Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mountain network /pac12 network...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1670 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

They need 7 channels to carry 2-3 events a day?

huh? You really haven't followed the Pac 12 Network concept have you? It's MORE than just football. It's all of athletic events at the schools:

From wikipedia, which sums it up well:

"Upon launch, the networks will feature 24-hour a day, 7-day a week coverage of classic-to-current Pac-12 sports, including olympic sports. In addition, the networks plan to produce roughly 850 events a year (350 events on Pac-12's national network and 500 events on Pac-12 regional networks),[2] including 35 football games, 100 men's basketball games, 40 women's basketball games, all spring football games, coaches shows, and news conferences will be featured nationally on the main Pac-12 network. The networks are expected to be launched in HD."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

They're almost equidistant from UCLA and USC if you're driving it -- Google says 13.2 miles to UCLA, 13.4 miles to USC.

Good, when some wealthy, well placed Trojan alums seek out the top brass at Directv because their USC team is the game of the week and they can't see it on TV that will be good. All the help we can get is what we need.

#43 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:02 AM

huh? You really haven't followed the Pac 12 Network concept have you? It's MORE than just football. It's all of athletic events at the schools:

From wikipedia, which sums it up well:

"Upon launch, the networks will feature 24-hour a day, 7-day a week coverage of classic-to-current Pac-12 sports, including olympic sports. In addition, the networks plan to produce roughly 850 events a year (350 events on Pac-12's national network and 500 events on Pac-12 regional networks),[2] including 35 football games, 100 men's basketball games, 40 women's basketball games, all spring football games, coaches shows, and news conferences will be featured nationally on the main Pac-12 network. The networks are expected to be launched in HD."

By your own description that's still only 2-3 live events a day and a bunch of old reruns of old sporting events. Spread that out over 7 networks and it's mighty thin.

Would you be just as enthusiastic if D* planned to launch 7 versions of the Cooking Channel with similar amounts of new programming?
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#44 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Would be great if they showed Pac12 Volleyball, so many of the top talent from Florida end up out west for their college careers

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

#45 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

By your own description that's still only 2-3 live events a day and a bunch of old reruns of old sporting events. Spread that out over 7 networks and it's mighty thin.

Would you be just as enthusiastic if D* planned to launch 7 versions of the Cooking Channel with similar amounts of new programming?

and how many true live sporting events take place on ESPN on Tuesdays and Wednesdays?

Like any other sports channel you will see the bulk of any content on the weekends and Thursdays and Fridays.

#46 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Most of the programming besides football, and maybe basketball, will be lucky to get 5,000 viewers. It's the same with The Longhorn Network, because who really watches college softball or soccer?

#47 OFFLINE   garn9173

garn9173

Icon

• Registered
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

It really would be embarrassing for the P12 & D* not to come to an agreement considering D*'s Hdqrs are in El Segundo, CA, about 10 miles from the UCLA campus.

Don't hold your breath on D* carrying the regional Pac-12 networks.

https://twitter.com/...690186987651072

DirecTV's Mike White: "We haven’t figured out what we’re doing with Pac-12 but we’re not going to have 7 channels. I can assure you that."

Dish Network (February 2002-August 2005)
Mediacom (August 2005-1/27/07)
DirecTV (1/27-07 - 4/14)

Dish Network (4/14 - ??)  Hopper, Super Joey, and two Joey receivers.

#48 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Most of the programming besides football, and maybe basketball, will be lucky to get 5,000 viewers. It's the same with The Longhorn Network, because who really watches college softball or soccer?

And people line up to watch Poker om ESPN and Fox sports? Seriously.....

I would agree on soccer, but yuou'd be surprised the following it has.

#49 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

And people line up to watch Poker om ESPN and Fox sports? Seriously.....

I would agree on soccer, but yuou'd be surprised the following it has.

I'd like to watch the pac12 out here in the midwest, since I'm an Arizona State U. alum. :D

As for poker ratings? The world series of poker, on espn, scored a .5 rating (646,000 viewers).

#50 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

I'd like to watch the pac12 out here in the midwest, since I'm an Arizona State U. alum. :D

Cool, ironically I am also an ASU alum:hurah:

#51 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

GO COUGS!!! I've already told my wife that if I can't watch all Cougar games on Directv, I'm signing up with comcast. Enough said!

#52 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:19 PM

GO COUGS!!! I've already told my wife that if I can't watch all Cougar games on Directv, I'm signing up with comcast. Enough said!

Well so long and enjoy Comcrap then. :)
Go Big Red!!!

#53 OFFLINE   Boston_bill

Boston_bill

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Cool, ironically I am also an ASU alum:hurah:

Ive become an Arizona State fan over the last few years my ex girlfriend was from AZ. Really hoping we get the Pac-12 Network. I got almost every ASU game on FSAZ.

#54 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,708 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Don't hold your breath on D* carrying the regional Pac-12 networks.

https://twitter.com/...690186987651072

That says it all right there.

Do they really need of all of these new RSN's when they already have perfectly good RSN's already in place in all of those regions that can show the games?

I guess it really is all about the money.

#55 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

That says it all right there.

Do they really need of all of these new RSN's when they already have perfectly good RSN's already in place in all of those regions that can show the games?

I guess it really is all about the money.

Under this theory, did Time Warner need to start a new RSN for Laker games when there is a perfectly good Fox Sports channel?

Did Comcast need to start a sports channel in Houston?

Do the Mets and Yankees really need to show themselves on two different sports channels in New York?

Do we really need ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, and then ESPN3 web streaming?

I guess we can go on and on with this.....

#56 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Under this theory, did Time Warner need to start a new RSN for Laker games when there is a perfectly good Fox Sports channel?

Did Comcast need to start a sports channel in Houston?

Do the Mets and Yankees really need to show themselves on two different sports channels in New York?

Do we really need ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, and then ESPN3 web streaming?

I guess we can go on and on with this.....

Go back a few years when the Chicago teams dumped FSN and started CSN that they own 80% of. They wanted more control over there own broadcasts.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#57 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:10 PM

I'm getting all my information through unofficial channels, not from the PAC12 Network or DirecTV, but blogs like this one, so I can't guarantee it's accuracy. What I understand the dispute between those two is:
1) $$
2) What/where stations/programming
The 7 stations are comprised of a national station (I'll call it 12.1), and six regional stations of geographically-paired stations, UA & ASU (12.2 Arizona), Stanford & UCB (12.3 Bay Area), ... similarly (Los Angeles), (Mountain), (Oregon), (Washington).

The national station will carry the "marquee" game, attempting to rotate/balance coverage during the season amongst the member schools... There is discussion (but no contractual restriction) to limiting each member school to no more than 2 "national" broadcasts... But when ratings are taken into account, will USC end up appearing 5 times on 12.1?
The home team, in cases of different regional teams, will comprise the region designated station... UCLA@ASU will be broadcast on 12.2 Arizona, but not on the Los Angeles station.

The PAC12 is attempting to schedule games where one team is home and the other on the road, or at different times if both teams are at home so there are no broadcast conflicts.
The network model maximizes the number of games/sports which can be broadcast over the seven stations, but also virtually requires that all seven stations are CONUS to enable viewers across the country to ensure that they can watch their particular team.
This seems to replicate the current RSN/out-of-market RSN's format, but differs in one fundamental way.
There is a "virtual" 12.1-equivalent RSN which is a default broadcast over all of the regionals, not just over the "PAC12" region, but across all regionals nationwide. The same game is simulcast on most of the regions, with the exception of blackouts or region-specific exclusive negotiated contracts. Those of you with the regional package have seen what I'm talking about... Ball ST@Ohio ST is on all of the RSN's.

All of you that are promising to leave DirecTV, need to take into account that what the PAC12 Network folks are insisting that DTV carry... and pay for... is a departure from the current options, and when it appears that all of the other conferences seem like-minded, it is apparent that DTV can't accomodate ALL of them... there is going to have to be some sort of compromise.

As a UCLA alum, who lives out of state, I would like to see this come to fruition in its entirety... but I don't see it happening.

#58 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

The 7 stations are comprised of a national station (I'll call it 12.1), and six regional stations of geographically-paired stations, UA & ASU (12.2 Arizona), Stanford & UCB (12.3 Bay Area), ... similarly (Los Angeles), (Mountain), (Oregon), (Washington).

The national station will carry the "marquee" game, attempting to rotate/balance coverage during the season amongst the member schools...

The network model maximizes the number of games/sports which can be broadcast over the seven stations, but also virtually requires that all seven stations are CONUS to enable viewers across the country to ensure that they can watch their particular team.

Carry the national feed full time and have football and basketball game-only part time feeds for the rest. Problem solved.

Questions? See BTN.

#59 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

UCLA@ASU will be broadcast on 12.2 Arizona, but not on the Los Angeles station.

How would this work if you have cable in LA and only get the national P12 channel and the LA regional one? Would you not have access to the game? Is P12 expecting all the cable operators to carry all 7 channels? I thought that was a unique problem for the satellite guys which is why they're much more reluctant to sign on.

#60 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 403 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

How would this work if you have cable in LA and only get the national P12 channel and the LA regional one? Would you not have access to the game? Is P12 expecting all the cable operators to carry all 7 channels? I thought that was a unique problem for the satellite guys which is why they're much more reluctant to sign on.

This could very well end with out-of-market cable and satellite subscribers being forced to watch many of the games via the PAC-12 Network's online (authenticated) offering.

Oregon fan living in LA? Get your PAC12-ToGo app ready!

spam firewall