Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey was working... Now is unstable

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:59 AM

The first month or so, my Joey worked fine. Now I must restart it and/or my Hopper to get it to do basic function.

Problems:

Lost of connection to the Hopper. In most cases, it will come back in about 15 seconds. Some cases, a network reset or unplug/plug back in the Hopper. Does this almost daily.

DRV Playback - Multiple times the video will freeze and kick me out to live TV. Or it freezes and I have to reset the Joey. In some cases, when it does freeze, I can hit the 30 second fast forward to get it back.

Guide lockup - Selecting the guide and TRY to select a program to view and nothing happens. You can go to all menu's and select anything, but cannot select anything from the guide. Another Joey reset to fix.

My hopper does not have any of these issues and it seems my Joey only started having these issues after an update about 2 weeks ago.

I know its new and I'm being patient..... Just venting...
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:21 AM

Do you have just have the one Joey?

Sorry, just saw your sig. Is the other Joey doing OK?
If so, then that helps narrow down the issue.

#3 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Did you call Dish tech support? It's their job to make sure their products are working.

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

tommiet, please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:10 PM

Do you have just have the one Joey?

Sorry, just saw your sig. Is the other Joey doing OK?
If so, then that helps narrow down the issue.

Nope.. I'm actually wrong. I dumped one joey 2 days after due to problems.

I updated my tag...

Dish Hopper and 1 "Works when it want too Joey"
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#6 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 331 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

Did you call Dish tech support? It's their job to make sure their products are working.

Techless support tells me to power off/on the Hopper and reset the Joey. Yes, that does fix it, but its a temporary fix.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#7 OFFLINE   n-spring

n-spring

Legend

• Registered
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Have you checked the MoCA strength on the Joey? Press Yellow-9-2 on remote. Look at box 'c'.
DISH subscriber since March 2012
1000.2 HD dish antenna with Solo Node
Living room: XiP813 Hopper (S238) to Visio XVT553SV via HDMI; connected to 100Base-TX LAN
Home theatre: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Anthem Statement D2 via HDMI, then to Panasonic TC-P65VT50 via HDMI
Bedroom: XiP110 Joey (S286) to Sony KDL-26M3000 via HDMI
Internet access: Comcast 10Mb/s; Dynamic IP; NAT on Linksys E3200 router

#8 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

Techless support tells me to power off/on the Hopper and reset the Joey. Yes, that does fix it, but its a temporary fix.

What did they say when you told them that? It's their responsibility t get it working right.

#9 OFFLINE   How/Rad

How/Rad

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

The issue is with the node switch. These switches always had issues. I stopped using them years ago when they installed one of them at my house to run multiple DVRs. instead I had multiple dishs to run them. unfortunitly the hopper joey system doesn't work without the switch, so because you probably like myself are tied into a 2 year contract we have to live with it until our contract is up.

#10 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

The issue is with the node switch. These switches always had issues. I stopped using them years ago when they installed one of them at my house to run multiple DVRs. instead I had multiple dishs to run them. unfortunitly the hopper joey system doesn't work without the switch, so because you probably like myself are tied into a 2 year contract we have to live with it until our contract is up.

IMPOSSIBLE, the node has only been available since March,
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#11 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 552 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

OK, what did they do when you told them that. It's Dish's responsibility to fix it. Or, have you communicated with Ray from the DIRT team? He did offer to help.

#12 OFFLINE   How/Rad

How/Rad

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:46 AM

IMPOSSIBLE, the node has only been available since March,

this particular node has only been available since march, but it is basicly just a technologically advanced switch using the same flawed relay system of the original switchs dish had their techs install on all home that got the DVR 625s in 2006 i think it was. I hear dish stopped using them years ago.

#13 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I've had the exact same issue and after having a tech at the house last week, it's happening again! The tech said it was because there was a 5.9 being used on the other Joey. All hopper / joeys must be on 6.0 wire now that they're talking to each other. After changing other Joey's wire to 6.0 it worked for a few days. Now we're back to same issue, can't find the Hopper (and it has a number instead of 'den' that it was named. This 9 yr Dish customer is sick of this.

#14 OFFLINE   How/Rad

How/Rad

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:47 AM

I've had the exact same issue and after having a tech at the house last week, it's happening again! The tech said it was because there was a 5.9 being used on the other Joey. All hopper / joeys must be on 6.0 wire now that they're talking to each other. After changing other Joey's wire to 6.0 it worked for a few days. Now we're back to same issue, can't find the Hopper (and it has a number instead of 'den' that it was named. This 9 yr Dish customer is sick of this.

I'm suprised they used the rg59 wire at all. They have never used that wire as far as I know. it's a cheaper wire, but when I installed my 1st system in 95 I found I had to use the RG6 for it to work even back then.

#15 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:39 AM

Well the 5.9 wire was placed by Dish when we had a 2 room receiver placed several years back. In March when we switched to Hopper/Joey system, Tech left the orange ringed cable to use. Today, Dish is coming to change everything (cables, nodes, switches, Hoppers and Joeys) to overcome this incessant issue we've had.

#16 OFFLINE   ttthoon

ttthoon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

rg-59 cable is ok for the joeys unless more than 1 tap is installed (according to DISH Quality of Installation standards). As a DISH Tech, we have been told its a software issue so changing everything might end up being of waste of everyone's time. Keep us posted. I would like to know since I install this stuff :P

#17 OFFLINE   ttthoon

ttthoon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

I'm suprised they used the rg59 wire at all. They have never used that wire as far as I know. it's a cheaper wire, but when I installed my 1st system in 95 I found I had to use the RG6 for it to work even back then.

We don't install rg-59 anymore but we are allowed to use it for tv2 and for joeys.

#18 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well, Tech left an hour ago. He replaced the two RG6.0 cables from outside to each of the Hoppers. He said Hoppers need RG 6.0 but at the 3 GGHrtz vs the 2.25 GGHrtz that we had. No other equip was changed out. System was acting very whacky about 30 mins ago and one of the Joeys was going to a blank screen. Although I am not techt, I do remember that things can be unstable for at least 24 hrs. So, I'm reserving any judgement for today's call and whether issue is resolved. Have a feeling we may be seeing another tech next week. At what point does a super-problem solver get sent to the home to fix things?

#19 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Oh, one more thing, the March Hopper/Joey installer had some sort of switched used behind my Hopper with the wire going back to outside to connect somewhere....anyway, Tech removed that setup to be correct now

#20 OFFLINE   ttthoon

ttthoon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:14 AM

Well, Tech left an hour ago. He replaced the two RG6.0 cables from outside to each of the Hoppers. He said Hoppers need RG 6.0 but at the 3 GGHrtz vs the 2.25 GGHrtz that we had. No other equip was changed out. System was acting very whacky about 30 mins ago and one of the Joeys was going to a blank screen. Although I am not techt, I do remember that things can be unstable for at least 24 hrs. So, I'm reserving any judgement for today's call and whether issue is resolved. Have a feeling we may be seeing another tech next week. At what point does a super-problem solver get sent to the home to fix things?

Replacing the rg59 cable with rg6 to the hoppers is the most obvious fix. If you still have problems generally what we do as techs is replace the 1 or 2 most likely causes. With hopper and joey issues this is difficult as we dont have a solid flow chart for troubleshooting yet so its likely you may need a couple of visits to fully resolve the issue. Eventually everything will get replaced which should solve the issue unless its a wierd electrical or software problem.

The switch you refer to may have been a tap with a hopper internet connecter for connectivity. I dont see any thing else being conncected behind a hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...