Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   penguin44

penguin44

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

Yup same here with my LG system. Hdmi handshake issues galore. Why was this released again? Hr 21-700

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 488 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:49 AM

HR24-500 received the 5cd update this am. Full Guide data for 13 days in there, posters...not yet.

One day later and still no info on Cast and Crew filling in on shows and movies. Names are there but no other info or pictures. I know the guide data takes a while to fill in completely but I don't remember a prior update where this info was not there 24 hours later. And I'm not talking about guide info for 13 or 14 days from now, I mean today's guide data. Is this normal?

#143 OFFLINE   retired flyer

retired flyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

I called customer service Thursday afternoon about the handshake issues we're having and read them some of the comments on this thread. They said they're working on a "fix" and it should be out to us "in a couple of days".

#144 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

I called customer service Thursday afternoon about the handshake issues we're having and read them some of the comments on this thread. They said they're working on a "fix" and it should be out to us "in a couple of days".

Well, it is encouraging that DTV is acknowledging this problem. It's not always the case. While my HR21-700 has received the flawed update and is exhibiting the issues with my Denon AVR, I'm crossing my fingers that the fix is issued before my two HR24-500's receive the update.

Silly question: if DTV is aware that 05xcd is flawed, why don't they simply stop the updates until they have a fix?

#145 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

Silly question: if DTV is aware that 05xcd is flawed, why don't they simply stop the updates until they have a fix?

Can you imagine how long we'd be waiting if what we were waiting for was perfect software from DirecTV? :nono2:
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#146 OFFLINE   skyboysea

skyboysea

Icon

• Registered
  • 540 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

Probably for the same reason they didn't stop the previous flawed releases: because they have no clue of what they are doing.

#147 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Ask any software designer. At some point you lock down the software and release what you've got. It's a balancing act between eliminating bugs and hitting release dates. You can keep working on the software, perfecting it, and what you end up with in the THR22, a product that was released two years too late.

This is not to forgive DirecTV for missing these compatibility issues but I'm sure they weighed getting every last compatibility issue tested and fixed versus releasing software that works for the vast majority of the customers out there.

Yesterday I made a list of the people in this thread that had problems with the new software. There were 15-20 of them, depending on how you counted the issues. That's no good, especially for those folks, but if you compare that to the number of people on DBSTalk who use a DirecTV HD DVR, it's also not too bad.

#148 OFFLINE   BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

My HR23 gets a weird flash (maybe the bottom half of the screen) about once a minute or so on recorded shows after receiving the latest update. Live TV is fine.

I am having the same issue. Thought it was my Yamaha receiver until I checked this thread.

#149 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Probably for the same reason they didn't stop the previous flawed releases: because they have no clue of what they are doing.

Like I said, it was a silly question.

Yesterday I made a list of the people in this thread that had problems with the new software. There were 15-20 of them, depending on how you counted the issues. That's no good, especially for those folks, but if you compare that to the number of people on DBSTalk who use a DirecTV HD DVR, it's also not too bad.

Given the number of people who never bother posting once they see that others are aware of an issue, and the number of people who don't visit this site, the actual number of DTV users affected is likely much larger.

#150 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:11 AM

OK, nobody here has the slighest clue how DIRECTV is setup to code and implement their firmware.

Nobody here has the slighest clue what DIRECTV's capabilities and skill levels are.

Nobody here should pretend they have the slighest clue how to do it better.

Lets get back to the topic of the 0x05CD/0x45CD firmware. If you want to discuss something else start a thread but don't do it here.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#151 OFFLINE   volkl

volkl

Legend

• Registered
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Hmmm. I would like to point out that I am not having the same hdmi handshake problems with 5CD that many are reporting. I use hdmi straight to the tv and 5.1 coaxial connector direct to the AVR. The HD UI is nice, but it seems to have slowed the machines down, at least on my HR20-100, and I do experience video stutter more often, but the stuttering and sound drops have been around a long long time.

Those of us who have been around for a while have come a long way with our receivers and their software. It seems, from my clueless experience, that the software has taken several steps backwards recently. I would be most pleased if those clued in would acknowledge (right) and fix these problems ASAP. Crossing my fingers.

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 01 June 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#152 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

OK, nobody here has the slighest clue how DIRECTV is setup to code and implement their firmware.

Nobody here has the slighest clue what DIRECTV's capabilities and skill levels are.

Nobody here should pretend they have the slighest clue how to do it better.

Lets get back to the topic of the 0x05CD/0x45CD firmware. If you want to discuss something else start a thread but don't do it here.

:backtotop

Mike

OK, I don't know where this is coming from, but to get back on topic.

I hope you aren't speaking for DIRECTV, because this software release is unacceptable. In the real world, I would demand a roll back to the previous version that worked. Having to power-off and power-on my $2000 A/V receiver everytime I change stations is unacceptable.

Having risen to the top of my profession as a systems engineer of more than 30 years, I don't care about the details of how DIRECTV produces software. All I care about is the failed result. As a customer since 1997, I have kept this company on the map through battles with network TV and several technology changes.

If the topic of this forum is the poor implementation of 0x5cd, then that is what I care about. It needs to be fixed quickly.:mad:

#153 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:23 PM

Well, I got 5cd two nights ago on my two DVRs. So far I have had no handshaking issues (one direct to TV, and one through a Sony AV receiver, native on, all resolutions checked) and the command response is adequate. However, I thought the same when the first HD firmware came out, so I'll post back in a couple weeks and post if it has stayed good this time, or reverts as it has always in the past.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#154 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:33 PM

Well, I got 5cd two nights ago on my two DVRs. So far I have had no handshaking issues (one direct to TV, and one through a Sony AV receiver, native on, all resolutions checked) and the command response is adequate. However, I thought the same when the first HD firmware came out, so I'll post back in a couple weeks and post if it has stayed good this time, or reverts as it has always in the past.

You may be in luck. The DVR in the kids room works with the Sony Bravia TV. Most of the complaints appear to be coming from people with Denon and Yamaha receivers and Sharp TVs.

I used Sony ES equipment in the past, but got tired of their poor reliability. Primarily from cheap components. When you spend on average $1500-2500 a receiver, you expect components that last 10s of years not 3 or 4. That is why I switched. My old Carver amps lasted 20 years.

Anyhow, Sony appears less susceptible to the handshake problem than other equipment.;)

#155 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I've had no problems with Sony equipment. I have one in a backroom that is 25 years old. It was only replaced because it had no HDMI. My current one is 5 years old, going fine.

Anyways, 2 days isn't enough time to assess the firmware. Almost all firmware upgrades have worked great for me initially.

You may be in luck. The DVR in the kids room works with the Sony Bravia TV. Most of the complaints appear to be coming from people with Denon and Yamaha receivers and Sharp TVs.

I used Sony ES equipment in the past, but got tired of their poor reliability. Primarily from cheap components. When you spend on average $1500-2500 a receiver, you expect components that last 10s of years not 3 or 4. That is why I switched. My old Carver amps lasted 20 years.

Anyhow, Sony appears less susceptible to the handshake problem than other equipment.;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#156 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:06 PM

FWIW --

0x5cd, received 5/22.

My main TV is an old Toshiba "HD-ready" CRT capable of displaying only 540p or 1080i. It scales everything else to one or the other of these. Consequently I just have 1080i enabled in my HR-20/700 setup, with native off. I feed the signal via component through an Onkyo receiver which is old enough to have component but not HDMI connections. As there is no HDMI involved there at all, I have no handshaking issues.

But I do have a simultaneous HDMI run into the guest bedroom on the other side of the wall, feeding a Sanyo 720p set, which takes the 1080i output from the HR-20 and converts it to 720p. This is seldom used, but as a result of this thread I went in and played around with it today. I did not find any evident handshaking problems.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#157 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

BlackCoffee, until there is a fix, have you tried having your DVR do the upconverting in your system? That should give you a constant 1080i output and avoid the reinitialization of the handshake every time you change channels.

I understand why you do it the way you do. If I had your receiver, I'd be inclined to let it do the upconverting, too. But practicality rules and having to cycle the receiver every time you change channels is for the birds.

#158 OFFLINE   mclemens68

mclemens68

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Just adding to the list of those that are having HDMI handshake issues with the latest release (HR21). I got it the other night and have to change HDMI inputs on my Denon receiver after every channel change to get the picture back. Tried every possible setting on the DVR and nothing helped. For now I've connected the HDMI output of the my HR21 directly to my Samsung LCD until they sort this out.

#159 OFFLINE   retired flyer

retired flyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

BlackCoffee, until there is a fix, have you tried having your DVR do the upconverting in your system? That should give you a constant 1080i output and avoid the reinitialization of the handshake every time you change channels.

I understand why you do it the way you do. If I had your receiver, I'd be inclined to let it do the upconverting, too. But practicality rules and having to cycle the receiver every time you change channels is for the birds.

I tried this and it doesn't solve the handshake problem.

#160 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks, but I tried that and it doesn't appear that the DVR is pushing out 1080i. The handshake works when the signal is stable, but it appears initializing the handshake is where the problem lies. All I can postulate is that the DIRECTV receiver is attempting to walk up the resolution and the timing is not in sync with the picture. All the overlay graphics problems come not from a failure of the encryption, but an incorrect identification of the signal resolution. The receiver always fails by thinking the resolution is 480P. However the signal can be as good as 1080p.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...