Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

mountain network /pac12 network...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1670 replies to this topic

#1651 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Maybe you're new to this new fangled thing called internet forums, but each post is pretty much our opinion and how this works. Each time you post, it's YOUR opinion. :rolleyes:

Psssst...he joined this forum before you...

photo.jpg                NBC-Premier-Feature-300x150.jpg                      mzl.qyoyojll.100x100-75.png

Pac-12 Network...please                        Premier League Extra Time...please                            NBC Sports Live Extra...please

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#1652 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,983 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

Discuss the topic and NOT each other. If I have to say that once more this thread is CLOSED.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#1653 OFFLINE   dahlemann

dahlemann

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

One of the reasons I like this thread is the variety of opinions expressed. None of us really know what's happening in the negotiations but it's fun to discuss what we think might be happening.

Sometimes I'm sure my idea is right till I read someone else's opinion and realize there are things I didnt think about.
Lets go Oilers!
Love for God, Love hockey players
David

#1654 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Stanford football is on right now. And I can't watch it on directv. i could care less what they are rated I want to watch them. And every other west coast pac 12 game that is on tv in hd. Texas will never care about the pac 12, but I do. Of course I won't cancel directv for the pac 12. I get every NFL game for free. But I may have to add cable tv to my monthly bill and home theater connection/switching hassles. Just keep calling directv and complaining about adding a $50 per month fee just to watch a few college football games.

I got rich when they shut off Versus for 7 months and i'll bribe them for credits until they offer at least 1 pac 12 network channel. Fill their phone lines with "support my $&#%* cable bill" until they give in. Today I mentioned the sports pack is worthless except for soccer channel and she didn't know what to say. No pac 12 no sports pack!

I'm in the same boat and I'm in Texas. No way I'm giving up DirecTV but I want my Pac-12.

I've been trying to think of the cheapest way to get it. I haven't actually set it up yet (Arizona is on ESPNU this week) but here's my plan:

1) subscribe to the cheapest Time Warner package. This could be Lifeline (mostly just locals, not sure of cost) or their "Basic TV" for $25. Then add the Sports Pass for $7.

2) don't do a cable tv install, so no costs for a settop box or DVR. (I already have Time Warner internet, so the wires are already in place)

3) All seven Pac-12 channels should then be available online.

I can either watch on my iPad, iPhone or computer. Or, if I want it on the big screen, I can stream from my iPad or Macbook Air to the big screen via Apple TV and the AirPlay feature.

Lifeline is never advertised by cablecos but they have to offer it. I think the cost is usually around $10-$12 a month. I'm guessing I can add the Sports Pass to it but I'm not certain.

My final cost would be around $20 to $32 a month, plus tax. $20 a month is definitely acceptable. The difficulty may come in trying to explain to Time Warner that I want to pay for cable tv but I don't want it installed. :-)
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#1655 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

One of the reasons I like this thread is the variety of opinions expressed. None of us really know what's happening in the negotiations but it's fun to discuss what we think might be happening.

Sometimes I'm sure my idea is right till I read someone else's opinion and realize there are things I didnt think about.

Exactly!
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1656 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

One thing the Pac-12 dorsnt have in its favor as far as ratings/demand goes is that many of its games do not start until 10 or 11 eastern time. Why force people on the eastern shore to pay for this when they likely wouldn't be watching in the first place?

Requiring a subscription to the sports pack for those out of the pac-12 territory sounds reasonable to me. Heck, i have subscribed to the sports pack all these years so i can watch college basketball games broadcasted from the left coast rsns.

Your comments were part of the reason the Pac12 wanted their own network. Too many of their games were put into the late time slots where voters (top 25 & post season awards) were asleep. The hope is by clearing more late afternoon games the audience will be greater. Outside of USC the PAC doesn't get a lot of publicity. If you look at Oregon's overall numbers the last 10 years they are near the top of CFB. Cal has a WR who could be a Heisman hopeful a lot of people have never heard of in Kennean Allen. Hopefully this gets resolved soon!

#1657 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

I'm in the same boat and I'm in Texas. No way I'm giving up DirecTV but I want my Pac-12.

I've been trying to think of the cheapest way to get it. I haven't actually set it up yet (Arizona is on ESPNU this week) but here's my plan:

1) subscribe to the cheapest Time Warner package. This could be Lifeline (mostly just locals, not sure of cost) or their "Basic TV" for $25. Then add the Sports Pass for $7.

2) don't do a cable tv install, so no costs for a settop box or DVR. (I already have Time Warner internet, so the wires are already in place)

I can either watch on my iPad, iPhone or computer. Or, if I want it on the big screen, I can stream from my iPad or Macbook Air to the big screen via Apple TV and the AirPlay feature.

Lifeline is never advertised by cablecos but they have to offer it. I think the cost is usually around $10-$12 a month. I'm guessing I can add the Sports Pass to it but I'm not certain.

My final cost would be around $20 to $32 a month, plus tax. $20 a month is definitely acceptable. The difficulty may come in trying to explain to Time Warner that I want to pay for cable tv but I don't want it installed. :-)

Seems like a good alternative.. You'd think in the day of getting HBO go and all that, we could watch Pac12 networks without the hassle. Real Bummer..

#1658 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 476 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

This post is in response to the person that said the picture quality was horrible. I saw the Stanford game highlights on Sportscenter earlier and the picture looked really good to me. Must be your cable provider's issue with the picture quality being so bad.
Go Big Red!!!

#1659 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Look's like ESPN forgot about the PAC-12 Networks, also... :)

This is from the ESPN NCAA Football scores page. It indicates that you can watch a replay of the game on ESPN3 or WatchESPN...(you can't). Ooooops!!!

Posted Image

Looks like someone got the word to ESPN... :)

Posted Image

Edited by Fog627, 01 September 2012 - 09:46 AM.

photo.jpg                NBC-Premier-Feature-300x150.jpg                      mzl.qyoyojll.100x100-75.png

Pac-12 Network...please                        Premier League Extra Time...please                            NBC Sports Live Extra...please

#1660 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

Lifeline may be part of internet on it's own or you can get a deal that makes internet + cable cost the same as internet on it's own.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#1661 OFFLINE   samuraiduck

samuraiduck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

[quote name='sigma1914']That's good - the important games will be on Fox. Here's the Pac12 games on Fox:

Hawaii at USC (Pac 12)
Nebraska at UCLA (Pac 12)
USC at Stanford (Pac 12)
UCLA at Cal (Pac 12)
USC at Washington (Pac 12)
Stanford at Cal (Pac 12)
Oregon at USC (Pac 12)
Oregon at Cal (Pac 12)
Stanford at Oregon (Pac 12)
Washington at Washington State (Pac 12)
Oregon at Oregon State (Pac 12)
Pac 12 Football Championship Game

You're kidding, right? You see that big ol' asterisk on the top line by the word "Fox"? That refers to -subject to change. That's their out. This is just a Fox wish list. I said before who shows what games are decided on a rotational basis that includes ESPN, Fox and Pac-12. These are determined on 12 and 6 day windows.

I don't have enough posts here, so I can't link the url, but if you want an accurate schedule provided by Fox, go here: msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/schedule?weekNum=1&stable=I-A

Fox is not getting all the games you claim. Not even close. Some of those games will go to the ESPN networks, and some will go to the the Pac-12 Network. The Pac-12 wanted its share of top billing games to make their schedule attractive to providers. Your info is as misleading as Directv's.

#1662 OFFLINE   samuraiduck

samuraiduck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

http://www.lsufootba.../tvschedule.htm

Wrong. See the word "tenative" by those games?

#1663 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Wrong. See the word "tenative" by those games?

So this article is wrong? http://www.pacificta...on-utah-wsu-osu
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1664 OFFLINE   samuraiduck

samuraiduck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:55 AM

That's good - the important games will be on Fox. Here's the Pac12 games on Fox:

Hawaii at USC (Pac 12)
Nebraska at UCLA (Pac 12)
USC at Stanford (Pac 12)
UCLA at Cal (Pac 12)
USC at Washington (Pac 12)
Stanford at Cal (Pac 12)
Oregon at USC (Pac 12)
Oregon at Cal (Pac 12)
Stanford at Oregon (Pac 12)
Washington at Washington State (Pac 12)
Oregon at Oregon State (Pac 12)
Pac 12 Football Championship Game

PDF: http://media.cmgdigi...XI_Schedule.pdf

Yay. I can finally link. Like I said, you posted a Fox wish list. Those games after the first three weeks won't be decided until the 12 and 6 day windows occur. Here is the accurate list provided by Fox:

http://msn.foxsports...um=1&stable=I-A

So, no. Fox will not be showing all the important games.

I'm not going to miss the games you listed. I'll be one that walks if it comes to that. The game is more important to me than the provider. But, that's just me. Many or most probably won't feel that way.

#1665 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:59 AM

Yay. I can finally link. Like I said, you posted a Fox wish list. Those games after the first three weeks won't be decided until the 12 and 6 day windows occur. Here is the accurate list provided by Fox:

http://msn.foxsports...um=1&stable=I-A

So, no. Fox will not be showing all the important games.

I'm not going to miss the games you listed. I'll be one that walks if it comes to that. The game is more important to me than the provider. But, that's just me. Many or most probably won't feel that way.

Why would an affiliate have a "wish list?" I guess we'll see what's right in a few weeks.

#1666 OFFLINE   samuraiduck

samuraiduck

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Yes, it is wrong. That Reno affiliate is using the same "subject to change" wish list you provided earlier. Wait. Its on the internet, its gotta be true, huh?

#1667 OFFLINE   Fog627

Fog627

Legend

• Registered
  • 148 posts

Quoting a blog that is quoting a "leaked" document may not be the strongest argument...

#1668 OFFLINE   reason43

reason43

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

So the number is 3 and counting. The number for games available on the PAC-12 Networks but not shown by Directv will be 5 by the end of the day. And here I sit in the middle of PAC-12 country and I have access to 4 games on the BTN today. There is something wrong with this picture.

#1669 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,269 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

I want to reiterate that I'm not anti-Pac12 (I love Arizona - grew up there) or the channel...I want the channel. I also apologize if I come across being rude; I don't mean to be and emotions are hard to read on the net.

#1670 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,959 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

I am shocked by the lack of respect I found here.

As you all have been warned, rude posts have been deleted and this thread is closed.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#1671 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,959 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Also, please do not strt a new thread on this topic until there is actual news.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...