Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Joey was working... Now is unstable

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 08:13 AM

Thanks, it's nice to have an installer's point of view. Just wanted to clarify that we did have RG6 however at a lower Gigahertz than what the Hopper demands. So he replaced with 3Ghrz RG6. We did not have 'looking for Hopper' message this morning. Now we'll see if screen freezes and picture goes black as it did after installer left yesterday. Thanks again for your reply.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ttthoon

ttthoon

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thanks, it's nice to have an installer's point of view. Just wanted to clarify that we did have RG6 however at a lower Gigahertz than what the Hopper demands. So he replaced with 3Ghrz RG6. We did not have 'looking for Hopper' message this morning. Now we'll see if screen freezes and picture goes black as it did after installer left yesterday. Thanks again for your reply.

The black screen from what we've noticed is usually due to the hopper using 1 of the tuners to update the program guide, and that 1 tuner was probably the joey. If you get the black screen again try pressing the red button to bring up the tv viewing status screen and see if you can join into one of the other tuners.

When we first started installing the hopper/joey we noticed that if the hopper didn't initially download the joey software correctly (or was interupted), when the joey "grabs" the software from the hopper it resulted in perma-black screen. But i believe this isn't happening anymore.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post there is a software issue curently effecting some joeys that causes them to unlink. If that happens the current solution is to brigde the connection through a super complicated series of steps that I can't begin to type out lol.

#23 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 12:11 PM

The first month or so, my Joey worked fine. Now I must restart it and/or my Hopper to get it to do basic function.

Problems:

Lost of connection to the Hopper. In most cases, it will come back in about 15 seconds. Some cases, a network reset or unplug/plug back in the Hopper. Does this almost daily.

DRV Playback - Multiple times the video will freeze and kick me out to live TV. Or it freezes and I have to reset the Joey. In some cases, when it does freeze, I can hit the 30 second fast forward to get it back.

Guide lockup - Selecting the guide and TRY to select a program to view and nothing happens. You can go to all menu's and select anything, but cannot select anything from the guide. Another Joey reset to fix.

My hopper does not have any of these issues and it seems my Joey only started having these issues after an update about 2 weeks ago.

I know its new and I'm being patient..... Just venting...

After 3 new Joey's DISH gave me (no cost) another Hopper for the same monthly cost.

ALL IS WELL NOW... with the dvr sharing working.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#24 OFFLINE   Yelobug

Yelobug

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

All the changes that I needed was to replace the RG6.0 cable with a 3 gigaherz RG6.0 wire. Haven't had ANY issues all week long. Life is good. Didn't realize that RG6 came in different gigaherz. But was told the Hopper was the only receiver that requires the higher gigaherz (technician's words, not mine).

#25 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 03:40 PM

That is correct. RG59 is fine for the Joey but thew Hopper uses everything up to 3GHz.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

spam firewall