Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV not honoring bundle discount with Frontier

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

**UPDATE** Issue has been resolved by the DirecTV customer advocate team.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? DirecTV advertises the ability to bundle with an Internet/phone provider to save $15/month. (I don't have enough posts here to share the URL, but you can see it if you go to their site, go to the "TV packages" menu, and select "bundled services")

They have the Frontier logo clearly displayed on that page. I called DirecTV before ordering to confirm that I could bundle with Frontier FIOS and save the $15. They said yes. They confirmed my monthly bill of $62.99 would be reduced to $47.99. After completing my DirecTV order, they transferred me to the bundle dept who then submitted my Frontier order complete with a Frontier order confirmation # and everything.

The next day, talking with Frontier to try to finalize the FIOS order, they say no, they no longer have a contract with DirecTV, and they only bundle with Dish. Not just in my area, but nationally. They said I was mislead by DirecTV. No $15 bundle savings available. I have since gone back to DirecTV both via phone and also tried email support. Both avenues have more or less gotten me a sorry, you're out of luck, nothing we can do response.

So apparently DirecTV is ok with advertising Frontier on their website, having their phone reps sell you on a bundle discount with Frontier that doesn't exist, have their bundle dept put in a Frontier order that won't go through... and then not stand behind any of that. I have even threatened to cancel my order and go with Dish instead. They will not budge, they are refusing to honor the discount they sold me. :mad:

Edited by jkhering, 21 May 2012 - 10:35 AM.
issue resolved

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:54 AM

Have you had your equipment installed yet?

If 'no', call and cancel your order (before it is installed).

#3 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Has not been installed yet. I'm still considering cancelling and switching.

#4 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'm guessing that when you called in before and they refused 'to budge', you were talking with a front line CSR. Call back and respond with 'cancel' at the voice prompts. That will put you in the Retention department. If anyone can 'budge', they can. Be nice and polite; explain to them exactly what you did here.

Let us know if that works.

#5 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the tip, but yep that's what I did. I went with the "cancel" prompt and got to retention. The attitude I got was that they could have cared less. Asked to speak with their supervisor and was told "they are just going to say the same thing I am". Instead of helping me, actually started questioning me on "what kind of work do you do that you need FIOS internet anyway?". Really??

#6 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

So just cancel and move on....if you only want the service if you can get it for $15 cheaper....you might look at DISH.

#7 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Then call and cancel. That will give you time to research other options.

#8 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Yah I just might do that. I was really leaning towards DirecTV though with the HMC, 5 tuners, etc., vs. Dish's Hopper. We'll see...

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,510 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

My ISP (Cincinnati Bell) is listed as well, I used to get a $6 discount. They wouldn't allow it anymore after they started offering TV service. The rep at CB told me the discount cold be reapplied but would drop off within a month. I know Frontier was trying to get out of the business, but do they offer TV service in your area?

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

My ISP (Cincinnati Bell) is listed as well, I used to get a $6 discount. They wouldn't allow it anymore after they started offering TV service. The rep at CB told me the discount cold be reapplied but would drop off within a month. I know Frontier was trying to get out of the business, but do they offer TV service in your area?

I think this is the case here too. I think Frontier only offers the bundling discounts on their DSL service, they don't offer it in areas where they offer FIOS because they want you to get their FIOS TV service instead of keeping DirecTV. The same is usually true with all the other companies as well, I don't believe AT&T offers a bundle discount in U-Verse areas, nor does Verizon in there Fios areas, but I believe both do in their DSL areas.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   SamC

SamC

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,945 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

The next day, talking with Frontier to try to finalize the FIOS order, they say no, they no longer have a contract with DirecTV, and they only bundle with Dish. Not just in my area, but nationally.

Frontier purchased the "non-core" POTS service areas of Verizon *. Verizon (in areas it did not offer FIOS) bundled with DirecTV. Frontier bundled and continues to bundle with DISH. As a condition of the merger, Frontier is required to honor the bundled DirecTV package with existing customers forever. It however does not offer new customers DirecTV bundles, only DISH.

* Verizion was a merger to two "Baby Bells" with the Bell service areas of states along the Atlantic shore from Virginia north to Maine, excepting Conn., but including West Virginia and DC; and GTE, which was the nation's largest non-Bell telephone company, with, mostly but not exclusively, smaller market and rural POTS exchanges nationwide. Verizon decided to get out of the POTS business outside the northeast corridor, selling off NH, VT, and ME to Fair Point, Iowa and Hawaii to local investors, and then all of the old GTE lines, excepting those in California and Texas, plus the old Bell lines in West Virginia to Frontier. If you live in the areas shown in blue on this map:

http://upload.wikime...overage_Map.png

AND

had the Verizon - DirecTV bundle on July 1, 2010, then you can keep said bundle for as long as you live at your current home, but new custmers cannot apply.

#12 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

I think this is the case here too. I think Frontier only offers the bundling discounts on their DSL service, they don't offer it in areas where they offer FIOS because they want you to get their FIOS TV service instead of keeping DirecTV. The same is usually true with all the other companies as well, I don't believe AT&T offers a bundle discount in U-Verse areas, nor does Verizon in there Fios areas, but I believe both do in their DSL areas.

That could be the case. They do have FIOS TV in my area. But they did say they still bundle with Dish, just not DirecTV.

#13 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Verizon (in areas it did not offer FIOS) bundled with DirecTV. Frontier bundled and continues to bundle with DISH. As a condition of the merger, Frontier is required to honor the bundled DirecTV package with existing customers forever. It however does not offer new customers DirecTV bundles, only DISH.

Thanks for the info! That's what bothers me. That despite this info, DirecTV still has Frontier shown on their site as an option, and the phone reps totally sold me on the fact that yes I could bundle with Frontier FIOS.

I can obviously cancel before installation if I want, no worries. I'm not upset that they don't bundle with Frontier overall, I just feel very mislead, it was basically false advertising, almost a bait and switch by the phone reps.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,510 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

Frontier having an agreement with Dish would have been interesting if they'd gone ahead with the 5GB cap scheme they came up with.

#15 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:23 PM

Don't forget that it may appear that Frontier still bundles in areas where they don't offer FIOS service, so having the Frontier logo listed under bundling services is not misleading, there are just caveats, but what ad doesnt usually have small print?

#16 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,251 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

They have the Frontier logo clearly displayed on that page.

Could you post a link to that page? When I went to the DirecTV web site and looked at their bundle page, Frontier isn't one of the logos listed.

#17 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

It was up earlier...I went and checked also
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#18 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:40 AM

It was up earlier...I went and checked also

you maybe loading a old page, just went there and ths is all that is there

#19 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

you maybe loading a old page, just went there and ths is all that is there

[ATTACH]29152[/ATTACH]

He said "it was up earlier". As of yesterday morning, Frontier was still listed. The page is signficantly changed since yesterday morning and there are a number of providers no longer listed, my guess is that it is a result of this thread.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#20 OFFLINE   jkhering

jkhering

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:23 AM

He said "it was up earlier". As of yesterday morning, Frontier was still listed. The page is signficantly changed since yesterday morning and there are a number of providers no longer listed, my guess is that it is a result of this thread.

Wow, yep! I guess someone was listening to me over there. The Frontier logo is gone. Was there yesterday when I started this thread, but I only had 2 posts at the time so couldn't post a URL: http://www.directv.c...ckages/internet

This just helps confirm what I was saying... they do not have a contract with Frontier. Frontier said so themselves. They told me that nationally, regardless of availability of FIOS or their basic "high speed" internet service, they simply no longer contract with DirecTV anymore like they used to.

So, when I signed up for DirecTV, frontier was on the website, I was told they bundled with frontier, etc., when they really didn't. That's my only complaint here, being mislead, and then not honoring the discount they sold me on.

spam firewall