Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Mentalist.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Interesting theory, huh?

He is a professional con man, after all. If I were the producer, that is how I would end the series; it is revealed that Patrick Jane killed his family and created an elaborate cover-up of a fictional serial killer named Red John, precisely to throw suspicion off of him. He conned us, the viewers, along with everyone else.

Every scene in the series, just like every scene in The Sixth Sense that originally did not disprove that the main character was dead, can be explained as either a part of Patrick's cover-up, or as him conflicted and guilty over his crime.

Has this theory already been floated somewhere?

Regardless, I started out thinking this was a simple series with low goals for drama, another Murder, She Wrote plot-simple procedural. In many ways, that's exactly what it is. But as I watched, I grew more and more enamored of the Patrick Jane character. He's a scoundrel. An A-hole. A pussy. A genius. A sociopath. Not really at all likable. And has turned out to be one of the most charismatic, interesting, fascinating characters on television. Probably a combo of good writing and good acting.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Mrs. Fluffybear says her money is on Jane himself being Red John.

Oh Wow! I'm not alone! Mrs. Fluffybear must be psychic! :) Or maybe I am. Or maybe I read this thread 6 months ago!
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#23 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Interesting theory, huh?

He is a professional con man, after all. If I were the producer, that is how I would end the series; it is revealed that Patrick Jane killed his family and created an elaborate cover-up of a fictional serial killer named Red John, precisely to throw suspicion off of him. He conned us, the viewers, along with everyone else.

Every scene in the series, just like every scene in The Sixth Sense that originally did not disprove that the main character was dead, can be explained as either a part of Patrick's cover-up, or as him conflicted and guilty over his crime.

Regardless, I started out thinking this was a simple series with low goals for drama, another Murder, She Wrote plot-simple procedural. In many ways, that's exactly what it is. But as I watched, I grew more and more enamored of the Patrick Jane character. He's a scoundrel. An A-hole. A pussy. A genius. A sociopath. Not really at all likable. And has turned out to be one of the most charismatic, interesting, fascinating characters on television. Probably a combo of good writing and good acting.

Just does not work for me. It has been mention in other post but to me it is too much of a cop out. I sure hope that the writers could come to better ending.

#24 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Oh Wow! I'm not alone! Mrs. Fluffybear must be psychic! :) Or maybe I am. Or maybe I read this thread 6 months ago!

Maybe you are Red John.:)

#25 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,744 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm John, but not Red.

Popped in to say I saw the set on which most of Mentalist is filmed- The Warner Bros. lot in beautiful downtown Burbank. The couch on which Jane reposes is quite real, quite dilapidated. Apparently Simon Baker is well liked there, but said to be very serious about his acting.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#26 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

In order for Patrick Jane to be Red John, they'd have to forget about several episodes. *Especially* the one where he was tied up BY Red John, never being allowed to actually SEE him.

#27 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

If he was Red John would they spin off The Hunt For Red John? Would we be rooting for him, a serial killer, I don't think so. Dexter maybe.

#28 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

PATRICK IS RED JOHN

Interesting theory, huh?

Um, about a million times in the various forums I read.

People who are much to much into these things--much more than I am--have pointed out that there were at leat two or three times in the show that RJ personally did things while Patrick was elsewhere, so he COULD NOT be RJ. I don't remember the incidents to recall them here, but apparently there were some. The writers could, or course, forget those details as well and make him RJ, but that would be a terrible cop-out from my point of view. There is NO WAY the profiler cold have been Jack of All Trades, and likewise with The Mentalist. :)
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#29 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

I actually find that the whole Red John parts are becoming more and more aggravating. I wish they would just close that out and go to shows that have a start and finish in the same episode.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#30 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,420 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:39 PM

CBS Renews 18 Primetime Shows for the 2013-2014 Season

Posted Image

Freshman hit "Elementary" will join 17 other series as part of the Eye's lineup next season.

. . . .

READ MORE

Red John is a mild mass murderer compared to what is currently being aired on FOX. Does CBS pick up the gore or does it stay mental?

#31 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

Very nice. Nice pleasant show.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#32 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:46 PM

In order for Patrick Jane to be Red John, they'd have to forget about several episodes. *Especially* the one where he was tied up BY Red John, never being allowed to actually SEE him.

I have had the pleasure of watching a few eps now with this thought (Patrick might be RJ and this is an elaborate hoax) in mind. The more I watch the more it seems not possible.

He still might be involved in his family's demise, but it hardly seems likely. He certainly has repressed that if so. Some may remember the great Mickey Rourke movie "Angel Heart", where he is a detective trying to solve a string of crimes <spoiler alert, but hey that movie is 25 years old, so probably not needed> that he actually realizes in the end that he himself committed. Realizing that you are capable of something heinous may be the most frightening thing of all. The elevator going down (assumably to hell) in the end credits was brilliant. My favorite De Niro role, also.

spam firewall