Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Manual Timer- Hopper

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:29 PM

Does it work beyond the current week, though?

I got the impression that "Seek and Record" only works for events in the current 9-day EPG... while "Dish Pass" worked essentially indefinitely.

The search function works for the 9 day EPG, but when one chooses the green "Seek and Record" option to set a timer it becomes an indefinite timer - similar to DISHPass.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,309 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Developers team is small, overloaded and underpaid ... They count each dollar, so they will do what they want regardless of whining in Internet. :(

Cry me a river. Whose fault is that? Not mine. Being overworked is normal in the New World Order. Previous boxes had manual timers. It was a conscious decision to take them out (or not put them in) during development of software for the new boxes. Who made the decision and why did they think it was a good idea?
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#23 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

The search function works for the 9 day EPG, but when one chooses the green "Seek and Record" option to set a timer it becomes an indefinite timer - similar to DISHPass.

Cool. Learn something new all the time! So, I guess maybe pressure did sort-of bring Dish Pass or something like it back to the Hopper after eliminating it for the 922.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#24 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 377 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

If I do this after the guide listings finally update for a football game (From "teams TBA" to the actual teams playing), would the Hopper set the recording automatically after the guide updates? If so, this would solve the problem I had on Sunday with the Seahawks game.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,221 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

If I do this after the guide listings finally update for a football game (From "teams TBA" to the actual teams playing), would the Hopper set the recording automatically after the guide updates? If so, this would solve the problem I had on Sunday with the Seahawks game.

It depends on when the EPG changed. You could probably set a Seek and Record for "Seahawks" and skip unwanted hits.

#26 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

I havent tested this thouroughly, but you could set a timer for a show in the time range you want to record and then start up to an hour early and end up to 90 minutes late. I think if the original show isn't on some night, you wouldn't get anything, however (again - untested).

I have confirmed you can set a manual timer on dish.sling.com, but found no way to do it on dishonline.com. They have been saying for a long time that dish.sling.com is going away, but it hasn't yet. I don't know if you need the sling adapter to use this. I do have one. After setting a timer this way, on the receiver in the timer list, it just picked one show to show as the timer name, I don't know what would happen if that show isn't on one night. I set up a seven day timer from 9pm CDT to 2am CDT on Hallmark channel (185). I may report back on what happens, if anyone is interested.

Years ago, the 721 receiver handled this great. If a DVR event had more than one program in it, it would list them all, and you could jump to any of them. I expected better handling of this on the Hopper. I didn't expect manual timers to be removed completely! I've not had any experience with at 922, so was unaware they had already been removed from that receiver.

Edited by jeffdb27, 15 October 2012 - 11:09 PM.
mistyped 722 for 721

Hopper (owned) + EHD + Sling Adapter + OTA Adapter
AT200 + BB@Home + RSNs + Locals
SATS: 110/119/129
Dish Network Customer since
October 1996

#27 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:58 PM

I havent tested this thouroughly, but you could set a timer for a show in the time range you want to record and then start up to an hour early and end up to 90 minutes late. I think if the original show isn't on some night, you wouldn't get anything, however (again - untested).

I have confirmed you can set a manual timer on dish.sling.com, but found no way to do it on dishonline.com. They have been saying for a long time that dish.sling.com is going away, but it hasn't yet. I don't know if you need the sling adapter to use this. I do have one. After setting a timer this way, on the receiver in the timer list, it just picked one show to show as the timer name, I don't know what would happen if that show isn't on one night. I set up a seven day timer from 9pm CDT to 2am CDT on Hallmark channel (185). I may report back on what happens, if anyone is interested.

Years ago, the 721 receiver handled this great. If a DVR event had more than one program in it, it would list them all, and you could jump to any of them. I expected better handling of this on the Hopper. I didn't expect manual timers to be removed completely! I've not had any experience with at 922, so was unaware they had already been removed from that receiver.

Dish online had the manual timer option removed which is why you can't find it and manual timers ill be added to the hopper in the future.

#28 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 12:09 PM

Manual Timers would also be needed for when or if they come out with an over the air tuner (USB OTA TUNER) as often some locals that you get free over the air dont have any guide data that you can record on.
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

#29 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Manual Timers would also be needed for when or if they come out with an over the air tuner (USB OTA TUNER) as often some locals that you get free over the air dont have any guide data that you can record on.

Hopefully they will have some better way to obtain guide information. With my 722k I had a station that had guide info for years, then they changed something and it was gone. Dish blamed the station and the station blamed Dish, so there is still not guide information a year later.

October 1996

#30 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:55 AM

I posted an issue a bit back about No Info Available in my Daily Schedule. During the troubleshooting with the advanced tech, he asked me to set a manual timer on my Hopper. I asked him how to do that. He checked somewhere, apologized, and said it wasn't out yet but would be in an upcoming release.

Confirmation? Hardly, but maybe.

#31 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Somehow I doubt it. They took manual timers away from the 922 a couple of years ago (before it launched)... and pretty much said "nobody uses it" as the reason why...

I would love to have manual timers back... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

#32 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

I'm leaning toward yes, hopefully with OTA, since it was already unofficially confirmed.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:59 PM

I'm leaning toward yes, hopefully with OTA, since it was already unofficially confirmed.

Again I echo, don't hold your breath. I'm sure OTA is coming.. but very doubtful about manual timers.

People like me with the 922 and OTA have struggled with the lack of manual timers for several years now and deaf ears from Dish on getting those features back.

Since the Hopper firmware seems to be developed off of the 922 firmware... I'll be very surprised to see manual timers come back.

I hope for it, to be sure! But I'm very skeptical. Somebody somewhere at Dish seems to think "nobody wants it" and seems stubborn about sticking to that opinion.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:45 PM

Again I echo, don't hold your breath. I'm sure OTA is coming.. but very doubtful about manual timers.

People like me with the 922 and OTA have struggled with the lack of manual timers for several years now and deaf ears from Dish on getting those features back.

Since the Hopper firmware seems to be developed off of the 922 firmware... I'll be very surprised to see manual timers come back.

I hope for it, to be sure! But I'm very skeptical. Somebody somewhere at Dish seems to think "nobody wants it" and seems stubborn about sticking to that opinion.

OMG !

How dare are you to tell such harsh things. :D

#35 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:59 PM

It's fine that you're skeptical but someone else at Dish obviously has seen our complaints about the lack of timers and said that they're working on it. I know it's no guarantee but as I said I am leaning toward yes.

Comparing Hopper, Dish's flagship, highly-advertised receiver to Dish's ******* child (the 922) that barely received support as a flagship receiver let alone it's current state with less support than the 722 is IMO not a very fair comparison. Far more people will be using Hopper than ever were using the 922. In 2 years from now I expect Hopper to still be supported and not practically abandoned like the 922 is now compared to when it was released.

#36 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,427 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

It's fine that you're skeptical but someone else at Dish obviously has seen our complaints about the lack of timers and said that they're working on it. I know it's no guarantee but as I said I am leaning toward yes.

Comparing Hopper, Dish's flagship, highly-advertised receiver to Dish's bastard child (the 922) that barely received support as a flagship receiver let alone it's current state with less support than the 722 is IMO not a very fair comparison. Far more people will be using Hopper than ever were using the 922. In 2 years from now I expect Hopper to still be supported and not practically abandoned like the 922 is now compared to when it was released.

I hear what you are saying... I can tell you though that every time I ever ask anything about it, I am given pretty much the same "not many customers use that feature" response as to why it was taken away... and while I surely wish they would change that, and I've pointing out many scenarios where manual timers are more than just a "nice" feature... I haven't seen anything to lead me to believe it is coming back.

You should probably also take the "it is coming soon" or "it is being worked on" with a grain of salt, depending on who told you that... I remember years ago being told that Dish was working on native-pass-through for HD resolutions... and that has yet to happen on any ViP or beyond receiver.

I'm pretty sure there is a list somewhere of all the stuff Dish said "we are working on it" that never happened... I tend to be skeptical and not believe it until I see it if it outside the norm... so I'll be pleasantly surprised if manual timers come back.

I had a little more hope before they started tweaking Dish Online and trying to take away the manual and dish pass timers from there, which had been a workaround on the 922.

#37 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hopper has already had far more proactive software support than even the 722 series. Many of the bugs have been fixed in only 7 months. Several new features have been added in the same timespan. Dish Pass is already on Hopper as "Seek & Record." Dish will soon be adding a "recycle-bin-like" feature to Hopper. I don't think that they'll have much of an issue with adding manual timers back, especially when people have been asking for them back for 2 years. Sure, there is no guarantee, but Dish is really doing things differently with Hopper. Never before has Dish had DIRT, or advertised receivers on television. I see Hopper commercials all the time. I don't think that they're going to leave out functionality that people request. You could make the same argument for OTA, in that "nobody uses it" but again, I'm pretty sure that OTA will be out too, sooner or later. From what I hear, they are waiting on FCC approval. No official confirmation on that, but I'm fairly confident.

Only time will tell us who's gut feeling is correct.

#38 OFFLINE   jeffdb27

jeffdb27

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:20 AM

I discovered another semi-related feature that is gone from the Hopper. On the 622/722 when you were watching a show if you pressed record you were presented with several options. One of which was to record until manually stopped. This is not present on the Hopper. I was watching WSOP Main Event on ESPN last night and it went hours past the allotted time. All it would allow me to do is record the current show then add time to it, which is limited to 90 minutes. I needed more than 90 minutes.

October 1996

#39 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

I would just stay tuned.good things coming