Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why is CW in Baltimore still SD?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Anyone know when CW broadcasting from Baltimore, MD will switch to HD on Dish? DTV and Comcast both broadcast CW Baltimore in HD and wondered when it will change with Dish?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,600 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Nothing special about Baltimore. Most markets on Dish do not have their CW in HD via Dish.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

No clue, m8, but you can get the feed for free using OTA so little to no big deal, there

#4 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

No clue, m8, but you can get the feed for free using OTA so little to no big deal, there

Unfortunately I am still in the Baltimore broadcast area but too far to receive OTA. At least the SD reception from Dish is better than my local Comcast SD.

#5 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:22 AM

I will submit a program request form for CW in HD to our programming department for you. Thanks.

Unfortunately I am still in the Baltimore broadcast area but too far to receive OTA. At least the SD reception from Dish is better than my local Comcast SD.

#6 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

I will submit a program request form for CW in HD to our programming department for you. Thanks.

Awesome, Thanks Ray! :D

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,745 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

All you really need to do is wait for next year or so - That's when legislation kicks in that if any stations in a market are HD, then all in HD.

Talk about spectrum crunch !
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#8 OFFLINE   Mark Martin

Mark Martin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

To me this is one of the big differences in DirecTV and Dish. DTV put a heavy emphasis on carrying all the local HD stations in most markets. This has not been a major issue it seems to Dish. I wish Dish carried the CW HD channel in Birmingham.

#9 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

All you really need to do is wait for next year or so - That's when legislation kicks in that if any stations in a market are HD, then all in HD.

Are you referring to the carriage regs? What if a local station isnt transmitting in HD yet, do they have to switch to HD or lose their transmission license? Out local market CW is not in HD, not just on Direct or Dish, but there is no HD feed yet, its strictly a sub-channel to our local HD ABC channel.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,745 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

Perhaps that wasn't stated clearly enough (although I'm pretty sure you know exactly what I meant) -

If any station in a DMA has HD on DBS, then all stations that have HD broadcasts should have HD on DBS available.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#11 OFFLINE   ronfelder

ronfelder

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Awesome, Thanks Ray! :D

Can you do the same for the CW in Philly? Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   ccrowe3

ccrowe3

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Can you do the same for the CW in Philly? Thanks

And Atlanta.

#13 OFFLINE   gargoyle8

gargoyle8

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

This is great news but how is it possible? Here in Tallahassee, CW is available in HD on Comcast but only SD with Directv and Dish. It is an SD OTA subchannel (49.2) of Fox HD (49.1). Does what you are saying mean that the primary Fox HD channel will have to lower the bitrate to make room for a HD subchannel. I have heard of HD subchannels being done in other markets with not so good results as far as picture quality goes. At best, the picture quality would only be as good as Netflix 720p streaming from what I understand.

CW has come out with some good programs in the past few years. I thought I was the only person that was wondering why no HD love. SD OTA and SD Dish picture quality sucks so bad for this channel that I go to Youtube to watch.

PLEASE Ray, add me to that list in Tallahassee. thanks

#14 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 415 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

And Atlanta.

Add Albany, NY if you would.

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

This is great news but how is it possible?

You misunderstood what scooper said - what it REALLY means is, if any stations are HD over-the-air, then DISH must carry those said HD stations in HD on satellite. There is NO law that states stations that offer direct HD feeds to cable co, MUST also be carried in HD on satellite.

Here in Tallahassee, CW is available in HD on Comcast but only SD with Directv and Dish. It is an SD OTA subchannel (49.2) of Fox HD (49.1). Does what you are saying mean that the primary Fox HD channel will have to lower the bitrate to make room for a HD subchannel.

NOT necessarily; if DISH can get a direct HD feed from that (CW) station - just like Comcast does - then they could carry it in HD on DISH. There are some markets where DISH has done this very thing, mostly for the "big 4" nets where some might be broadcast OTA as (SD) subchannels as well.

I have heard of HD subchannels being done in other markets with not so good results as far as picture quality goes. At best, the picture quality would only be as good as Netflix 720p streaming from what I understand.

Not always; you DO realize that both ABC & FOX, as well as cable nets like ESPN(s), natively broadcast in 720p as well. 720p IS still HD & can look as good as 1080i; it's all in how much compression is used.

#16 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

This is a good time to point out that all the superstations are still SD-only as well. :(

#17 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

This is a good time to point out that all the superstations are still SD-only as well. :(

The one's you get in the Superstation pack are, most are available in their respective markets are in HD.

#18 OFFLINE   runner861

runner861

Icon

• Registered
  • 859 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

The one's you get in the Superstation pack are, most are available in their respective markets are in HD.

Wasn't there a situation going on about a year ago where some stations in the Superstation pack were provided in HD to those subscribers who were within the HD spotbeam? It may have occurred by error, but I recall that it was occurring for a lot of subscribers. Is that still going on?

#19 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Wasn't there a situation going on about a year ago where some stations in the Superstation pack were provided in HD to those subscribers who were within the HD spotbeam? It may have occurred by error, but I recall that it was occurring for a lot of subscribers. Is that still going on?

WWOR-HD was on Conus for some reason. Not sure if this was ever corrected.

#20 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

WWOR HD is still available to some superstation subscribers. It is not nor was it on Conus for those subscribers. You have to be within the spotbeam coverage to get it and only on the real channel, not the mapdown.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...