Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Mentalist.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I decide to give Jane one more year to find out who Red John is, again.:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HIGHWAY

HIGHWAY

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts
  • Locationnorth east pa

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

I like the show. i hope they keep it for a few years

#3 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

I like the show. i hope they keep it for a few years

I will keep watching the show to the end, but I really would like them to finish off the Red John story. I still stand by my prediction a few years ago that Red John will turn out to be his father.

#4 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Once I saw this Red John storyline was going to be a continual thing throughout the whole series I told my wife I think it will end with Jane catching Red John and then letting him go so he has something to hate, chase, and keep him motivated to go on living. I admit I thought I'd have to rethink that after last season, but as it turns out I don't yet. What I don't want is it turning out to be one of the team members, his wife he thought was dead, etc.

#5 OFFLINE   Tiny

Tiny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Jack Bauer would have caught Red John and done it in one season not 3 years.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Whoa!! Are you sure that Jack Bauer isn't Red John??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:48 PM

Jack would have caught him in 24 hours.
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#8 OFFLINE   Carolina

Carolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:25 AM

I liked this show until I watched Castle. The chemistry of the cast on Castle just seems so much better than The Mentalist IMHO. I just stopped watching The Mentalist.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

I liked this show until I watched Castle. The chemistry of the cast on Castle just seems so much better than The Mentalist IMHO. I just stopped watching The Mentalist.

I agree the cast chemistry on Castle is better, but I think the writing has slipped a bit. I thought they could have written the last two episodes so much better than they did. They made the event we were all waiting for almost seem like an afterthought. Just my .02.

As far as the Mentalist cast goes, I thought the relationship between Cho and Summer was a nice diversion, but the Lisbon character is completely uninteresting, IMHO.

That said, I thought that last "twist" on the Mentalist season finale was brilliant, especially coming right after they had me thinking for a moment the FBI lady might be in cahoots with RJ.
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   clueless

clueless

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:11 AM

Jack would have caught him in 24 hours.

And shot him in the thigh.

#11 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

I will keep watching the show to the end, but I really would like them to finish off the Red John story. I still stand by my prediction a few years ago that Red John will turn out to be his father.

Mrs. Fluffybear says her money is on Jane himself being Red John.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#12 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:39 PM

Mrs. Fluffybear says her money is on Jane himself being Red John.

I've begun to think that the last couple of episodes.
DogLover

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

I've begun to think that the last couple of episodes.

I really don't think it will end that way. Let me explain why I believe it will be his father. The time that he flashback to his childhood if I remember correctly he has some sort of dispute with his father and it was never visited again. For a long time I had a problem with this solution which how did Red John get the technical knowledge he has showed since the series began. The other day it occur to me that his father could be controlling the leader of the Cult whose name I forget and they would provide the knowledge needed.

#14 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:26 PM

I really don't think it will end that way. Let me explain why I believe it will be his father. The time that he flashback to his childhood if I remember correctly he has some sort of dispute with his father and it was never visited again. For a long time I had a problem with this solution which how did Red John get the technical knowledge he has showed since the series began. The other day it occur to me that his father could be controlling the leader of the Cult whose name I forget and they would provide the knowledge needed.

Oh the California Jim Jones type guy? I don't think so. They were actually getting along the last time in a weird sort of way. Honestly this is what I think. And I know this sucks the life out of everything. This year or next year the ratings are going to suck because of where they moved the show and it'll get cancelled before there's any resolution. That will really suck for everyone like us who invested their time getting interested in the show. But just ask those who liked CSI Miami how they liked it's ending. Apparently not so much.

#15 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Yeah, well, my money is not on Jane's father, or anyone at the CBI, but the leader (McDowell) of Visualize. It's possible that RJ is actually the ORIGINAL leader of Visualize, who they say died years ago, but who really knows? All I can say for sure after this year's finale is, the new young head of the CBI is NOT RJ.:D

I shiuld add, that considering they said that Jane has been working on his plan to lure RJ out for over six months, the execution of that plan was pathetic!:eek: They didn't need any modern DNA tests to see it wasn't Rigsby, not even fingetprints, just a tape measure!?! REALLY! Just pathetic...
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#16 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:03 AM

The guy who was the head of the police force at the seasons start (he ended up on Unforgettable) seemed to have something to do with RJ too. He seemed very happy Jane was going to go to prison and frustrated he wasn't. It felt like he was in cahoots too.

#17 OFFLINE   jjbatt0336

jjbatt0336

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

The upcoming season for the Mentalist will be it's last. Any time CBS schedules a show at 10:00 PM Eastern, on Sunday night, that show will die on the vine. Starting time for the show could be as late as 10:30 or 10:45. CBS as a tough time understanding the a Football game hasn't ended before 7:00 in a number of years.

#18 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:30 AM

The upcoming season for the Mentalist will be it's last. Any time CBS schedules a show at 10:00 PM Eastern, on Sunday night, that show will die on the vine. Starting time for the show could be as late as 10:30 or 10:45. CBS as a tough time understanding the a Football game hasn't ended before 7:00 in a number of years.

Did I miss a story somewhere where Robin Tuney or Simon Baker announced they would not be returning to the show after this coming season? It's about the only good reason I can think of that CBS would do something so foolish. Stick something such as CBS:NY over there but not a show which still has a loyal audience.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#19 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

The problem is 60 minutes. If you notice, Fox on a doubleheader week doesn't schedule things to start until 8. Then if it starts 5-10 minutes later no biggie. CBS has decided come hell or high water 60 Minutes MUST air along with a full 3 hours of prime time. I don't exactly understand this. If 60 Minutes is so important than schedule it at 8 and push back some show to mid season or the weeks of doubleheaders and other sporting events that routinely run past 7 air a 60 minutes rerun and join it in progress.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

I can't disagree with this; Castle is a much better show.

But The Mentalist has its value.

Castle is very hard to follow. There is a point of diminishing returns in light entertainment when you start asking too much of the viewer to be able to follow how intricate the plot might be, clever as they are. It's really a lot of work.

Sometimes I find them discussing a case at the white board and they mention three or more people that I don't even recognize the names of, and that with me paying rapt attention all along. Heaven help you if you have a living room full of kids distracting you.

If the Castle writers, who are about as good as it gets, are falling down in any capacity, it's that they do not bring the viewer along well enough; they expect all of that heavy lifting to be done by the viewer. It's daunting. Thank God its not a serialized storyline.

If I am going to pick Castle to watch from my DVR, I not only have to be in the right mood, I have to have my wits about me and it has to be early enough in the evening that they won't put me to sleep. I worked all day; it's hard to get motivated to work this hard at just trying to relax and watch TV.

And that is the beauty of The Mentalist. It is simple enough to follow when you are only half-able to pay attention. If I'm tired, it's either that or CSI, because they bring the viewer along. THEY do the heavy lifting. Castle never does. Sometimes, that's exactly what folks are looking for--the ability to vegitate without any pressure. It's what made CSI:Miami the most popular show in the world; it still might be outside the USA.

Edited by TomCat, 14 November 2012 - 08:14 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...