Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded Dish Question

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Harsh - in your configuration, how would I pass the signal on to any other receivers if I added them? Probably simple, but I don't understand how it would work?

Replace Splitter 1 with a larger approved splitter.

I wouldn't recommend that you do this until you get to the point of adding more receivers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

If I might make a suggestion here; do not get too far ahead of yourself on this. D*'s technology is changing all the time and what makes sense today may not be valid two or three years in the future.

You would be probably be safe running RG6 to each of the rooms you have in mind, but I would not connect them to anything right now. Just leave them looped at your central point. You can make the final connections when (and if) your really need them. (For cosmetic purposes you could terminate the room locations with blue-barrel connector face-plates and just leave them unconnected.)

Since you seem to be doing a lot of wiring, I would add a CAT5 (CAT6) line from your router location to whatever room you consider to be your main TV room. The HR34's, for example, come with a built-in CCK and it appears that using this injection point is the least problematic for on-demand services. So if you were to add an HR34 in the future you would be advised to use this for your CCK attach point.

Just some thoughts on how I would do it if it were me.

#23 OFFLINE   BigSteve63

BigSteve63

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Since you seem to be doing a lot of wiring, I would add a CAT5 (CAT6) line from your router location to whatever room you consider to be your main TV room. The HR34's, for example, come with a built-in CCK and it appears that using this injection point is the least problematic for on-demand services. So if you were to add an HR34 in the future you would be advised to use this for your CCK attach point.

Just some thoughts on how I would do it if it were me.

We have lived in this house for quite a while and are in the process of finishing a basement - I decided to make sure that I have any and all wiring in place as I go about completing the walls. Since I have easy access, I went ahead and pulled wiring to locations on the first floor as well; multiple drops of RG6 and CAT5. All of the CAT5 drops run to a 24 port switch in the mech room. Wanting to do something similar for the RG6 - I will never have all the rooms supported with DTV, just wanted to make sure that I could add where needed. Honestly, I really just want to have my local antenna feed go to most of the rooms, but want to be able to put a receiver in there if I want to. DTV now has our locals, but we receive more using the OA antenna. This is why I wanted to try and assemble a patch panel; I would like to be able to "plug and play" each room from central location.

Can anyone recommend a multiple output amplifier for local antenna use? Other than the 2 TVs with DTV, we currently have 3 others that get watched on locals a lot. Would like to be able to add TVs to our new guest rooms when they are complete.

#24 OFFLINE   bigglebowski

bigglebowski

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

Can anyone recommend a multiple output amplifier for local antenna use? Other than the 2 TVs with DTV, we currently have 3 others that get watched on locals a lot. Would like to be able to add TVs to our new guest rooms when they are complete.

Any amplifier with the range of frequencies up to the top of UHF band (900 mhz) will work. Most amps are designed to be one line in, one line out and you would use splitters to hook up all the drops. Its the number of splitters and coax lengths that will determine how much gain you need the amp to deliver.

There are some amps that are 1 in with 8 outputs these usually only have enough gain to compensate for the splitting but should be ideal in your case. Now if you needed to hook up more than 8 lines then you get a single amp and then hookup the splitters accordingly.

One problem you may have is if you have an antenna picking up 10 different stations some are going to be much stronger than others since an antenna is usually directional. So some signals will be stronger than others and may not need to be amped at all. In the analog days and digital today too much signal can be worse than too little. So amping a signal thats way too strong or way too weak is bad.

My suggestion is to try with splitters without the amp and see what you get. If a channel is poor, try bypassing the splitter and feed directly to the TV and see if ok. If yes than a small amp will be needed. If no good than an amp wont likely help.

Solid signal has a handful of different amps to choose from. If all you have are 3 tvs to hookup an amp should not be necessary. Get a 3way or 4way splitter and be done with it.

#25 OFFLINE   dielray

dielray

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 234 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Sorry guys - couple of more questions before I quit for the night:

dielray - I have attached what I understand your suggestion to be, does this look correct to you?

Harsh - in your configuration, how would I pass the signal on to any other receivers if I added them? Probably simple, but I don't understand how it would work?

Thanks - will be checking back tomorrow evening. Have a great night!

Sorry for the late reply, but that was what I was suggesting. You mention running lines everywhere, and I thought I should mention 2 lines to each location would allow you to have OTA and DirecTV at the same time.
DirecTV Technician
My thoughts and opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of DirecTV, my HSP, or anyone else.

#26 OFFLINE   BigSteve63

BigSteve63

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thank you all for your assistance! I did not get much done, as the boss decided we needed to pressure wash the deck to get ready for re-staining... When in doubt, make the wife happy! :D

Due to a hectic schedule this week, I will probably not get started until Friday evening - will let you all know how it goes!

spam firewall