBA LP,

Comcast Triple Play TV ( cheapest tv package for CSN Philly and TCN)

#4 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

Given you have a reliable internet connection with good bandwidth, it comes down to PQ for me (portability I handle via my Slingboxes). On a 25" screen it might well be worth it. On a big screen, I'd stick with CI, simply for the true HD picture

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#5 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 672 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:54 PM

Wouldn't the OP lose NBCSN games, NHLN games and games from his local team's RSN if he got Gamecenter and ditched DirecTV?

#6 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Wouldn't the OP lose NBCSN games, NHLN games and games from his local team's RSN if he got Gamecenter and ditched DirecTV?

Yes. GameCenter is not a replacement for cable/satellite, but is a replacement for Center Ice.

#7 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:07 PM

he be only canceling NHL CI i dont think he mentioned cancel D.

His local RSN is CSN bay area and CSN California he would still get sharks game if he just hat GCL

as long as he has the premier or choice ultimate he gets NHL N or sub to sports pack then he would get 603 NBCSN.

he would also get NHL N

#8 OFFLINE   stoutman

stoutman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

I have both and love it. PQ on CI is better than GC, but not by a big amount. on demand function of GC is awesome. I can watch replays using Roku. If I had to economize, I would dump CI. Lack of HD at times pisses me off.

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

I don't know why the NHL can't combine the Game Center and NHL CI packages like the NBA does for their package. Would make it much more fan friendly for people who travel and want to watch an NHL CI game via their remote internet connection.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#10 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,746 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't know why the NHL can't combine the Game Center and NHL CI packages like the NBA does for their package. Would make it much more fan friendly for people who travel and want to watch an NHL CI game via their remote internet connection.

It would be nice if they would. Then you could watch multiple games on your internet devices without having to buy extra TVs and receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

the only way i see that happening is to have a slingbox hooked up to your reciever.

Or a TV tuner card, and you have gotomypc subscription.

#12 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

GameCenter comes with a Centre Ice subscription in Canada.

#13 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the info! I think I'll likely just stick with NHLCI and add a Nomad next year to catch the games while not at home (I can easily transfer the games to my iPhone then and watch whenever, but I'll still have the DVR with 55" screen and surround sound for when I'm home.) It would be great if they would bundle the two like NBA does, but I won't hold my breath on that one!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#14 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:28 PM

the only way i see that happening is to have a slingbox hooked up to your reciever.

Or a TV tuner card, and you have gotomypc subscription.

The Slingbox and NHL CI is what I rely on for watching hockey at home and away. I did the game center trial, but at the time I only had 5Mbps/.75MBS internet and I wasn't impressed. Maybe with higher bandwidth, it would be better.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#15 OFFLINE   charlie460

charlie460

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

Maximum bandwidth stream on GCL is 3 Mb/s.

#16 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Would love CI, but I gotta go with GC because you can take it with you if you're short of funds for a sling or Nomad...

#17 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

Because that would make too much sense - we are talking about the NHL, you know...:evilgrin:

#18 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,323 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

I think I'll likely just stick with NHLCI and add a Nomad next year to catch the games while not at home

Depending on the games you want to watch, you might want to hold off on that. I was unable to transfer a single NHLCI game to my iPad last season. I could transfer games from NBC, NBSPN, NHLN and my RSNs. But not the CI games. The issue was elevated to the engineers and they stated that NHLCI games are coded so they couldn't be transferred to the nomad (like VOD). They stated they were going to change this, but we won't know until the season starts.

Because that would make too much sense - we are talking about the NHL, you know...:evilgrin:

Make sense? No, it makes cents for the NHL to charge the fan twice for the same service.

#19 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

Make sense? No, it makes cents for the NHL to charge the fan twice for the same service.

I think you hit the nail on the head.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#20 OFFLINE   wilsonc

wilsonc

Legend

• Registered
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Does GC have the tv commentary during intermissions?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...