Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper question

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Worn

Worn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:08 PM

I'm changing to a 2 hopper, 2 Joey system this weekend. My question is do the joeys work on non hi-def tv's and can I add another Dish receiver to the satellite?
Dish tells me that all my tv's have to be HDTV's and that I can't add a different receiver right now through them. Can I add one I own to this system?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

I'm changing to a 2 hopper, 2 Joey system this weekend. My question is do the joeys work on non hi-def tv's and can I add another Dish receiver to the satellite?
Dish tells me that all my tv's have to be HDTV's and that I can't add a different receiver right now through them. Can I add one I own to this system?

nope u cannot add another receiver to your account.
and even if u could it would have to be another hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:14 PM

Joeys have composite out on them as well. They'll work on SDTVs. You can't add a non-Hopper to the system right now. Well...you could, but that's something above and beyond and very, very limited, special cases. I don't think we've seen reports of more than 1 person getting it.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   Worn

Worn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess I could add a third Joey before the install, especially if they work on SD receivers. Better to get it now for free than pay in the future.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

I would order/install h2k/j and waiting a week or so, will ask to activate (not ordering, just activation) your owned. Be sure you have separate coax going to its location.

#6 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

I would order/install h2k/j and waiting a week or so, will ask to activate (not ordering, just activation) your owned. Be sure you have separate coax going to its location.

An account with a Hopper whole home DVR set up, can not have mixed equipment (ViP/DP/Legacy) active on the same account.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

There are a few special circumstances ... like your mother-in-law become living with you ;) ...

#8 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

There are a few special circumstances ... like your mother-in-law become living with you ;) ...

If this was the case you would need to add an additional Joey, or Hopper if you already had a Hopper and three Joeys. Mixed equipment can not be activated on an account with a Hopper Joey set up.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Well, then she could have own account and use our infrastructure.

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Could someone tell me if the new Dish Hopper whole home system uses the RVU standard? I ask because I see Echostar is a contributing member to the RVU Alliance.

http://www.rvuallian...alliancemembers

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Nope.

#12 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

And - I doubt that RVU would give you all the features that you get with a Joey and you would still have a mirroring fee - not much benefit for supporting the feature. You might browse the DirecTV forum to see discussion of some of the problems.

#13 OFFLINE   Bill Van

Bill Van

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, Va.

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:09 PM

And - I doubt that RVU would give you all the features that you get with a Joey and you would still have a mirroring fee - not much benefit for supporting the feature. You might browse the DirecTV forum to see discussion of some of the problems.

With the RVU software I am able to seamlessly connect two older set top boxes for more tuners and storage. I can record 9 shows at the same time and get an extra terabyte of storage accessible in all three rooms. Not sure why Dish didn't do the same as it would save money and add functionality. Anyone know why previous set top boxes are not compatible with the Hopper? Are they working on this?

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:28 PM

They have no resources and no intention to go back and make these compatible with h2k.
It's going to be Total h2k/j setups from today.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...