Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

checking switch message

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

Same question to bigdog9586 - Any chance to get a signal from 77W to see if it's a reason ?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

Same question to bigdog9586 - Any chance to get a signal from 77W to see if it's a reason ?

If you mean going to point dish and clicking on 77, than signal drops to zero.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

I mean really set the dish to receive signals from 77W (perhaps add third LNBF, properly aim, etc).

#24 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

It's a known problem with EA customers that don't have 77, either because they were set up that way with 1000.2, or like me because of LOS. If someone doesn't have 77, why bother trying to get a signal? (System info will give them an answer, if they don't already know.) For my location and many others 77 is not needed for any programming.

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

You missed my point: to troubleshoot the OP's issue. Check if it's the reason for annoying requests.

#26 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

You missed my point: to troubleshoot the OP's issue. Check if it's the reason for annoying requests.

No. Just saying that if the OP doesn't have 77 on EA, it's a known issue. It seems silly to expect a customer to add/change/aim dishes/LNBs/wiring to see if there is another issue.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

Silly is not doing anything and complain, IMO ...

If you don't want to move your ... make your hands dirty, do not hesitate to skip the thread. And don't bring annoying advocacy while other posters didn't express their permission for that.

Edited by P Smith, 05 June 2012 - 11:06 AM.

#28 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

Silly is not doing anything and complain, IMO ...

If you don't want to move your ... make your hands dirty, do not hesitate to skip the thread. And don't bring annoying advocacy while other posters didn't express their permission for that.

What advocacy? If the OP doesn't have the equipment or LOS for 77 and Dish has said the absence of 77 on EA causes the check switch problem and that they are working on a fix, How is pointing that out "annoying", and as a customer of Dish, the man certainly should not have to mess with the equipment, especially if it means acquiring parts or re-aiming dishes to a satellite that is not part of his service.

"Silly" was never aimed at you - it's the premise that a customer would have to do the extra trouble shooting - Dish tech support should if the problem hadn't already been identified.

I missed the "permission" to post rule in this forum. :D

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

Then lets take a break and will wait for OP response.

#30 OFFLINE   milwaukee111

milwaukee111

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Over the past month, I had two techs from dish come over to fix the check switch issue.
First guy said it was a heat/fan issue and put both the receivers outside the rack.
Needless to say, it did not solve the problem.
I had even put laptop coolers underneath the hoppers. Made no difference.

Yesterday, another dish tech came over. He checked only a few transponders/signals.
He said that everything was in order and that the checkswitch error was a known issue of all of HIS hopper installations and there was nothing he could do about it.

Matt@dish here on this forum was the one who arranged both the visits. Now matt says that he is going to escalate my issue.

To this day, I don't know whether this problem can be fixed by re-aligning the dish or whether it is a software issue.

#31 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

milwaukee111, did you find and use any info from the thread ? If you'll relay to these techs ..

#32 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have two hoppers and two joeys.
I have disabled the automatic standby function.
I leave all four ON all the time.
But they seem to go into the standby, after their usual 2 (or 3am?) update.

Anyway, every morning, when I turn the TVs on, I get a message "Checking Switch" and it will go through the process of checking all the tuners.

Is this normal?
I called dish and they said they would send a repair man. But I called the company which installed the system and they said that it is normal.

Do others get this check switch message, every morning?

I too get the same message. What I think is funny is I can turn on a Joey first which runs through the hopper so to speak and no message. But go and turn on the hopper and the Joey quits till the hopper is done switch testing.

#33 OFFLINE   broeddog

broeddog

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

I had the same issue on my two Hopper install for the first week it was installed but it was just on one Hopper in the bedroom. During that week every piece of equipment was replaced at least one time and the problem continued. I finally called Dish and was able to talk with one of the engineers and he helped me to trouble shoot my issue. He asked if all the cable was new RG-6 and I told him no that the cable from the duo node to the bedroom was a six month old piece of RG-6, which had been installed six months earlier by Directv. He asked me to have the installer pull a new cable through a window and test it to see if that resolved the issue. The following morning when the installer showed up I told him the engineer suggested pulling a cable through the window which he did. He then followed the setup process by going to the factory setting and set the receiver to factory default and within five minutes the receiver cleared the switch test, reauthorized and has run flawlessly for the last three months.

#34 OFFLINE   pecochran

pecochran

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

Hey there,

I had a similar issue. I had techs out 2 or three times. They replaced the hopper, node, and cables and no fix.

Eventually, I isolated the issue to an apparent problem with the HDMI link between my TV (an Olevia), and the Hopper. I used the HDMI with the hopper to a different TV and no problem. So, while it's not an ideal solution (no need to go into the relative strength of HDMI vs Component; I'm aware of the feelings on this), I connected the Hopper to the Olevia via Component cables and haven't had a problem since.

Just my 2 cents.

#35 OFFLINE   MaryB@DishNetwork

MaryB@DishNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 359 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi, I have had numerous reports of the Hopper forcing a check switch test when it is turned on. This is a result of the hopper not showing the full orbital arc. The accounts that I have researched are all missing the 77 satellite. There is a fix being worked on and will be in a future Software upgrade. I do apologize for all the frustration this issue has cause everyone and we are trying to get the issue resolved.

Mary Catherine Brady
Team Lead- Dish Internet Response Team

Sunday, Tuesday-Thursday 3:30pm-12:00am, Monday 11:30am-8:00pm (MST)

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:35 PM

Are you sure you post in right thread ? Check switch message have nothing to do with HDMI output.

Hey there,

I had a similar issue. I had techs out 2 or three times. They replaced the hopper, node, and cables and no fix.

Eventually, I isolated the issue to an apparent problem with the HDMI link between my TV (an Olevia), and the Hopper. I used the HDMI with the hopper to a different TV and no problem. So, while it's not an ideal solution (no need to go into the relative strength of HDMI vs Component; I'm aware of the feelings on this), I connected the Hopper to the Olevia via Component cables and haven't had a problem since.

Just my 2 cents.

#37 OFFLINE   pecochran

pecochran

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:09 AM

Are you sure you post in right thread ? Check switch message have nothing to do with HDMI output.

Yep. When I had my tv hooked up via hdmi, the hopper would get stuck in a reboot, and every time I turned it on in the morning, it would run a check switch. Sounds like a similar issue that's being described. When I switched to component, I no longer got the check switch every morning.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:27 AM

That's very strange ! It's like telling about a tail movement while the horse is not eat well. :)

spam firewall