Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Manual Timer- Hopper

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lshen

lshen

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hello. We've had our hopper/joey system around 3 months. Still learning and discovering. Is there a way to set up a manual timer? For example, I want to record on channel 138 every night, 7 days a week, from 1 AM to 330 AM no matter what show is on. I could do this with my old dish receivers prior to switching to the hopper/joey system.

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

This feature was taken away from the 922 years ago when it came out... I don't expect it back with the Hopper.

You used to be able to set such timers manually through the Web or Dish Remote Access apps, though, but I haven't tried in a while.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   lshen

lshen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Thanks. Bummer.

#4 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:54 AM

Hello. We've had our hopper/joey system around 3 months. Still learning and discovering. Is there a way to set up a manual timer? For example, I want to record on channel 138 every night, 7 days a week, from 1 AM to 330 AM no matter what show is on. I could do this with my old dish receivers prior to switching to the hopper/joey system.

This maybe the answer:

http://www.satellite...tml#post2872104

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

This maybe the answer:

http://www.satellite...tml#post2872104

You mean like the answer I gave above when I said they might still be able to do it with Dish Remote Access on their phone or the Web?

I can't verify since I don't have a Hopper... but I did mention this a couple of posts above.

#6 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

You mean like the answer I gave above when I said they might still be able to do it with Dish Remote Access on their phone or the Web?

I can't verify since I don't have a Hopper... but I did mention this a couple of posts above.

No Stewart. Doing the way explained at the link you use your remote and Hopper.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

No Stewart. Doing the way explained at the link you use your remote and Hopper.

That link doesn't describe how to set a manual timer... I checked. It seems to be a description of something that might be a replacement for "Dish Pass" though.

#8 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

You're right Stewart. Should have made that clear. But I knew what I was talking about. :P
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

You're right Stewart. Should have made that clear. But I knew what I was talking about. :P

No problem... When I initially replied I had not visited the link. I checked it later and realized it answered one of the original questions, just not both.

#10 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

This blows. I missed about a third of the game today when the timer didn't fire. They need to fix the EPG or allow manual timers. I tried to set a timer to record the Redskins-Saints game today. When I set it, the EPG just reported "NFL Football: Teams TBA". I set the timer to record weekly, figuring whenever the teams were announced, it would record that. It didn't even skip it. Nothing fired at all. And the EPG now insists I am watching the Eagles-Browns game. For next week, it says "NFL Football: Teams TBA" on Fox again. If I can't set a timer to record Fox at 1:00 every Sunday, that will really suck. I normally don't even start watching the game until 2:00 or 3:00 so I build up a good buffer and see the whole thing in a little over an hour instead of 3+ hrs.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#11 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 393 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

This blows. I missed about a third of the game today when the timer didn't fire. They need to fix the EPG or allow manual timers. I tried to set a timer to record the Redskins-Saints game today. When I set it, the EPG just reported "NFL Football: Teams TBA". I set the timer to record weekly, figuring whenever the teams were announced, it would record that. It didn't even skip it. Nothing fired at all. And the EPG now insists I am watching the Eagles-Browns game. For next week, it says "NFL Football: Teams TBA" on Fox again. If I can't set a timer to record Fox at 1:00 every Sunday, that will really suck. I normally don't even start watching the game until 2:00 or 3:00 so I build up a good buffer and see the whole thing in a little over an hour instead of 3+ hrs.

Same thing happened to me. I set up a timer for the Seahawks/Cardinals game on Monday, September 3rd. The EPG indicated "Teams TBA". My Hopper set it up and listed the timer. I checked again Thursday night. Nothing had changed; I still had the timer and EPG still said "Teams TBA". Yesterday, I had no recording and nothing in the history indicating it had ever been set. Apparently, when the EPG finally does update, it drops the timer. Timely EPG data would solve this.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#12 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

For some reason when the info is changed, Dish's dvrs drop the timer. It's like it thinks the programing was changed and you don't want the new recording. Manual timer would record whatever programing it is, whether the info changed or not. Hopper really needs the manual timer.

#13 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

For those of you still wondering, it has been confirmed that manual timers will (eventually) be added to the Hopper :-

http://www.satellite...011#post2945011

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

How is that link confirmation?

There are lots of things on a list of features to be added that will never be added.

Dish dropped manual timers from the 922... that was a LONG time ago... they kept that firmware to start the Hoppers... so it is a precedent now.

I argued back at the beginning of the 922 that dropping manual timers was a bad thing... I also argued against dropping DishPass timers too... but ALL indication from Dish was that they felt not many people used those features... you know, like when they decide not many people watch a channel?

Dish has shown they are stubborn in things like this... and they aren't likely to backtrack unless they lose a flood of customers... and that isn't likely.

I will be completely surprised if manual timers come back. I wish it so... but I'll be surprised.

#15 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

I have never been happy with Dish's treatment of sports programming. I know there are sports fans in India. Why can't they build in a way to set a timer to record all of a particular team's (or city's) games, no matter what time or channel?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

I have never been happy with Dish's treatment of sports programming. I know there are sports fans in India. Why can't they build in a way to set a timer to record all of a particular team's (or city's) games, no matter what time or channel?

Developers team is small, overloaded and underpaid ... They count each dollar, so they will do what they want regardless of whining in Internet. :(

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,603 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Developers team is small, overloaded and underpaid ... They count each dollar, so they will do what they want regardless of whining in Internet. :(

I won't agree with all that but they certainly seem to be under-appreciated.

Developers do what they are asked to do. Priorities start with fixing things that don't work (not just "don't work the way some customer wants it to work" but not functioning the way it is designed to do. Then priorities shift to new features. Sometimes new features are important enough that they get done before some of the fixes.

At the end of the list is changing the design of the receiver to make it work differently. The receiver works now ... it is lacking the Manual Timer feature. While this (to some) may be a mistake or a horrible oversight it is not a bug. The receiver is not designed to have a Manual Timer.

Personally I hope it is added. I've missed recordings because of the lack of a manual timer.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

The receiver is not designed to have a Manual Timer.

:D
Perhaps more reading here will help you remove rose glasses ... Also, check salary wages for open positions there ...

#19 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

...I also argued against dropping DishPass timers too... but ALL indication from Dish was that they felt not many people used those features... you know, like when they decide not many people watch a channel?

Hopper has "Dish Pass" ... It's called "Seek and Record."

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#20 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hopper has "Dish Pass" ... It's called "Seek and Record."

Does it work beyond the current week, though?

I got the impression that "Seek and Record" only works for events in the current 9-day EPG... while "Dish Pass" worked essentially indefinitely.

I could be wrong, I just didn't think it worked that way.

spam firewall