Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

What are your signal strengths? If they are marginal, you might have fine reception but an alignment error notice. I had this situation last year.

This actually is good news. DirecTV will send somebody out at not charge once a year to realign your dish if you have documented alignment issues. They did mine, peaking the numbers to give me better reception, especially during storms.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 357 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

Well I wish I had looked for this thread before tearing everything apart. I am having the HDMI channel change issue also. Changing the input on my Denon AVR-2809 and then back gets me audio and video back.
I even swaped devices, my Directv input with DVD/SACD/iPod input to see if maybe I had a bad input on my Denon, but that didn't help. Changed out HDMI cables, nope that didn't work either.

I got the 0x5cd software at 04:31 this morning. HR22-100 receiver.

I am also showing 720P on my Sony 52NX800 on all 1080i channels, Native On (no change with native off)

Sometimes I noticed the audio return after 20ish seconds, but not always. Tried going from a 1080i channel to a 720p channel, and it worked normally 3 times in a row, then no audio/video on 4th try. Also, this trick worked sometimes when going to an SD channel, but not everytime.

Next, I might try moving the HR21-200 to the Denon/Sony and see if it acts normally, still have older software 0x59e on that one.

Ed

#123 OFFLINE   Bitgod

Bitgod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

This update made my DVR useable again. Since the previous update, I would sometimes have to wait a full minute, if not more, to go through items in my recorded list. Guides were fine. Ever since this update, going through the playlist is fine. I'm finding some hiccups in the guide though, like if I'm scrolling through pages, there are certain spots where it will pause for at least 15 seconds before it goes again.
Refurbed HR21-100 w/ WD20EVDS in ThermalTake Dock

#124 OFFLINE   jcwest

jcwest

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 300 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

I received the update on my HR20-700 some time ago, but it still has not hit my H21-200.

Anybody else waiting for it on H21?

I see one report from early on of it hitting an H21 in Iowa but nothing here on east coast...

FWIW, performance on my HR20 is fine, but I had no issues before this update.

Strange sequence of downloads.
I got the H21-100 way back when then finally my HR20-700, HR21-100 but the HR21-200 is still on the Feb. release.

J C

HR20-700
HR34-700 AM21
HR21-200 AM21N
HR21-200

#125 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:00 AM

I got the 0x5cd update last night on 2 of my three receivers and the HDMI handshake problem is causing my main setup to fail on resolution changes. I have a Yamaha RX-A3000 receiver that will up-convert all output to the monitor to 1080p. Worked good for two years until this update. I first noticed that the the overlay graphics where not be displayed correctly. The receiver would incorrectly identify the HDMI resolution and display graphics at the wrong resolution. Additionally, sometimes it would get so out of sync, it would not display at all. Power on and power off of the receiver would correct the problem. The sync problem appears to be isolated to initial signal identification on changing channels. Once the station resolution is established by the DirecTV receiver, it works fine. I switched out a non-DVR receiver that did not get the update and it works fine.

DIRECTV customer since 1997.

#126 OFFLINE   StephenT

StephenT

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Got the update on one of my three receivers the other night (HR22-100). It's set to always output 1080i, and it is not switching. However, when all the equipment is powered on everything is great with the first channel displayed. When I make a channel change there's a blink for a new handshake where I keep audio and video at the right resolution, but my Denon receiver loses the ability to overlay its menus and volume control. Now that's weird.

All subsequent channel changes do not re-handshake, but the Denon menus are lost until the receiver input is cycled. Then it starts over again with the first channel change screwing things up.

#127 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Got my update early this morning.
I see no difference from 59e

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#128 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:14 AM

The update fixed my slow playlist
No issues that I've seen

#129 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

With all the posts and a call to tech support last night, this is clearly a software update initiated problem. I know the handshake is incorrect because I can display the signal information on my Yamaha receiver when the graphics are squashed. When the handshake fails, it appears the receiver believes it is getting a 480p signal. When I can call up distorted graphics, the common factor the receiver believing it is only getting 480p no matter what the signal resolution.

Hopefully they will push a software update in the promised 72 hours to fix the problem.

After reviewing the threads, a lot of people are going through diagnostics by changing HDMI cables and airing opinions on various receiver firmware. Since it always worked fine up until yesterday, and it still works fine with my non-DVR receiver that didn't get the update, I put this problem squarely on the shoulders of the DIRECTV software engineers. They need to fix the software update and restore HDMI handshake protocol.

When this is fixed, I am going to call them back and convince them to send me the new receiver that is currently only available to new customers.

DIRECTV customer since 1997.

#130 OFFLINE   underlord2

underlord2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:00 AM

DirecTV came out today and all they did was to do a "reinstall" of the satellite software (like it was a new receiver, it resetted itself and deleted the guide data) and give us a new remote. (my problem was blank recordings and it would freeze while switching from a non-recorded channel to a recorded one)

I feel like I was insulted.. as the tech blamed the remote! (at least he gave me his home phone in case we have problems, he "couldn't find any problems with my system, sat signals were great")

Also, for some odd reason after the reset my screen is a bit brighter.. :confused: I can now see the progress bar better on the bottom with TV shows, i wond why that would happen??

Anyways don't mind me, im still on the "e" software, i was just posting my progress if people were interested.

#131 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Got both 45CD on my H21-200 and O5CD on my HR23-700 this morning. The one plus I've notcied so far is that they've returned the prev channel function while in the guide. :)

#132 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

Hopefully they will push a software update in the promised 72 hours to fix the problem.

I don't know who told you that but you have a better chance to win the lottery than getting that update. They have known about the resolution bug for a while and sent out 3 software updates without fixing it.

#133 OFFLINE   Colonel Badger

Colonel Badger

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:08 AM

Got the update over night.

Switched on the receiver this morning to be told Whole Home DVR was now enabled, when I don't actually have it. It then proceeded to ask me to name the location of the receiver. Started to enter name when the UI completely disappeared and through me to live tv. Then went to my playlist and started getting a REALLY annoying warning box popping up about Loss of Network connection. Seems to popup every 5 seconds and there's nothing I can do about it. Not happy !

I know my receiver for some bizarre reason lost network connection a few weeks back and haven't had a chance to work out why. But this damn popup is a terrible idea.:mad:
Video: Panasonic 42" TH42PH9UK
DTV: HR21-700, connected via component
Audio: Yamaha HTR-5640, connected via Coax.
Remote: Harmony 676

#134 OFFLINE   phodg

phodg

Mentor

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

My HR23 gets a weird flash (maybe the bottom half of the screen) about once a minute or so on recorded shows after receiving the latest update. Live TV is fine.

#135 OFFLINE   toadleyb

toadleyb

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

:soapbox:
Add me to the list of handshake problems. Got the update night before last. Got up at 6 am to watch the morning news before work. Fired up my Denon AVR 789 and my Samsung TV. The first thing I always do is hold down the exit button to switch to HD (I have an SD tv in my bedroom running off the same box). As soon as it switched to HD lost connection.

Thank God for this forum. This was the first place I came to and sure enough it was caused by the upgrade. Last night I was watching TV and every time you change channels it loses synch. I have to then switch inputs on the receiver and switch back and the picture returns. However it shows that it is at 1080 but the TV is picking it up as 720.

I can't believe a company as big as Directv is this ignorant that they would allow a software update that causes this many problems. Imagine all the non - techies in the world that must be calling D like crazy right now and D giving them the same old line that this is the first time we have heard of this.

Unbelievable! :mad:

#136 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:17 PM

I got the 0x5cd update on my HR21-700 last night, and I now have what I believe is being referred to as the "Resolution Bug". For users who have Denon AVR's, this bug is a real pain. When the channel is being sidplayed as 1080i, I can't get the volume control overlay to appear. When I open the Denon GUI menu, which is supposed to be superimposed on the live DTV programming in the background, the screen goes blank and the menu appears as 1080p. When I close the menu, the DTV station now displays 720p, and the volume control overlay now appears. I can select channel up or down, and the new station appears in 1080i, and the volume overlay disappears again. Really bizarre behavior.

My two HR24-500's still are running 0x5cb, and are not exhibiting this issue.

Can someone point me to a more detailed discussion of this "resolution bug"?

Edit: Starting to see reports in the Denon threads over on AVSforum.com about this bug as well.

Edited by JerryMeeker, 31 May 2012 - 04:40 PM.

#137 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

My Sharp 46" is also having HDMI issues after my HR21Pro got the 5CD update this morning. :(

- Chip
"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#138 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

HR24-500 received the 5cd update this am. Full Guide data for 13 days in there, posters...not yet.

#139 OFFLINE   FilmMixer

FilmMixer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

My updated HR22 now outputs 720p (which is unchecked as a supported resolution) when I turn on my CEC sound bar, with the box still saying it's at 1080i....

Then about 5-10 minutes in, upon a trick play, it snaps back to 1080i all by itself..

#140 OFFLINE   Dan B

Dan B

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:02 PM

I got the update on my HR21-700 and now I also have the issue where my Denon GUI is blacking out the screen. Also seeing green flashes when changing channels, which must indicate something is not right with the HDMI.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...