Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Broadband address incorrect

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

Just got the Hopper and Joey and my last question was answered quickly. This revealed the colored buttons and their functions. When investigating the Braodband icon I see the address of the Hopper is 169.254.189.219 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. I see packets being sent so communication is trying to be established. Most of the networks that I have worked on for home use, using the Cisco/Linksys router, are the 192.168.1.X with a 255.255.255.0 mask. With the 169 class network the DHCP server will not assign an available address when my router is at 192.

I tried resetting my router, the Hopper Reset Connection and Reset Network with no success. How do you change the address and mask on the Hopper to enable the network?

Best regards,
wings515

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Firstly, the 169 address indicates that the Hopper is not getting DHCP information from the router. The 169 is an auto-assigned address that the device issues when it cannot connect to a DHCP server.

If the connection is wired, then plug a laptop into the cable the Hopper is using and see if that gets properly addressed.

Also make sure that the router is set up to be the DHCP server and that your other computers aren't using static addressing. You'll also want to make sure that the DHCP pool is large enough to accommodate additional devices.

If you're using wireless, then make sure that you enter the access password correctly and make sure that the access point (router) isn't set to filter by MAC address.
You can also troubleshoot wireless by temporarily disabling wireless security and seeing if it will connect to an open network.

There are numerous possibilities here, and more information about how you're connecting and your home network would be helpful.

#3 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the reply. First, the cat 5 connection worked on my 722 Rx. The port on the router connected to the Hopper has a flashing green LED that is in sync with all other green LED's.
I will connect my laptop to the cable and verify cvonnectivity.
Question, can the Hopper connect via wireless? I do have a wireless router that other pc's use to get onto the web. This will free up a port on my router if I can connect wirelessly.

Thanks

#4 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:20 AM

Your installer should have made sure all of this was working before he left.
Yes, they can setup for wireless use if you don't have a wired network. I'm not sure how they accomplish it, but my installer said he was relieved to see that I had an existing wired network.

You get more ports by plugging a small 4-5 port switch into one of the existing router LAN ports, then plug in additional devices to the switch.

If the laptop connects, verify that it's not setup for static addressing and that it's getting all IP configuration via DHCP from the router. It's not likely that a home network would have static addressing, but I've seen all kinds of weird things out there.

Also see http://www.mydish.co...setup-broadband

#5 OFFLINE   wings515

wings515

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well I went and checked the cable connectivity using my laptop. It was set for DHCP and when I connected the cable I was able to get onto the intenet. I did an 'ipconfig' and all was good. I disconnected the cable from my laptop and re-connected it to the Hopper, went to the Broadband icon and it showed an IP and Mask that was part of my network.
Can not troubleshoot something that is working!

As in all Netowrk problems the fix is PFM.....Pure F Magic

Thanks to all
Regards,
wings515

#6 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

As in all Netowrk problems the fix is PFM.....Pure F Magic

Magic is science we do not yet understand. I'm happy to be stupid enough to see magic every day:D

#7 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

It could be an intermittent physical issue, which is where most networking problems occur. Keep an eye on it. If it fails again then it would be wise to check connections.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...