Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

FWIW --

0x5cd, received 5/22.

My main TV is an old Toshiba "HD-ready" CRT capable of displaying only 540p or 1080i. It scales everything else to one or the other of these. Consequently I just have 1080i enabled in my HR-20/700 setup, with native off. I feed the signal via component through an Onkyo receiver which is old enough to have component but not HDMI connections. As there is no HDMI involved there at all, I have no handshaking issues.

But I do have a simultaneous HDMI run into the guest bedroom on the other side of the wall, feeding a Sanyo 720p set, which takes the 1080i output from the HR-20 and converts it to 720p. This is seldom used, but as a result of this thread I went in and played around with it today. I did not find any evident handshaking problems.

I have an HR21-100 that has developed an HDMI handshake issue with my Toshiba 65H84 RPTV since receiving the 0x5cd firmware. The HR21 connects to my Toshiba via a 4x2 HDMI switch > HDMI splitter as follows:

One output from the 4x2 switch (which also carries feeds from an HR24-500 that hasn't received the update yet and a Roku box) feeds an HDMI splitter whose outputs feed the Toshiba RPTV and an Insignia LCD. There are no issues with the other sources and the Toshiba RPTV and the issue with the HR21 and the Toshiba is not an issue with the Insignia LCD.

The other output from the switch feeds an Actiontec wireless HDMI transmitter whose signal is sent to the wireless HDMI receiver one floor above to a Samsung LCD...all 3 sources are received and displayed without issue.

Now, the issue I keep referring to is very similar to what others are seeing but specifically what's happening is that everytime I change channels on the HR21 my Toshiba RPTV's picture turns green. I then need to cycle the switch's inputs to correct it which actually results in the HDMI input flickering the first time I cycle back to the HR21 and only after a 2nd cycle does the picture return to normal...changing the channel gets me right back to a green screen. Keep in mind that the other sources display without issue during this cycling process. My work around (as others are also using) is to use the component output from the HR21 to the Toshiba RPTV! What's ironic about this is that I recently stopped using component and composite outputs from the HR21 due to the annoying HDCP message that was popping up with the last firmware version. :eek2: Isn't this fun?! :lol:

For the record, my two HR22-100s have also received the firmware update, one is connected to another Samsung LCD, the other is connected to another Insignia LCD, no issues with either one.

Anyway, trying to remain optimistic here, I've been looking for an excuse to upgrade the old Toshiba RPTV and this may be it...thanks DirecTV! ;)
Vin

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:58 PM

With over 6,000 posts, you still have an expectation for that? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

And 05CD remains in the stream.

I no longer have any great expectations. Just thinking out loud.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#183 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:53 PM

Have any of the Yamaha Aventage owners here tried turning off the video processing in the AVR to see if that had any effect on the problem?

I'd try it, but I'm too lazy to unplug the component video cables that I'm currently using to avoid the problem.

I have the Yamaha RX-A810. Turning off the video processor has no effect. The resolution bug is still there.
Home Theater
HR24-200
65 in. Panasonic Plasma VT50
Yamaha RX-A810
Panasonic Blu-ray DMPBDT220

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#184 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

I have the resolution bug as well. HR24, Yamaha RX-A810, 5 yr old Sharp Aquos. The volume overlay will no longer display. The Yamaha GUI displays incorrectly - weird font and all stretched out. Every time I bring it up it's located at different areas on the TV. GUI also flickers. Intermittent video flickering, color bar test pattern will sometimes quickly flash, and occasional audio drops while watching the DVR. If I turned the DVR off/on it seemed fine until I changed the channel it all fell apart again. Due to these continuing extremely annoying issues I finally decided to connect the DVR to the TV via HDMI and optical from DVR to Yamaha. It was originally HDMI from DVR to receiver - HDMI to TV. Absolutely no video/audio issues now with this set up. This set up is not ideal for me. I can no longer get the Yamaha GUI on my TV since it's not going thru my receiver. My Blu-Ray and Roku which are connected via HDMI to the Yamaha receiver work flawlessly! So, I'm sitting here with an expensive receiver that I can't even connect to my DVR via HDMI. Needless to say I'm pissed and can't believe DTV has not put out a fix yet. We paid enough for our av receivers and should be able to use all of their features as intended instead of having to connect our equipment as a work around just so the DVR will work.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#185 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I am hard-of-hearing so I use closed-captions and with this release they have become much larger than normal. Changing sizes only makes the white text different but does nothing for the black background, it remains the same size and can almost obscure 1/3 of the screen depending in the caption content. This happened 2 releases back and I called in and they told me they were aware of the problem and there would be a fix. About a week later there was another update and the captions returned to normal. Now with this release it has happened again. I called in and, once again, I was told they're aware of the problem and there would be a fix.

I'm not sitting in front of my DVR right now so I can't check, but I am almost certain that you can use Setup to make the background transparent.

You also have some control of the caption size there.

Hope this helps.

Burt

Edited by Burt, 04 June 2012 - 05:52 PM.
Forgot something

#186 OFFLINE   bellvis

bellvis

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:39 PM

Add yet another sad camper to the garbled GUI and HDMI issues, this time through a Yamaha RX-A2000 and Panasonic plasma. Depending on the video processing setting on the Yamaha, the output differs.

With video processing off, the GUI overlay is garbled whenever the DVR outputs 720p despite having 1080i set as the only supported resolution. If the DVR outputs 1080i as instructed, the overlay displays normally.

With video processing on, all video output fails (as expected based on others' comments regarding HDMI handshake issues). Switching inputs on the Panasonic away from HDMI 1 and back recovers the video consistently, but that gets pretty tiresome.

I'm in the camp of wanting the overlay to make setup saner. I can't see the television from where my receiver is located so using the panel controls is an exercise (literally) in tapping buttons, checking the VFD, tapping more buttons, walking back to the TV and verifying output, walk back, stoop down, flick a flashlight, repeat.

#187 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Add HR21-100 and Denon 4311 to the list of HDMI handshake problems.

How long is this going to take to fix? This firmware should never have been released.:mad::mad:

#188 OFFLINE   rpiotro

rpiotro

Mentor

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

Ok. I'll stick my $.02 in. I have an Integra DTR 50.3 and a pair of HR-22s attached. I run native with all resolutions checked. After the latest update it would not display the SD channels. I would get a long wait, then I would get audio but never video. After I unchecked the 480i and 480p the problem was solved. The difference in picture quality between 480i native and having the DVR upscale it is nominal. It is SD after all.

Rich Piotrowski

HR34-700
AM21
C31-700 X2

HR22-100 X2

#189 OFFLINE   abd4evr

abd4evr

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

I have a Hitachi 42HDT51, and since 0x5cd, it will not show the output from my HR22 properly. On initial startup of the box after a reset, the image shows fine, but once it goes to live TV and regular menus from the DVR, the image acts as if there is a sync or handshake issue. When I change resolutions using the button on the box or the "format" button on the remote, it will change how the image is garbled (multiple repeats of the image squashed together horizontally, but with black lines interspersed, totally black, etc...). The only recognizable image comes when set for 480p, then when I try different resolutions through the setup menu, it seems to have handshake issues, and won't return to being viewable, even though it thinks it's going back to 480p. Has always worked fine up until this SW. I can reproduce this with other HR22s from elsewhere in my house. Phone reps are baffled and not really helpful, and insist that they have not heard anything at all about this issue. Really making me think of switching to cable after 10 years of DTV.

#190 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,619 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:41 AM

I am hard-of-hearing so I use closed-captions and with this release they have become much larger than normal. Changing sizes only makes the white text different but does nothing for the black background, it remains the same size and can almost obscure 1/3 of the screen depending in the caption content. This happened 2 releases back and I called in and they told me they were aware of the problem and there would be a fix. About a week later there was another update and the captions returned to normal. Now with this release it has happened again. I called in and, once again, I was told they're aware of the problem and there would be a fix.

I need to use them too but I use the Directv captions instead of the ones in the set up menu. They're yellow and smaller. You can select them from the options at the top of the main screen along with messages, etc.

#191 OFFLINE   gonzo070777

gonzo070777

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

As suggested in another thread here is my issue with that started with the latest release:

An issue just started with my Yamaha RX-867 On screen display a few days ago. I thought the receiver had gone bad but apparently not from what I'm seeing on this other thread. If I switch to another input: PS3, Blu-ray player, PC HDMI, etc everything is fine. I swapped D* to another input and different cable that works with the other sources and the same issue happens. So it is definitely a D* update issue.

I have a Samsung Plasma TV, Yamaha RX-867, and use 22 AWG monoprice cables throughout, I know overkill but I did.

The symptoms are:
1. Can't see Yamaha setup menu (splits in two and/or flickers)
2. The on screen display for volume either doesn't show at all or shows in the middle of the screen instead of the bottom.

Like I said above all other devices work fine regardless of which HDMI input is used, so this is unique to the D* device, HR23, since the update.

#192 OFFLINE   StuBerger

StuBerger

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Just to let all know....I had the 05cd update and after waking up in the morn I noticed my TV (Sony Bravia KDL55EX500) set at 720p however, after I reset the HR24, it went back to 1080i Original Format which is what I usually have it at.
I do use HDMI cable from D to my Pioneer receiver (VSX92THX) then to TV. I turned my HT off via macro using a Harmony remote and turned all back on and still 1080i....

#193 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm not having any HDMI issues but I use mostly component and a Kramer 16x1 HDMI switch. Has anyone tried the HDMI Detective?
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#194 OFFLINE   DC_SnDvl

DC_SnDvl

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is DirecTv going to send me one?

I'm not having any HDMI issues but I use mostly component and a Kramer 16x1 HDMI switch. Has anyone tried the HDMI Detective?

#195 OFFLINE   MizzouTiger

MizzouTiger

Icon

• Registered
  • 598 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

Report #20120605-2698

Okay, this is totally ridiculous. This is 2 software updates in a row that has caused the HDCP issue with the Denon receivers. At least last time they seemed pick up on that fact relatively quickly, stopped the initial release, and then sent out an updated release that fixed the problem. They don't seem to be responding very quickly this time.

Just received 0x5cd overnight on my HR24-100 that is connected to my Denon AVR-1909 receiver. Now, every time I change channels or select something to view on the Playlist, I loose all video signal to my Toshiba television and also get no audio out through the Denon also. I have tried turning native off and setting the resolution to 720p only (since that seems to be what is being output now no matter what the selected resolution on the HR24 is set to), but that doesn't fix the problem.

Directv, why would you continue to send out this crap when you obviously know there are significant problems with it (at least you better know it by now based on the numerous posts in this thread). Just stop pushing it out, find a fix, and then send it out. I am extremely frustrated, especially since this is the second time in a row we've had the same issue.:mad::mad::mad:

HR24-100 Toshiba 55SV670U | HDMI to Denon AVR-1909| Native On | All Resolutions Selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony One
HR24-100 Philips 37PFL5322D/37 | HDMI to TV | Native on | All resolutions Selected | DD Off | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| OTA setup | Harmony 880
HR21-700 Sony KDL40V2500| HDMI to TV | Digital Optical Audio out to Yamaha HTR-5490| Native On | All Resolutions selected | DD On | Network - ethernet to U-Verse RG| Harmony 880

#196 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:50 PM

Report #20120605-2698

Okay, this is totally ridiculous. This is 2 software updates in a row that has caused the HDCP issue with the Denon receivers. At least last time they seemed pick up on that fact relatively quickly, stopped the initial release, and then sent out an updated release that fixed the problem. They don't seem to be responding very quickly this time.

Just received 0x5cd overnight on my HR24-100 that is connected to my Denon AVR-1909 receiver. Now, every time I change channels or select something to view on the Playlist, I loose all video signal to my Toshiba television and also get no audio out through the Denon also. I have tried turning native off and setting the resolution to 720p only (since that seems to be what is being output now no matter what the selected resolution on the HR24 is set to), but that doesn't fix the problem.

Directv, why would you continue to send out this crap when you obviously know there are significant problems with it (at least you better know it by now based on the numerous posts in this thread). Just stop pushing it out, find a fix, and then send it out. I am extremely frustrated, especially since this is the second time in a row we've had the same issue.:mad::mad::mad:

+1 - complete load of b.s. - i can't imagine what takes these clowns this long to fix a continuing software issue.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#197 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:53 PM

+1 - complete load of b.s. - i can't imagine what takes these clowns this long to fix a continuing software issue.

Apply for a job...if it's so easy a clown can do it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#198 OFFLINE   Casey21

Casey21

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

Apply for a job...if it's so easy a clown can do it.

I already have a job in which i'm quite competent. This has been a hugely frustrating issue that has gone on far too long. So no apologies from me.
Home Theater
HR24-200
Yamaha RX-A810

Great Room
HR23-700
46 in. Sharp Aquos LCD
Yamaha RXV-671
Roku-XD

Bedroom
HR20-700
36 in. Sharp Aquos LCD

#199 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,047 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:35 AM

Report #20120605-2698

Just received 0x5cd overnight on my HR24-100 that is connected to my Denon AVR-1909 receiver. Now, every time I change channels or select something to view on the Playlist, I loose all video signal to my Toshiba television and also get no audio out through the Denon also. I

I have a Denon AVR-1911 connected to a HR21-100 and a Panasonic TC-P55S30. With 0x5cd, I only loose video when I change from a 480i channel to a 720p or 1080i channel or when I change from a 720p or 1080i channel to a 480i channel. I do not loose sound - just video. I do not loose anything when I switch from one 480i channel to another 480i channel or when I switch from a 720p or 1080i channel to another 720p or 1080i channel.

I unchecked 480i and 480p from the list of formats that my TV can receive, and I have had no problems since.

#200 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Been about a week since I got the update. So far it is holding up. The responsiveness to remote commands has gone from unacceptably abysmal back up to it's usual standard of just slow in places. I feel fortunate I have not had HDMI issues, though, I feel for you guys. My wife and I actually talked seriously of doing away with paid TV altogether last night. It's getting more and more tempting all the time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

spam firewall