Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mountain network /pac12 network...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1670 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

DirecTV's Mike White said on a conference call today that they have no interest in carrying Longhorn Network and don't have plans right now to carry PAC-12 Network. Said he knows they are definitely not going to carry all 7 networks for sure. Just main PAC-12 Network if they decide to carry any at all.
Go Big Red!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

DirecTV's Mike White said on a conference call today that they have no interest in carrying Longhorn Network and don't have plans right now to carry PAC-12 Network. Said he knows they are definitely not going to carry all 7 networks for sure. Just main PAC-12 Network if they decide to carry any at all.

Not quite what I saw. The quote I saw said they weren't sure what they were doing with PAC 12. No inference that thy don't want it. Just said it won't be 7 channels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#23 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not quite what I saw. The quote I saw said they weren't sure what they were doing with PAC 12. No inference that thy don't want it. Just said it won't be 7 channels.

You are correct. Sorry about that. I just went back and read it again and he said they aren't sure what they are doing with the PAC-12 but they aren't going to carry 7 channels. Thanks for the correction.
Go Big Red!!!

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

You are correct. Sorry about that. I just went back and read it again and he said they aren't sure what they are doing with the PAC-12 but they aren't going to carry 7 channels. Thanks for the correction.

sure. I was wondering if you had seen something more/different.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#25 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:52 AM

Not anymore. RSN's will no longer carry Pac 12 football games.

Is this true? If it is Direct will have to carry Pac 12 network or have a lot of pissed subs including me. At least offer it in a supplemental sports package.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#26 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

http://www.mediapost...sary-but-n.html

"White said DirecTV isn’t sure what it will do with the Pac-12 Network group. “We’re not going to have seven channels -- I can assure you of that,” he said.

Read more: http://www.mediapost...l#ixzz1wjUy0cmL"

My relationship with Directv may be coming to an end. When the direct competitor in the market place - Comcast - does carry the network, that's a problem. Also Directv won't carry CSN - Northwest, which carries the Trail Blazers.

It's more and more likely every day the plug will be pulled soon. I've noticed that many neighbors have returned to Comcast as well. This guy was on my door step yesterday and he had a list of the entire neighborhood and who was paying what. He had some good sign up deals, but I am skeptical on the follow through. But if CEO White is so sure then I guess I need to do what I need to do.

#27 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 475 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

http://www.mediapost...sary-but-n.html

"White said DirecTV isn’t sure what it will do with the Pac-12 Network group. “We’re not going to have seven channels -- I can assure you of that,” he said.

Read more: http://www.mediapost...l#ixzz1wjUy0cmL"

My relationship with Directv may be coming to an end. When the direct competitor in the market place - Comcast - does carry the network, that's a problem. Also Directv won't carry CSN - Northwest, which carries the Trail Blazers.

It's more and more likely every day the plug will be pulled soon. I've noticed that many neighbors have returned to Comcast as well. This guy was on my door step yesterday and he had a list of the entire neighborhood and who was paying what. He had some good sign up deals, but I am skeptical on the follow through. But if CEO White is so sure then I guess I need to do what I need to do.

It's not that DirecTV doesn't want to carry CSN NW, it's that Comcast wants too much for the channel and are basically withholding it as they do in Philly. As to them not carrying the PAC-12 subchannels I don't see a big problem with that. The main network will carry the football games. But go with Comcast if you want of they have what you need.
Go Big Red!!!

#28 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Is this true? If it is Direct will have to carry Pac 12 network or have a lot of pissed subs including me. At least offer it in a supplemental sports package.

DirecTV needs the Pac 12 network and the Pac 12 needs DirecTV. I can't imagine it not happening. Probably the only hold up right now is how to handle the seven regional channels the Pac 12 has created. They created them with cable in mind, not having a clue how satellite or even Fios work. (Actually, I think the Pac 12 has overreached with their plan and are pretty damned dumb.)

I would see a main version of the Pac 12 network and game only subs (like the BTN) but as the Pac 12 network is trying to do special programming for each channel, there has to be some planning to make it work right.

#29 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

DirecTV needs the Pac 12 network and the Pac 12 needs DirecTV. I can't imagine it not happening. Probably the only hold up right now is how to handle the seven regional channels the Pac 12 has created. They created them with cable in mind, not having a clue how satellite or even Fios work. (Actually, I think the Pac 12 has overreached with their plan and are pretty damned dumb.)

I would see a main version of the Pac 12 network and game only subs (like the BTN) but as the Pac 12 network is trying to do special programming for each channel, there has to be some planning to make it work right.

maybe they can do a FS / FSN like sub feed setup for the regional channels
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#30 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

maybe they can do a FS / FSN like sub feed setup for the regional channels

I guess the other option would be to put the Pac-12 regional channels on spot beams for the appropriate regions, but I'm guessing those are pretty full and may not be pointing at the correct larger areas for each region, since they were originally set for city DMAs.

#31 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:55 AM

It's not that DirecTV doesn't want to carry CSN NW, it's that Comcast wants too much for the channel and are basically withholding it as they do in Philly. As to them not carrying the PAC-12 subchannels I don't see a big problem with that. The main network will carry the football games. But go with Comcast if you want of they have what you need.

I agree that's what Directv says, but then look around and quite a few of Comcast's sister channels are, in fact, on Directv. So really it comes down to priorities and this isn't one of them.

#32 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:58 AM

Who knows if it is a negotiation ploy or what, but I am getting so sick of these programming disputes all over the place. With the Pac 12 removed from Root Sports Northwest (fka Fox Sports Northwest) it really devalues this channel big time. Yet we will will get it because Directv owns the channel. Root Sports' programming costs go way down because there are no more football games, but do you think we'll see a price reduction because of that? Doubtful.

#33 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

I guess the other option would be to put the Pac-12 regional channels on spot beams for the appropriate regions, but I'm guessing those are pretty full and may not be pointing at the correct larger areas for each region, since they were originally set for city DMAs.

diden't they used to have RSN HD on the spots?

But directv SD slots are pretty full as well.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#34 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:17 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...902#post3028902

Mike White said that they will not have all seven networks. The 350 events that include football and men's basketball are all supposed to be on the national network and simulcast to all 6 regional networks. It would be a major waste of bandwidth to carry the same content seven times. Hopefully we'll see something unique for satellite.

#35 OFFLINE   Redbullsnation

Redbullsnation

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

this would've solved a lot easier if DirecTV threw more money up and GET MORE CAPACITY for those channels but no, they want to cutback, for reasons unknown, the Pac-12 nation will suffer...

#36 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

I think you can twist words or somehow write it up that way, but it does come down to priorities. If enough of us walked away then maybe it is a business decision to carry it.

Much of this problem is that Directv owns Root Sports Northwest, a direct competitor. With the Pac 12 football gone Root is losing a LOT of content, and thus lower bills and should lower our rates under this same theory. We all know that won't ever happen.

Really it comes down to this - Directv needs to offer Pac-12 network to remain competitive against Comcast and other cable companies carrying the channel. To live in a west coast city and not have access to the Pac 12 Network is ridiculous. I can't see it happening, but if it does Directv cannot possibly refer to itself as a sports leader.

Those other Comcast RSN's are on D* because the circumstances were different. Some were converted FSN's that were already under contract with precedent set, and none of them outside of of Philly and NW are majority owned by Comcast. In the other markets the pro teams own a stake and their intentions are much different than Comcast's, they want as many viewers as possible.

In Oregon, the Blazers are enraged at what CSNNW is doing, but they gave them 100% ownership of their product for 10 years. So they have nobody to blame but themselves for the horrible business deal. They got blinded by the $$$'s and forgot to read the small print, and didn't understand that Comcast's vision wasn't necessarily what there vision was.

If Comcast had it's way, none of the RSN's would be on satellite in markets where they are a cable provider. Even with the customers they lose in those regions that can't get Comcast, they come out way ahead. What would you rather have: $1 per customer, or $75+ for some overpriced cable package w/ the RSN on your cable service.

I read a WSJ article a couple of years ago that if CSN Philly became available on satellite, they could lose around 400,000 customers to the competition (suddenly those $75+ people buying your service are $1 people buying the competitions service). So they're going to fight to hang onto their monopoly tooth and nail. And because it isn't a true free market, the customers lose. Either they don't get the product, or they have to overpay to get it.

#37 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

While there will be 350 events on the national network in the first year, there will be another 500 events on the regionals.

They need 7 channels to carry 2-3 events a day?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#38 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 688 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

It really would be embarrassing for the P12 & D* not to come to an agreement considering D*'s Hdqrs are in El Segundo, CA, about 10 miles from the UCLA campus.

#39 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I doubt there would be more than two alternate channels if D* ultimately reaches a deal with the Pac-12, although there may be concern if all 12 schools are playing at the same time. Pardon my lack of knowledge on college sports scheduling.

#40 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,495 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:08 AM

It really would be embarrassing for the P12 & D* not to come to an agreement considering D*'s Hdqrs are in El Segundo, CA, about 10 miles from the UCLA campus.

They're almost equidistant from UCLA and USC if you're driving it -- Google says 13.2 miles to UCLA, 13.4 miles to USC.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...