Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Satellite Heater

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:19 PM

I know it is the 19th of May and Spring has barely begun, but I just had my Directv Satellite System installed about two weeks ago. My Satellite Dish is about 18 feet in the air on top of the roof, so I do not want to go up there if I do have to to brush off snow. I live in NW Pennsylvania near Lake Erie and we get on Average between 8-10 feet of snow during the winter months.

1) can you recommend a good manufacturer.
2) can you reccomend a good supplier
3) is it a self install, or should a professional do it

I have a Slimline-35 (SWM) Satellite Dish

Thank You for your help..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:40 PM

I know it is the 19th of May and Spring has barely begun, but I just had my Directv Satellite System installed about two weeks ago. My Satellite Dish is about 18 feet in the air on top of the roof, so I do not want to go up there if I do have to to brush off snow. I live in NW Pennsylvania near Lake Erie and we get on Average between 8-10 feet of snow during the winter months.

1) can you recommend a good manufacturer.
2) can you reccomend a good supplier
3) is it a self install, or should a professional do it

I have a Slimline-35 (SWM) Satellite Dish

Thank You for your help..

I'm not the best resource for this, since my area hasn't seen snow for 10+ years, but I hear good things about the hotshot heater.

#3 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:45 PM

I am going on 3 years with the Hotshot near Denver and I have yet to lose signal due to snow!

#4 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

We put hotshots on the reflectors of our commercial properties in the northeast and dont have any issues

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:44 PM

I live in NY where we get a lot of snow, and only once in the 9 years we've been here has snow on the dish caused a loss of signal (for about 4 hours, until the sun came out). You may want to give it a winter to see if you even need one. And if snow is an issue, a SuperSoaker filled with warm water will likely do the trick.

Edited by hilmar2k, 21 May 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#6 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

I just might give that a try.. I dont know..I do not want to climb onto the roof to brush off if I do not have too, or climb up to install either.. I will give it a shot..wait and see..Otherwise I am very happy so far with my serrvice and set-up.

#7 OFFLINE   pjschwartz

pjschwartz

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

I've had an Ice Zapper in services since 2008. It basically uses the same technology as as those self adhesive oil pan heaters used for automobile engines.

I have only had to plug it in three times, but each time, it quickly shed ice / wet snow from my dish.

I like product because it attaches to the backside of the dish reflector and has no impact on the signal.

#8 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 179 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

Giving my +1 on the Hotshot. I have one on my dish at home and purchased one for my Dad's and neither of us have had any issues with snow, ice or sleet buildup on the dish since doing so. They can be left plugged in year round as the power supply has an on/off switch. The unit also won't start heating the dish until the temp drops to 32F or below via built-in thermostat.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#9 OFFLINE   Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

I live in NY where we get a lot of snow, and only once in the 9 years we've been here has snow on the dish caused a loss of signal (for about 4 hours, until the sun came out). You may want to give it a winter to see if you even need one. And if snow is an issue, a SuperSoaker filled with warm water will likely do the trick.

And will create a nice layer of ice after the water cools and freezes again... :rolleyes:
Opinions expressed by me in my postings are exactly that, opinions.
My opinions in no way reflect those of any company or service.

#10 OFFLINE   unixguru

unixguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 579 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've had an Ice Zapper in services since 2008. It basically uses the same technology as as those self adhesive oil pan heaters used for automobile engines.

I have only had to plug it in three times, but each time, it quickly shed ice / wet snow from my dish.

I like product because it attaches to the backside of the dish reflector and has no impact on the signal.

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...