Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,566 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

After reviewing this thread again, I'm kinda glad I don't have 5cd on my HR23 (59f) and HR24 (59e).

I can wait until these concerns are "fixed".
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Just realize you are on borrowed time, eventually the newest NR will be the only one available. If enough people post of their issues there is a more likely that a fix will come sooner.

Borrowed time, indeed. It reverted to 05CD overnight. But at least I now have more evidence the problem is caused by 05CD.

And, don't just post here. Call DIRECTV and report the problem. I just called and they are still in "we don't have anyone else reporting this" mode on this one.

#103 OFFLINE   integra

integra

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

0x5cd crashed my Hr21-100 just kept getting searching for satellite 771 finally working at the moment, see for how long after unplugging it for 24 hours.

#104 OFFLINE   Burt

Burt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

Borrowed time, indeed. It reverted to 05CD overnight. But at least I now have more evidence the problem is caused by 05CD.

And, don't just post here. Call DIRECTV and report the problem. I just called and they are still in "we don't have anyone else reporting this" mode on this one.

I just called and got the same story. "No one else is reporting this problem." Right now I'm sitting on hold waiting to connect to a supervisor.

Well, the same CSR just came back on the line. She had me go through a few gymnastics with the Res button on the DVR. I humored her to keep the good will. Nothing worked.

I gave her the URL for this thread and she said she forwarded it to Engineering. I hope she did.

I suggest everyone who calls give them the URL for this thread. Maybe they will eventually think someone has reported problems.

Burt

#105 OFFLINE   cashion

cashion

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

I tried that in particular and it didn't work for me, though that does give me a thought. I disabled all resolutions except my default max 1080i and already had native off. Even with those settings, though, the DVR is sending a 720p signal if going by what the TV says. The next time my box updates again (probably early next morn), I'll have to try choosing only 720p instead of 1080i and compare results.

I found I can lock everything down to 720p and it at least gets me around the issue for now.
My Setup

#106 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

I found I can lock everything down to 720p and it at least gets me around the issue for now.

My experience is that it is not fool-proof, but it helps a lot.

#107 OFFLINE   underlord2

underlord2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:29 PM

HR24-500: 059E software (still) sorry for the extra post! :( just a tad angry

while watching tv, channels near SyFy and History will freeze if you are recording on them, resulting in Blank Recordings (again). resetting resolves this only for a couple hours now (double reset) also did nvram reset.

Hopefully the tech is coming out thursday to fix this :D

( see http://www.dbstalk.c...164#post3018164 )

#108 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:43 PM

This 720P bug has been around for a while and is a reason I have been unable/unwilling to participate in the CE program of late. I was so sad to see this new national version of software get distributed with a giant bug like this.

My set-up: HR20-700 --> HDMI Matrix Switch --> Pioneer AVR --> Epson Projector.
The problem: When watching any content (recorded or live) once I exit FF, REW, jump back, or jump fwd 30 secs, the projector will lose sync, then have to go through the HDMI sync routine again. This takes 10 seconds or so and is supremely annoying. In a typical situation, I will FF3 until the commercial break ends, press pause to keep my place during resync, the screen will blank, then the Proj briefly says "no input", then the sync lines will flash, then the picture returns and I press play to resume playback. I have never had an issue with my set-up before that has been in place for years, and it has only started happening with this version of the software.

Are there any settings that will prevent this resync? After reading through the above posts, I don't know if anything is foolproof at this point. I have a 1080P projector so I would prefer to select 1080i if I need to pic one resolution, but will deal with 720P is it fixes the problem.

#109 OFFLINE   nsolot

nsolot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Here's a short video of the odd handshake I am getting with 0x5cd

I start with 202 CNN HD, and then switch to CNN SD, where my TV flashes 1440x240 for a moment, and then reverts to 720x480. When I switch back to 202 HD, I get the double image for a moment.

Anyone else see similar?

#110 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:07 AM

I have a Sharp LC42D64U that supports HDCP and it's been working flawlessly with an HR22 for at least 3 years. I received the 0x5cd update on 5/17 and I now have 100% repeatable HDMI handshake issues. I get audio but no video. I tried setting the HR22 settings for video to a single TV resolution per advice from a post above and it doesnt' work for me. It also results in off behavior. When I told it my TV could only accept 1080i, HR22 seemed to still be outputting 720p or at least according to the Sharp TV it was and then it would switch to 1080i.. I also tried setting to 720p output only and the TV would saw 720p and 1080i.

If I unplug and plug in the HDMI cable a few times the picture will come back. If I change channels, or use skip, the video drops. I then unplug and plug in the HDMI several times again and get video. I have tried known good cables and known good inputs on the TV too. It's the box, and most likely the new SW.

I have another HR22 with the same new SW hooked up to a Sony TV with no issues. I also upgraded the firmware on the Sharp TV last night but that did not help.

There is definitely a TV brand sensitivity.

#111 OFFLINE   servicestop

servicestop

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

I have a Sharp LC42D64U that supports HDCP and it's been working flawlessly with an HR22 for at least 3 years. I received the 0x5cd update on 5/17 and I now have 100% repeatable HDMI handshake issues. I get audio but no video. I tried setting the HR22 settings for video to a single TV resolution per advice from a post above and it doesnt' work for me. It also results in off behavior. When I told it my TV could only accept 1080i, HR22 seemed to still be outputting 720p or at least according to the Sharp TV it was and then it would switch to 1080i.. I also tried setting to 720p output only and the TV would saw 720p and 1080i.

If I unplug and plug in the HDMI cable a few times the picture will come back. If I change channels, or use skip, the video drops. I then unplug and plug in the HDMI several times again and get video. I have tried known good cables and known good inputs on the TV too. It's the box, and most likely the new SW.

I have another HR22 with the same new SW hooked up to a Sony TV with no issues. I also upgraded the firmware on the Sharp TV last night but that did not help.

Pretty much my exact situation, I also have a Sharp and an HR-22 which are connected via HDMI through a SONY DH-810 receiver. Issue started after the download with audio only. Contacted Directv before reading about this issue and they sent a new receiver.

After installing the receiver on Friday it worked perfectly. Yesterday morning it downloaded the 0x5cd software and BOOM, started having the same issue afterwards. I placed another call with Directv this morning and was told a supervisor would be calling me back (nothing yet).

Been with DTV for over ten years now and this is the absolute worst experience I've had during that time. I'm really confused as to how this release was pushed out if so many people are having issues. Hell, it even caused me to register on this site and post.

Thanks to everyone who has also written - I spent days swapping HDMI cables, tearing apart my setup, etc. before finally figuring out it wasn't MY issue.

#112 OFFLINE   jtbell

jtbell

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

In the past week or so, I have had significant video problems with my hdr-22. Getting flashes of red for split seconds. I replaced the HDMI and reset the box, with limited success. All other video sources work fine.

This thread gives me something to investigate at least. I was going to call and ask for a new receiver, but it looks like that may not be the fix. Anyone else having video issues at 1080i and 1080p?

#113 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Sheesh. Dead slow response is starting to look good to me after reading page 3 of this thread.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#114 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Whatever the root cause is, it is pretty subtle. I have an HR20 hooked to the same TV through the same AVR as the HR22. The HR20 got 05CD a week before the HR22 did and I've seen no problems with it.

#115 OFFLINE   EverSharp

EverSharp

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

This thread gives me something to investigate at least. I was going to call and ask for a new receiver, but it looks like that may not be the fix. Anyone else having video issues at 1080i and 1080p?

Ever since I got OX5CD, I've had resolution problems with both HR21 (connected through a Pioneer receiver) and two H21s (connected through Sony receivers).

On the HR21, every change of channels would drop the resolution from 1080i to 720p. To get 1080i back, I have to cycle through inputs on the Pioneer receiver.

On the H21s, the problem is strangely just the opposite. These problems with OX5CD are clearly related to a HDMI handshaking bug, and could explain why the nature of the problem is different with different receivers.

#116 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Don't count the Sony TV's among the unaffected.

My HR22 is connected to a Yamaha RX-A3000 via high-speed 3D HDMI cable, and the Yamaha output is connected to my Sony 55HX800 HDTV via high-speed 3d 3D HDMI cable.

Ever since the 05cd update, my Sony TV will lose signal almost any time I change channels on the HR22. Since this is the only active input I use on the TV (don't have cable or antenna) I have to power off the TV and back on. And trying to set the HR22 to just 1080P doesn't seem to help much.

This setup has been working fine for over a year with no problems other than the usual HR22/DTV headaches. It still works fine with my PS3 (also connected to the Yamaha via HDMI like the HR22) but now it chokes when watching DirecTV.

Just when I thought a DTV update couldn't be worse than the HD Guide update... they go the extra mile and make the receivers simply not work now, rather than just being slow or unresponsive. :nono2:
DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony PlayStation 3 (40GB Fat and 160GB Slim)
Definitive Technology BP-20 (F), CLR-1000 ©, BP-2 ®, PowerField 1500 (sub)
Monster HTS2500 PowerCenter
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

DirecTV Customer since Oct '96

#117 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:10 AM

I received the new software on my HR20-700 last week and on my HR23 this morning. I have not experienced any of the problems people are posting here. Instead, my operation is much faster and smoother. I couldn't be more pleased. For what it's worth, I'm using a Yamaha receiver into a Panasonic plasma on the HR23 and either a LG or a Viewsonic TV on the HR20.

The best thing was I happened to be up at 2:45 AM when the software came down the pike for my HR23. I was watching a repeat of the Spurs/Thunder game on TNT. The DVR asked me if I wanted the new software and I punched in Yes. After the download, I knew the guide cache had been cleared and the DVR might be slow. I had to try it anyway. For TNT, the guide didn't say "NBA Playoff" or anything like that. Instead, it said, "Upcoming - Law & Order". While within a few minutes the guide was back to saying I was watching an NBA game, is what I first saw the default position for a guide entry on TNT? I mean, for TNT, when is "Upcoming - Law & Order" not a true statement? :D
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#118 OFFLINE   AZ_Engineer

AZ_Engineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

I called tech support today to make sure they have it in their system. Got lucky and got a competent tech. She research and found 3 documented issues with the new SW release but not this one. She escalated to the engineering team through a reporting system and took detailed notes on the problem. She also said they would be getting back to me within a couple of days on the status. Seemed truely sincere and honest and she seemed to really want to know and she said that she was pretty sure I would be just the first reporting this issue.

#119 OFFLINE   billgrayny

billgrayny

Legend

• Registered
  • 115 posts
  • LocationIthaca, NY

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

I received the update on my HR20-700 some time ago, but it still has not hit my H21-200.

Anybody else waiting for it on H21?

I see one report from early on of it hitting an H21 in Iowa but nothing here on east coast...

FWIW, performance on my HR20 is fine, but I had no issues before this update.

AU9S SlimLine to SWM8
HR44-700 HDMI to VIZIO VW42LF, Native ON
1.5 TB WD15EARS eSATA HDD
DD5.1 Audio via optical to AV Rcvr
DECA, TVersity
H21-100 HDMI to VIZIO VX37L, Native ON

#120 OFFLINE   rakstr

rakstr

Legend

• Registered
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

I just got this release pushed last night and now I've got check alignment errors when I run a system test on my HR21-700's. Anyone else seeing this? Reception and channels seem AOK.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...