Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New install & new account setup question: Multiple DVRs & Networks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alex44878

alex44878

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

Hi all,

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere I couldn't seem to find an answer.

I'm about to sign up for new DTV service (new customer). My house is a bit odd (2 guest houses disconnected). All 3 houses have had HD DTV service by previous owner, so there are 3 dishes installed already. Here's what I'd like to achieve. Is this possible?

Main house: 1 HR24 + 1 HD receiver with whole home DVR service. Has land line (att u-verse voip).

Guest house One: 1 Tivo THR22. Different broadband network. No land line.

Guest house Two: 2 Tivo THR22 Units, Different broadband network. No land line.

Questions:

- Will the other 3 TiVo units in the guest houses be able to connect via their respective broadband networks without violating DTV TOS? In other words, does DTV care if the devices are on different broadband networks with different IP addresses?

- Would it be simpler to have the installer activate everything in the main house first, then I can move the THR22 boxes to the guest house manually?

Thanks!
Alex

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,188 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:17 PM

... Questions:

- Will the other 3 TiVo units in the guest houses be able to connect via their respective broadband networks without violating DTV TOS? In other words, does DTV care if the devices are on different broadband networks with different IP addresses?

As long as the main house and guest homes are all on the same account, DIRECTV would not care about the three receiver installs using three different BB connections.

- Would it be simpler to have the installer activate everything in the main house first, then I can move the THR22 boxes to the guest house manually?

Thanks!
Alex

I'd say this depends. If the two guest homes each have the proper SlimLine dish installed, then I can't see any reason why the installer would have a problem connecting all the receivers in the three separate homes.

If they are not though I don't think the tech. would be willing to install multiple dishes on the same job. At least not without additional pay for it as a custom install or some other.

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 May 2012 - 02:42 PM

I believe the Tivo based units require a land line to activate and to acknowledge need for software updates. You should verify that with in the forum specific to the THR22 though, as I do not have one.

#4 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

I believe the Tivo based units require a land line to activate and to acknowledge need for software updates. You should verify that with in the forum specific to the THR22 though, as I do not have one.

I work for a DTV dealer. the Tivos can be activated and only needs a broadband connection.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#5 OFFLINE   alex44878

alex44878

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice!

#6 OFFLINE   amenic

amenic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

I think the best adivice is to not use Tivo at all. They have multiple requirements and unsupported features when compared with regular dvr units. No multi-room ever, no option for wireless internet, no game search, no TV apps/Youtube, no 3D, no streaming to other devices, and a smaller library of On Demand. Basically DTV signed a long term contract with Tivo years ago, back when it was the only option. They're required to keep making Tivos every once in a while, so they made a castrated system and did the least advertising possible. Their public stance is "the people asked for Tivo, we listened", but they did the bare minimum. The the new Tivos are glitchy like the HR34, but since they're seen as a relic instead of the wave of the future, they aren't going to be getting proper updates, and they'll be murder to troubleshoot.

Edited by amenic, 18 May 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think the best adivice is to not use Tivo at all. They have multiple requirements and unsupported features when compared with regular dvr units. No multi-room ever, no option for wireless internet, no game search, no TV apps/Youtube, no 3D, no streaming to other devices, and a smaller library of On Demand. Basically DTV signed a long term contract with Tivo years ago, back when it was the only option. They're required to keep making Tivos every once in a while, so they made a castrated system and did the least advertising possible. Their public stance is "the people asked for Tivo, we listened", but they did the bare minimum. The the new Tivos are glitchy like the HR34, but since they're seen as a relic instead of the wave of the future, they aren't going to be getting proper updates, and they'll be murder to troubleshoot.

Agreed, but some people like the interface.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

Protected By... spam firewall...And...