Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 3) - 05/16/2012

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

Poll: Who were YOUR favorites tonight?! (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?!

1. Jessica Sanchez (12 votes [36.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

2. Joshua Ledet (8 votes [24.24%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.24%

3. Phillip Phillips (13 votes [39.39%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.39%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,970 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

Who were YOUR favorites tonight?

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

A couple of folks cheated and voted early...

I abide by the rules! :D

~Alan

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

How things change. A couple of weeks ago I thought Phillip should have been booted off the show, and tonight I think I enjoyed him most! :lol: Early on this season, I liked everything about Phillip except his song choices. Tonight, however, the songs that Steven and Jimmy picked for him were spot on, IMHO.

I enjoyed Joshua singing Lennon and Jessica singing Aerosmith and Jackson 5, but not as much as Phillip's Seger. He may have just won Idol with that song because, as JLo pointed out, about 20 million girls wish he was singing it to them. :)

I didn't like Phillip's own song choice at all. That's the "old" Phillip I would never vote for. I also thought the Mariah song was a bad choice that exploited whatever weaknesses there are with Jessica's voice. I think she needs a lot more vocal training to be able to pull off a song like that. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 17 May 2012 - 06:06 AM.
typo

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

My thoughts:

ROUND #1

JOSHUA: I thought Joshua did well, and I'm still a fan of his voice, but it was just so-so for me.

JESSICA: I thought she did AMAZING with this! She showed off the sweeter side of her voice... the opposite of that growl she was using last week.

PHILLIP: The least familiar song to me in Round #1, but I thought he did great! Very enjoyable...

ROUND #1 WINNER(S): Jessica & Phillip

ROUND #2

JOSHUA: I was REALLY hoping that Phillip would sing "Imagine"... but it might be a good thing for him that he didn't. I've seen multiple people comment on the fact they don't like that song because it promotes Atheism. I'm a religious guy and it's one of my favorite songs of all time, so I think it would have been AWESOME! I think Phillip could have had a moment with it, but I wasn't feeling it with Joshua. John Lennon put A LOT of feeling in the song... heck, Scott Bakula's version made me cry, but Joshua's version just bored me. :shrug:

JESSICA: I LOVE Jessica, and I KNEW she'd be the one singing this song when I saw the set list, but I was completely let down by this. The vocals were great, but like Joshua before her, there was NO feeling in this. Lauren Alaina did a great job of it last year in her audition... Jessica fell flat.

PHILLIP: I'm going to buck the trend... I liked it even though I preferred the original arrangement. I know of a couple others who did as well. That being said, I agreed with Randy! I might have liked it, but it was NOT a "Top 3" worthy performance.

ROUND #2 WINNER(S): Phillip

ROUND #3

JOSHUA: Well... I liked it better than his last! Comparing it to Mary J.'s version, it doesn't fare well to me, but I did enjoy it.

JESSICA: She went more Mariah than Michael, but I consider that a good thing. She had one moment there in the song where it was kind of strange, but I liked the rest of it.

PHILLIP: He had a couple of moments where he struggled with the notes, but overall, I enjoyed it very well.

ROUND #3 WINNER(S): Jessica/Phillip (:confused:) or Phillip/Jessica (:confused:)

FAVORITES OF THE NIGHT: Phillip & Jessica
BOTTOM THREE PREDICTION: Jessica, Joshua, & Phillip :P
WHO'S GOING HOME?: Jessica or Joshua :(

~Alan

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:07 AM

How things change. A couple of weeks ago I thought Phillip should have been booted off the show, and tonight I think I enjoyed him most! :lol: Early on this season, I liked everything about Phillip except his song choices. Tonight, however, the songs that Steven and Jimmy picked for him were spot on, IMHO.

I've obviously been quite vocal about Phillip, but here's the weird thing, he's never won the night for me before. Joshua did ONCE, and Jessica has MULTIPLE times, but Phillip has NEVER won the night for me before... until tonight. :eek2:

When the Top 13 was named, I wanted the Top 4 to be Jessica, Joshua, Hollie and Phillip (I got lucky this year!). I had an ulterior motive in wanting P2 to make the Top 3 in order to have the Homecoming, but I honestly felt that Hollie probably deserved it more until she started experiencing her slump. Elise eventually overcame Hollie, but then Hollie started improving again, and I enjoyed her making it to the Top 4. I felt that Jessica and Joshua probably deserved the finale more, but I'll be honest, after tonight, I'd really like to see a Jessica/Phillip finale. I'm surprised by that...

I enjoyed Joshua singing Lennon and Jessica singing Aerosmith and Jackson 5, but not as much as Phillip's Seger. He may have just one Idol with that song because, as JLo pointed out, about 20 million girls wish he was singing it to them. :)

Phillip was trending on Twitter tonight...

Some of his fellow Idol contestants were bragging on him (some of whom were bragging on ALL of them of course)... Former Idol contestants Pia Toscano and Lauren Alaina were too!

Several other (non-Idol) female celebrities were Tweeting about their feelings of lust toward him as well... ;)

I didn't like Phillip's own song choice at all. That's the "old" Phillip I would never vote for. I also thought the Mariah song was a bad choice that exploited whatever weaknesses there are with Jessica's voice. I think she needs a lot more vocal training to be able to pull off a song like that. Just my .02.

I liked the song from Phillip, but it was a bad song choice...

Totally disagree on Jessica though! :)

~Alan

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:06 AM

Totally disagree on Jessica though! :)

As did the judges. I think she needs more vocal coaching, tho, to better control her voice when she sings in soft tones. To my ears, her pitch is all over the place when she's not "belting out" a note. Just my .02. :)
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

As did the judges. I think she needs more vocal coaching, tho, to better control her voice when she sings in soft tones. To my ears, her pitch is all over the place when she's not "belting out" a note. Just my .02. :)

Admittedly, "pitch" is an issue with me. If it's WAY off, I can tell it... otherwise, I sometimes have trouble... I'll listen to it again later, but my first impression last night was that she did wonderful showing off the sweeter side of her voice after doing the opposite last week.

~Alan

#8 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:07 PM

BTW...

DialIdol has Jessica with the lowest amount of votes this week.... but her and Joshua are almost neck and neck so it could go either way...

Usually, Phillip and Joshua are ahead of Jessica until the voting begins on the West Coast, but this time, she didn't really experience the jump.

Phillip had a commanding lead over the others until voting began on the West Coast... then it evened out a little. He was stated to be "SAFE" with only Joshua and Jessica in trouble, but after voting was finished, he was changed to too close to call as well...

~Alan

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Did Mr. Brott take a "birthday vacation"? :confused:

After his Scotty prediction last year, I've enjoyed reading his thoughts on the subject...

~Alan

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:10 PM

All that time I was right next to the car, and the only time I saw myself last night:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Maybe tonight... LOL!!! :lol:

~Alan

#11 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

Spoiler

Just sayin'....

~Alan

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

I guess Taylor Hicks version 2 will be AI. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,111 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

The tweeter portion of our Home Theater speakers appreciate Joshua's departure. :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:41 AM

If he wins, he owes it all to Jimmy for picking that Bob Seger song for him that, to his credit, he sang really well. Last song of the night that left all the girls swooning... a perfect voting storm.

By the same token, I think Jimmy sabotaged his own singer with the Blige song. He should have chosen another When A Man Loves A Woman type song for him, IMHO.
/steve

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:53 AM

You are so right. I was hoping it wouldn't happen again ... but, it did.

Well, at least one "J" made it to the end, even though all those teenyboppers voting with their genitalia will sink her, as well. :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:06 AM

Well, at least one "J" made it to the end, even though all those teenyboppers voting with their genitalia will sink her, as well. :rolleyes:

I thought the camera catching Hollie helping Shannon Magrane "cool off" after his performance was cute, tho. :)

That performance video is still up there, BTW: http://www.americani...ve_got_tonight/

Attached Thumbnails

• Hot!.jpg

/steve

#17 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

If he wins, he owes it all to Jimmy for picking that Bob Seger song for him that, to his credit, he sang really well. Last song of the night that left all the girls swooning... a perfect voting storm.

I think he owes Jimmy A LOT for picking that song....

There's a woman on Twitter I follow. She used to live in Albany I guess, but now lives up North in the Atlanta area. Apparently, she's not a big Phillip fan, but she said that had he sung like that the whole contest, she would have been.

I certainly know that between hearing him sing "Volcano," "We Got Tonight", and hearing him in concert, he's more talented than I originally gave him credit for.

By the same token, I think Jimmy sabotaged his own singer with the Blige song. He should have chosen another When A Man Loves A Woman type song for him, IMHO.

I disagree!

Don't get me wrong, I liked "When A Man Loves A Woman" a lot better than "No More Drama," but to me, that was his highlight Wednesday night. It paled in comparison to Mary J's version, but it was where he shined IMHO!

I think Jimmy was SHOCKED when it was Jessica and not Joshua in the finale...

~Alan

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

I thought the camera catching Hollie helping Shannon Magrane "cool off" after his performance was cute, tho. :)

That performance video is still up there, BTW: http://www.americani...ve_got_tonight/

Well, there's no question he can sing. That's why he was one of my favorites for Top 3. Unfortunately, and IMHO, his body of work does not merit 1st or 2nd place.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

The discussion I was having last night appeared to come to the conclusion that Phillip will most likely get more of Joshua's voters than Jessica...

While I consider Taylor Hicks winning Season 5 to be right up there with the greatest debacles to hit AI (Scotty winning is #1), I would not be offended by P2 winning.... two different circumstances. That being said... I actually prefer the comparison to TH than DMB, so... :D

My Mom was talking day before yesterday with a man who knew Phillip's family. She asked him if his family (that includes two teenage daughters) went to the concert, and he stated that no, his daughters can't stand Phillip's singing.

I'm in a weird position. I know an equal amount of men voting for Phillip, but then I'm from his area. I'm not denying he doesn't have the women/girls voting for him (did you see the "Cougars For Phillip" sign on TV last night?), or the VFTW folks, but it's not all hormones...

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,970 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Speaking of Hollie... how awesome did she do during that studio thing last night?!

A lot of tweeting about Shannon and Hollie after it happened Wednesday night...

Elise posted on Twitter that if anybody bad-mouthed Phillip on her Facebook or Twitter, she'd kick their a... well, you get the picture! ;)

~Alan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...