Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:48 AM

Well, the longer the 0x5CD is on my 3 HR24-500s, the less happy I am with it. When I got it, all was good. Plenty fast, no or little remote ignoring and I was happy. Now that I've had it since 5/5/2012, issues are starting to come up.

1. Speed is still very good - happy about that
2. Remote response/ignoring - unfortunately, this is starting again. Not quite as bad as with 0x59E, but bad.
3. Video/Audio glitches - not happy :( Happening all to much from both live and recorded events on nearly any channel. But it isn't consistent which is also an irritant.

HR24-100 05cd

1. Yes
2. Not having this issue using RF fixed it for me
3. Having this issue as well

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   cashion

cashion

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Why the hell would the push this update out with the HDMI handshake bugs??:mad::confused::mad: You know how annoying that is going to be to non tech folks? Nevermind the number of phone calls to tech support they are going to receive?

Seems pretty dumb.

{Mod Edit}

I also have a Denon (AVR-1909). Now I can't even revert back to the NR :(

You can actually still revert back to 0x059E at times (like right now), you just have to watch what is in the stream. Essentially every time I change the channel with 0x05CD, I lose video and have to cycle the input to get video back. That is completely unacceptable, and if I have to deal with it much longer, my patience will be gone.

Edited by Scott Kocourek, 25 May 2012 - 12:21 PM.

My Setup

#83 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:19 PM

You can actually still revert back to 0x059E at times (like right now), you just have to watch what is in the stream. Essentially every time I change the channel with 0x05CD, I lose video and have to cycle the input to get video back. That is completely unacceptable, and if I have to deal with it much longer, my patience will be gone.

I've not been reading here real close, so I may have missed this.

Can you set Native Off and pick the max resolution your TV does and have the video hold?

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#84 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,877 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:12 PM

Can you set Native Off and pick the max resolution your TV does and have the video hold?

I don't know about this current firmware, but every other version I have used in the last 5 years allowed Native Off, then choosing your own resolution, and the sat box rescales its output to that resolution (specifically, I used 720p and 1080i) Both held for over a year, as long as Native is set to OFF.

The advantage of this, of course, is channel changing speed. The disadvantages have been discussed to death, so I won't repeat them.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#85 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,283 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Hasan, but I already know this version can do it, I was really just asking that if he did set it off and pick a resolution, would his problem go away.

My 3 HR24-500s are all set to Native On and all rez's except for 480i and seem to work just fine, with just a little slowdown on channel changes while HDMI makes its mind up. So I'm not seeing the problem he is.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#86 OFFLINE   rcliffor

rcliffor

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

HR24-100 with 0x5cd
Denon AVR 1911

The guide is slow compared to the past.

Occassionally when changing channels, or deleting recorded programs, I get a loss of signal message (no picture and no sound). To recover, I need to turn off the Denon and then back on.

I am not positive that the problem started with the May 17 software upgrade, but I believe that is the case.

#87 OFFLINE   cashion

cashion

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

I tried that in particular and it didn't work for me, though that does give me a thought. I disabled all resolutions except my default max 1080i and already had native off. Even with those settings, though, the DVR is sending a 720p signal if going by what the TV says. The next time my box updates again (probably early next morn), I'll have to try choosing only 720p instead of 1080i and compare results.
My Setup

#88 OFFLINE   deedee6259

deedee6259

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:08 PM

I also received the 0x5cd update for both of my receivers.
i have a hr-20-700 and a hr 21-100.
when i hit list for the first time after the update, directv said i was now authorized for whole home but when i checked settings it said i was not.
Both receivers are connected to my network via ethernet.
Did this happen to everybody?
What gives?

#89 OFFLINE   eileen22

eileen22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 376 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:06 PM

HR20-700
Yamaha AVR RX-V671

Not having the HDMI handshake problems. Native on. Speed is much improved, and so far remote response is also greatly improved. Still not as fast as before the HD GUI, but much better. I am also seeing the video/audio glitches on both live and recorded TV. Picture goes black and sound goes off for 5-6 seconds, then comes back. Doesn't happen at same spot on recorded shows if I go back and play program again.

#90 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:11 AM

Got updated to 05cd on tuesday. Have an HR20-700. Did anyone else's dvr restart on it's own overnite? I keep the round lights off so i know when there is an update or my receiver restarts and the round ring was on when i got up this morning.

#91 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 115 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Got updated to 05cd on tuesday. Have an HR20-700. Did anyone else's dvr restart on it's own overnite? I keep the round lights off so i know when there is an update or my receiver restarts and the round ring was on when i got up this morning.

I got the round ring, too. I was hoping it would signal a replacement for 0x5cd. No joy. I had 0x5cd last night. I have 0x5cd this morning. This is one horrible "upgrade."

I have three TVs set up. All of them have 0x5cd. The hardware is:

Vizio XVT323SV + HR20
Vizio XVT355SV + HR22
Vizio M420SR + HR23

All three sets have identical problems with the 0x5cd "upgrade."
  • The DVRs report that the output is 1080i, the TVs report they are receiving 720p.
  • There are frequent losses of picture and sound when changing channels, more frequent when the channels have different resolutions.
  • The loss of picture and sound requires a cold reboot to fix.

The Vizio XVT355SV + HR22 setup has picture and sound running through a Denon 3312ci AVR. This "upgrade" has trashed the Denon GUI and the volume bar no longer shows on the screen.

It's not a total loss. The DVRs are much more responsive to the remote.

I don't know if the tradeoff is worth it. The "upgrade" feels like alpha-level software. This thread makes it clear that I am not alone. The problems are widespread.

Hope they fix it soon. This is intolerable.

Burt

#92 OFFLINE   gregftlaud

gregftlaud

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hmm i wonder what the restart was about then

#93 OFFLINE   hiker

hiker

Icon

• Registered
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Hmm i wonder what the restart was about then

My guess is that is was some small patch without a version update. Seems to have fixed some of the receiver initiated restart problems I was having. After last night's restarts on all 8 HR20s no restarts yet today. One HR20 was restarting on its own or locking up about 5 times daily. Others restarted 1-2 times. Hopefully things will improve.
DirecTV customer since 1994
DirecTV H23-600 0x462c
DirecTV HR20-100 (qty 4) 0x62c
DirecTV HR20-700 (qty 5) 0x62c
TiVo Series 3 Comcast

#94 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

I know this will come as no great surprise, but I was able to downgrade my HR22 from 05CD to 059E and the HDMI handshake issues went away. (Maybe "downgrade" is not the right word.)

#95 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,132 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

I know this will come as no great surprise, but I was able to downgrade my HR22 from 05CD to 059E and the HDMI handshake issues went away. (Maybe "downgrade" is not the right word.)

Just realize you are on borrowed time, eventually the newest NR will be the only one available. If enough people post of their issues there is a more likely that a fix will come sooner.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#96 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

I am experiencing an HDMI problem with 0x5CD that is completely repeatable (at least on my equipment) so I thought I would throw it into the mix.

When switching from an HD channel to an SD channel, I lose audio and video (like some of the others in this thread). If I wait a little bit, I do get audio, but I have not had video ever return with intervention. To get video back, switching inputs doesn't help. It requires either cycling power on the DTV box, cycling power on my Onkyo receiver, or changing back to an HD channel from the remote (which really doesn't help if you are trying to watch the SD channel).

Of course, I probably wouldn't have noticed this if DTV was carrying NASATV in HD, but that's another complaint...

#97 OFFLINE   hearth

hearth

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am able to work around the problem by setting Native to ON and setting my only resolution to 1080p. It makes the guide look worse, but there are no dropouts as I change channels!

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem...

Don

#98 OFFLINE   Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

I am able to work around the problem by setting Native to ON and setting my only resolution to 1080p. It makes the guide look worse, but there are no dropouts as I change channels!

Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem...

Don

Thanks, Don.

I removed just 480i and 480p from the list of resolutions and it works great! In fact, when I go to NASA TV the UI stays in 1080 (instead of switching to the SD UI) and looks so much better. And switching between SD and HD channels actually seems quicker as well.

Are there any potential "gotchas" with blocking the 480 resolutions? This box will never be hooked up to anything but HD.

#99 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

Thanks, Don.

I removed just 480i and 480p from the list of resolutions and it works great! In fact, when I go to NASA TV the UI stays in 1080 (instead of switching to the SD UI) and looks so much better. And switching between SD and HD channels actually seems quicker as well.

Are there any potential "gotchas" with blocking the 480 resolutions? This box will never be hooked up to anything but HD.

I believe that most people run it that way.

#100 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

No "gotchas" that I'm aware of. Some folks prefer that SD is sent "as is" to their TV so that its potentially better hardware for scaling (and perhaps de-interlacing) can be used. Given the dismal PQ of the SD channels as provided by DirecTV, this may well be trying to put lipstick on a pig.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

Protected By... spam firewall...And...