Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HD DVRs, Receivers and R22: 0x05CD/0x45CD Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Fed up with the handshake issues experienced with my HR22 going through my Yamaha RX-A3000 to my Sony 55HX800 TV (which worked fine up until the 05cd update), I changed the HR22 connections and now have a direct HDMI connection to the TV, and optical connection to the AV receiver.

So far the TV isn't losing synch, but I'm only going between a couple channels (have double-play on for a couple games on tonight.) So far it seems to work, but it's not my optimal setup... will update as I learn more.

Not happy I had to change my setup, but at least I stand a slimmer chance my head exploding while cycling the TV each time I change the channel. :nono2:

Edited by Thwarter, 01 June 2012 - 08:27 PM.

DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony PlayStation 3 (40GB Fat and 160GB Slim)
Definitive Technology BP-20 (F), CLR-1000 ©, BP-2 ®, PowerField 1500 (sub)
Monster HTS2500 PowerCenter
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

DirecTV Customer since Oct '96

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:38 PM

And to Carl's suggestion that we set the DVR to only 1080i output, I tried that... and I think there may be a bug there too. First, it still had the sync problems even though I was only going between stations that had the same res plus the DVR was set to output 1080p only.

I had all my resolutions UNchecked except 1080P on the HR22, but then if I pressed the res button on the remote, the HR22 would show 480p, or another non-1080 res... (my TV still saw it as 1080P as the Yamaha was upscaling.)

Seems like the HR22 doesn't change the output if you disable that resolution, and then you can't cycle out of it unless that resolution's button is checked.

Kind of maddening, and I haven't gone through the hassle yet to try to repeat it. I'm kind of in a 'make the best of a cruddy situation' mode right now and hoping DTV will eventually get this sorted with a stable release.
DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

#163 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:45 AM

And to Carl's suggestion that we set the DVR to only 1080i output, I tried that... and I think there may be a bug there too. First, it still had the sync problems even though I was only going between stations that had the same res plus the DVR was set to output 1080p only.

I had all my resolutions UNchecked except 1080P on the HR22, but then if I pressed the res button on the remote, the HR22 would show 480p, or another non-1080 res... (my TV still saw it as 1080P as the Yamaha was upscaling.)

Seems like the HR22 doesn't change the output if you disable that resolution, and then you can't cycle out of it unless that resolution's button is checked.

Kind of maddening, and I haven't gone through the hassle yet to try to repeat it. I'm kind of in a 'make the best of a cruddy situation' mode right now and hoping DTV will eventually get this sorted with a stable release.

I have a similar setup with the DVR running into the RX-A3000, but a Sharp 70' Monitor. I also tried unchecking all resolutions except for 1080i and 1080p and the box does not up convert.

I also think from my diagnostics, that when handshake fails, the up-convert to 1080p in the Yamaha fails and it does a pass through on the signal. When the Yamaha can correctly identify the signal, it will up convert, and the graphics overlays are correct. Sometimes I get a picture to the Sharp monitor, but the graphics overlays are not correct. When this occurs I check the input to the Sharp and it is not 1080p(usually it is 720p on the HD channels). If the graphics are readable but squashed and off center, I check to see what the receiver thinks and it always thinks it is getting a 480p signal to up convert. To I think the receiver is incorrectly displaying the graphics because the signal is pass through, not up converted.:nono2:

#164 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

To DIRECTV monitoring this thread.

Since I am an engineer, I don't absolutely hate this game of software beta testing. However, I have a wife, two teenage girls, and a nine year old. They do not think it is fun calling me every time they change channels. At some point, you will force me to cancel my service because they will move out, get Dish network, and I will be paying alimony and child support.

For non-techies this is a nightmare....

#165 OFFLINE   JTAnderson

JTAnderson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

Have any of the Yamaha Aventage owners here tried turning off the video processing in the AVR to see if that had any effect on the problem?

I'd try it, but I'm too lazy to unplug the component video cables that I'm currently using to avoid the problem.

#166 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

To DIRECTV monitoring this thread.

Since I am an engineer, I don't absolutely hate this game of software beta testing. However, I have a wife, two teenage girls, and a nine year old. They do not think it is fun calling me every time they change channels. At some point, you will force me to cancel my service because they will move out, get Dish network, and I will be paying alimony and child support.

For non-techies this is a nightmare....

First off, yes DirecTV fudged this up. However, have you considered at alternate setup...like HDMI to the TV, optical or coax to the AV receiver? Or component?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#167 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yes JT, I tried turning off the Yamaha's upscaling, and the synch problem still existed. So far since this last update anything I've tried with the HR22 connected to the Yamaha then to the TV still has the TV sync problem (audio will still play on Yamaha.)

So right now the only workaround I've found is having the HR22 HDMI go directly to the TV, and added a toslink optical to the Yamaha for audio. This seems to work for me, but I think I read some other people still have issues with a direct hdmi to TV connection so your mileage may vary.

And BlackCoffee - I also sometimes got whacked out Yamaha menu screens when the HR22 was displaying certain content like HBO Game of Thrones. Maybe that was caused by some HDCP issue? I seemed to only get the whacked out Yammy menus when watching a show that would care about HDCP. I'm not that techy with the HDCP stuff so I'm just guessing.

Edited by Thwarter, 02 June 2012 - 10:28 AM.

DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

#168 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:26 AM

I am thinking we shouldn't have to do workarounds to get these units to work properly. These issues, including the one I have with my 4 day old HR34 not responding to either of my remotes (DTV and Harmony One) properly, are not our problems, they are DirecTV's problems, and should have been addressed before the units were released to the public. I feel like I have been duped.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#169 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

I am thinking we shouldn't have to do workarounds to get these units to work properly. These issues, including the one I have with my 4 day old HR34 not responding to either of my remotes (DTV and Harmony One) properly, are not our problems, they are DirecTV's problems, and should have been addressed before the units were released to the public. I feel like I have been duped.

No one is saying you should have to rewire stuff... DirecTV has messed up some HDMI stuff, but we're offering workarounds to at least make it bearable to watch TV.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#170 OFFLINE   jacinkcmo

jacinkcmo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

Not sure it's entirely an HDMI issue. Now when I first turn everything on (Sharp TV, Onkyo Receiver, HR23-700) going thru HDMI, the TV initially sets itself to 720p. But when I change channels (just once) it reverts to 1080i and stays that way. The thing is, I get get this exact same behavior when going directly to the TV from the HR23 via component connection - no HDMI involved.

#171 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

Not sure it's entirely an HDMI issue. Now when I first turn everything on (Sharp TV, Onkyo Receiver, HR23-700) going thru HDMI, the TV initially sets itself to 720p. But when I change channels (just once) it reverts to 1080i and stays that way. The thing is, I get get this exact same behavior when going directly to the TV from the HR23 via component connection - no HDMI involved.

That's the "720 at startup bug" & is being addressed. :)

#172 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Here's another idea, BlackCoffee. If you are using a universal remote with macros, how about you make each channel up, channel down, previous channel and channel enter command a macro? For the last two steps of the macro tell your Yamaha to go to analog and then back to its digital mode. I might even do "analog/analog/digital/digital" to make sure the receiver gets the two commands. Those discrete commands aren't hard to come by for Yamaha. It will make channel changing take longer but should reinitialize the handshake without cycling the receiver.

I'd even create a button you could label "D>A>D" that would be a reset button. It would be the four step command I mentioned above: Analog/Analog/Digital/Digital.

Edited by Carl Spock, 02 June 2012 - 06:52 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#173 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

The "TV APPs is still initializing; try again later (301)" message has been on for the past 3 days since the update. (when i right arrow to bring up TV Apps, not constantly)

#174 OFFLINE   BlackCoffee

BlackCoffee

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:38 PM

First off, yes DirecTV fudged this up. However, have you considered at alternate setup...like HDMI to the TV, optical or coax to the AV receiver? Or component?

Yes, but the problem with that setup, which is one of the main reasons for buying this receiver, is so that the rest of my family doesn't have to switch the TV input when changing sources on the receiver.

The nice part of the Yamaha box is that it will accept any input and up-convert to a single HDMI output to the monitor. They can select any source and not have to think to hard. The setup you suggest is what I used before this receiver.

#175 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yes, but the problem with that setup, which is one of the main reasons for buying this receiver, is so that the rest of my family doesn't have to switch the TV input when changing sources on the receiver.

The nice part of the Yamaha box is that it will accept any input and up-convert to a single HDMI output to the monitor. They can select any source and not have to think to hard. The setup you suggest is what I used before this receiver.

I know it's another button press extra or whatever, but it's just a suggestion that seems better than not changing channels until it's fixed. Sorry for attempting to help.

#176 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:36 PM

Am I not getting 5cd because they have suspended downloads to fix these problems?
Hopefully, the next version will not have any problems.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#177 OFFLINE   allenn

allenn

Icon

• Registered
  • 702 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:50 PM

...... Sorry for attempting to help.

Don't be sorry for helping. Your suggestion is a great work-around. I have my HR24s connected as you suggested. I have zero issues, but as Shades228 pointed out in another thread, the TV may not have enough HDMI ports for all the media devices. In my case, it is not a problem, because I only have a PS3 and D* DVR connected on one of the TVs and the other TV has a HR24 and a Sony DVD player connected. Best wishes and thanks for the suggestion!

PrimeStar/DIRECTV subscriber since 10/30/1994.
Roswell, GA (Atlanta Area)
2 D* HR24-100s and AM21s
MRV - D* SWiM LNB, PI-21 module, and Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W)
Linksys WRT310N

#178 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Am I not getting 5cd because they have suspended downloads to fix these problems?
Hopefully, the next version will not have any problems.

With over 6,000 posts, you still have an expectation for that? :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

And 05CD remains in the stream.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#179 OFFLINE   Thwarter

Thwarter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:19 AM

So here's another wonderful situation that's come up since I've moved the HR22 to have a direct connection to the TV instead of the Yamaha AVR.

Now when I'm watching TV on my PC which uses the S-video output, if I watch protected content like HBO Game of Thrones, it won't display on S-video unless I have my TV turned on to satisfy HDCP. So I'm watching in a bedroom (my 'office' room), but I have to have my main TV on in the living room wasting power. Before the change I didn't have to have anything extra turned on if I didn't want to.

And I also now have to do the press Exit for SD viewing every time I move from one room to another. The workaround that worked earlier where you set Native off and uncheck all resolutions other than 1080P seems to no longer work like it did before 05cd.
DirecTV HR22-100
Yamaha RX-A3000
Sony KDL-55HX800
Sony SAT-A2 (retired)

#180 OFFLINE   DJ Lon

DJ Lon

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:13 AM

I am hard-of-hearing so I use closed-captions and with this release they have become much larger than normal. Changing sizes only makes the white text different but does nothing for the black background, it remains the same size and can almost obscure 1/3 of the screen depending in the caption content. This happened 2 releases back and I called in and they told me they were aware of the problem and there would be a fix. About a week later there was another update and the captions returned to normal. Now with this release it has happened again. I called in and, once again, I was told they're aware of the problem and there would be a fix.

Dish Network sub 4/2005-7/2010 · DirecTV sub 7/2010-present · HR34/700 (on 5th replacement, 2014),
HR24/500 (orig install, 2010), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2011), HR24/100 (equip upgr, 2014) · Yes, 11 tuners! biggrin.gif

Protected By... spam firewall...And...