Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   comp4pod

comp4pod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

Pushed my 5 HR20-700 from 0x059E to 0x05CD over the weekend. What a difference. All the menus are now fast. The DVRs were unbearable to use before. I don't have any remote button issues or resolution problems. I did notice that for the first few days when I pushed menu, My Directv did not show any shows and loaded faster. Now I get recommended shows and menu and list load 1 or 2 sec slower than before. Overall, the DVRs are usable again.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   cariera

cariera

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

What the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is going on here???

I'll just repost the issue I had with 0x5c9, because it's deja vu all over again with 0x5cd:

"My experience with 0x5c9 (and now 0x5cd):

JVC Projector connected through a Denon 3808CI, fed by a HR21/100. Legacy system (no SWM), BBCs on. As of 05/16/12 no problems changing the channels, however when I went to watch on 05/18/12, I would lose the picture (and sound) when changing channels it and wouldn't come back.

HDMI indicator would go disappear from the Denon display. I could get the picture back by switching inputs away from and back to the HR21.

Changed the HDMI cable between the HR21 and the Denon: same result
Connected the JVC to the HR21 directly: same result.
Replaced the BBCs: same result

Connected my HR23/700 (software upgrade 0x5cb - the one that used to work with the HR21) and voila - I can change channels w/o losing the picture."

At least 4 different software versions over the last 10 days. 2 caused issues on the HR21 (0x5c9 & 0x5cd).

Any reason that my HR20 and HR21 are running 0x5cd, but the HR23 is still on 0x5cb? They are all connected the same way - ethernet cable through the router.

#23 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

I am new to Directv and I just checked my DVR software version. I have a HR23-700 and it has vers. 0x59F as of 5/10 at 10:00 am.. I live in NW Pennsylvania near Lake Erie

#24 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

2 questions:
How do you tell what version is "in the stream"?
How do you "push" a new version to your box?

Thanks

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,000 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Www.redh.com/dtv

Forcing a download doesn't do anything unless your area is already authorized for it. Forcing can also cause you to get software you don't want.

#26 OFFLINE   davidord

davidord

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I had the same HDMI handshake problem as well. I have a Denon AVR-789 and I had to switch to analog cables because I would lose the picture with the HDMI cable.

#27 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

Forcing can also cause you to get software you don't want.

You got that right and then some. I accidently picked the wrong time to force a download, and I got a version of the HD-UI which was not ready for primetime. Don't do it!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#28 OFFLINE   comp4pod

comp4pod

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:12 AM

Sorry, also have the resolution bug.

#29 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

If I force this 05cd on all my boxes and they cancel the rollout again will they be stuck at 05cd or will they still update in the future automatically?

All the boxes in the house got the half rollout in the past couple weeks except the two problem children the two HR22s

#30 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:53 AM

If I force this 05cd on all my boxes and they cancel the rollout again will they be stuck at 05cd or will they still update in the future automatically?

All the boxes in the house got the half rollout in the past couple weeks except the two problem children the two HR22s

When DirecTV releases a version higher than the one you have the box will receive it.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#31 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

Sorry, also have the resolution bug.

I have a very stable version of 59e that I got last Feb. It works perfectly fine for me.

Of course, I never change channels, nor do I expect TVApps to work reliably. But as long as I don't touch any of the buttons on the remote, everything is cool.

Now you're telling me that more changes are coming? What do I do if they mess up the channel I watch? The last time we had a big change, Larry King disappeared. Maybe the programmers have figured out how to get him back with the new release.

:lol:

#32 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:19 AM

<much snipped>

The biggest problem with 0x59e (which is what I have been stuck on since February 8th), is how sluggish/slow it can be to bring up various screens and respond to channel change requests. Buggy isn't the problem, the fact that trying to use HR20/21/22/23 series boxes (at least the ones I have), has become tedious at best, and downright unpleasant at worst.

So, I would welcome the newer versions finally making it as far east as Iowa, so we can evaluate whether the speed/sluggishness issues for these older HR boxes has been resolved (or at least improved), or not.

I don't have any theories. I'm just very dissatisfied with the performance of these boxes, and have been witnessing their degeneration for over a year.

I'm in the same boat. I stopped doing CE's a long time ago, just because everything was working so well. Now, everything including my lightning fast HR24 is way too sluggish.
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#33 OFFLINE   MartyS

MartyS

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

Once again I am going to ask...

Is this release stable?

Or will I be scolded by not using the CE forum.

Really some of you should know this...and again why are the release notes so vague.

Actually, we're talking about a national release, and the Mods are the ones that set up this sticky to talk about it, so I doubt that you'll be scolded.

Regardings stability, won't know until it hits the units. :confused:
Marty

My Setup

Life is in HD and 3D -- be sure to enjoy it!!

Never argue with an idiot.
He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

#34 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Once again I am going to ask...

Is this release stable?

Or will I be scolded by not using the CE forum.

Really some of you should know this...and again why are the release notes so vague.

The release notes are provided to us as is. The only people who will ever read any release notes are those few of us that read forums. The notes are as they’re given to us. Everything DIRECTV supplies are what we post.

The 99.9% of subscribers probably won’t even know they’ve gotten a firmware update let alone what’s in it. :grin:

It’s a National Release so you’ll be able to determine how stable it is when it’s pushed to your machine. I have no stability issues and it's been rock solid for me. YMMV. ;)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#35 OFFLINE   Relativity

Relativity

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Anyone download VOD with this new firmware? Now gives you the option of downloading a compressed HD download. (I guess this is for people with slower internet connections)

#36 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

It’s a National Release so you’ll be able to determine how stable it is when it’s pushed to your machine. I have no stability issues and it's been rock solid for me. YMMV. ;)

Mike

This is just what I wanted to hear! Thanks Mike.

#37 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have ox59e on my hr20 700 it is very slow & sluggish. I hope new one will fix it.

#38 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Anyone download VOD with this new firmware? Now gives you the option of downloading a compressed HD download. (I guess this is for people with slower internet connections)

I have done a couple, but never got that option.

0x5CB has been on my HR24-500s for a bit now. At first it was fine, slightly slower than the 0x5C8 it replaced, but overall a major improvement in speed of operation and remote response.

Now since a few days have come and gone, it is starting to ignore the remote again on an oft occurring basis, and some things are slowing down. Specifically anything to do with the list of recordings and then actually starting or stopping one. Quite a long wait for most operations with recordings. Not good, imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#39 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 493 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

HR22-100
Report: 20120518-1A25

Graphical glitch on the info graphic. Reset fixes the issue.

Posted Image

My Setup
Directv '98

#40 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

What the H-E-Double Hockey Sticks is going on here???

I'll just repost the issue I had with 0x5c9, because it's deja vu all over again with 0x5cd:

"My experience with 0x5c9 (and now 0x5cd):

JVC Projector connected through a Denon 3808CI, fed by a HR21/100. Legacy system (no SWM), BBCs on. As of 05/16/12 no problems changing the channels, however when I went to watch on 05/18/12, I would lose the picture (and sound) when changing channels it and wouldn't come back.

HDMI indicator would go disappear from the Denon display. I could get the picture back by switching inputs away from and back to the HR21.

Changed the HDMI cable between the HR21 and the Denon: same result
Connected the JVC to the HR21 directly: same result.
Replaced the BBCs: same result

Connected my HR23/700 (software upgrade 0x5cb - the one that used to work with the HR21) and voila - I can change channels w/o losing the picture."

At least 4 different software versions over the last 10 days. 2 caused issues on the HR21 (0x5c9 & 0x5cd).

Any reason that my HR20 and HR21 are running 0x5cd, but the HR23 is still on 0x5cb? They are all connected the same way - ethernet cable through the router.

Last item first: the update comes over the satellite, and goes to specificly addressed boxes. You might get an update on 3 boxes on 3 different days and they might not all be the same release especially if they are different models.

Sounds like there's an HDMI/HDCP issue between the new-version HR21 and your JVC projector. The Denon isn't really party to the transaction (except possibly stripping out the audio).
DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

Protected By... spam firewall...And...