Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Currently, there is no way to modify an existing ARSL...you must delete it and create a new one. If you change the search language, ie, create a new one, the shows recorded by the new search will be under a new entry in your recorded programs listing. I might recommend you try "MASH TTITLE" as the ARSL instead. There is no reason to use AALL when you are using a single word and it might eliminate some of the other recordings that match.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

So far I know of no way to keep the units from searching both the Series and Episode TTITLE - I have both a 23 and 24 DVR.

If anyone else has, please share!

#28 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Anyone know offhand how the CCHANS handles -1 stations? If I want a search to record 663 and 664-1, can I setup CCHANS 663 664 or would I need to setup CCHANS 663 665?

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Anyone know offhand how the CCHANS handles -1 stations? If I want a search to record 663 and 664-1, can I setup CCHANS 663 664 or would I need to setup CCHANS 663 665?

I just tried searching for csi CCHANS 2-1 here in NY, and got no matches. csi CCHANS 2 found episodes on both 2 and 2-1, but I'm not sure how to force the HR to record the OTA channel over the SAT HD channel, if that's what you'll want to do.

Finally, csi CCHANS 2 3 also found the same results, shows on both 2 and 2-1.

Edited by Steve, 31 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

/steve

#30 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm looking to create auto record for sports on the main channel and part time alternate channel. I figure the HDTV would force it to avoid the SD channel 664. Reason I hoped to avoid 665 is to not get recordings on the next channel up from a different market that I don't get.

In this example, get the Detroit channel but avoid the Chicago channel. That said, it would default to the lowest channel number, so 663, then 664 (avoided with HDTV tag), then 664-1, then 665 (which hopefully it never gets to).

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm looking to create auto record for sports on the main channel and part time alternate channel. I figure the HDTV would force it to avoid the SD channel 664. Reason I hoped to avoid 665 is to not get recordings on the next channel up from a different market that I don't get.

In this example, get the Detroit channel but avoid the Chicago channel. That said, it would default to the lowest channel number, so 663, then 664 (avoided with HDTV tag), then 664-1, then 665 (which hopefully it never gets to).

IIRC, even without HDTV, I believe if you have "hide SD dupes" enabled under "Settings, Display", the HD recording will always be preferred by AUTORECORD, if there's a choice of either. I haven't tested this in years, though, so who knows? :shrug:
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

You're right on the HDTV tag, I just am not sure how it handles the -1 situation if it would default to the lower channel (SD) feed without that tag.

I setup my boolean search using 663-665, if I get the occasional Chicago feed I'll just delete it.

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

You're right on the HDTV tag, I just am not sure how it handles the -1 situation if it would default to the lower channel (SD) feed without that tag.

I setup my boolean search using 663-665, if I get the occasional Chicago feed I'll just delete it.

IIRC, for whatever reason, AUTORECORD decisions sometimes don't show up in the To Do List until it's almost time to record them. Otherwise, it would be nice to be able to preview AUTORECORD decisions in the TDL, to make sure it does what you want. Maybe some day! :P
/steve

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Currently, ARSL's don't correctly identify the OTA channels even if you specify an OTA channel only like 10-1, it defaults and matches the HD sat version at 10 for me. Been broken for quite awhile now. It has been reported as a bug but don't know when it may be corrected.

#35 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm trying to set up a Boolean sports search according to the FAQ document. It recommends I use a the categories and sub-categories. Great, except I have to come up the the "&" symbol to do this. I can't find it on the keypad. I though it might be under the Dash but while there are other punctuation marks there, there's no ampersand.

Where is the ampersand?

I think my search for Wisconsin basketball games would need to be four:

AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 2 69 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 206 220 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 610 613 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 668 669 & Sports & Basketball

Does this look right? Any way I can set these four different channel ranges in one search? Do I even need to set these four different channel ranges? Could I go CCHANS 2 669?

Also, how would I limit this search to just mens college basketball games for the Wisconsin state school system?

Edited by Carl Spock, 13 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#36 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,489 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

You just put in "AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 2 69" and then once you do that the Categories will come up and you select Sports as a Category and then Basketball as a Sub-Category.

You do not have to enter Sports and Basketball in your Boolean Argument but you Select it after you have completed your Search Argument and it will Prompt you for those Categories and Sub-Categories.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,667 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Also, don't need AALL when the Boolean Search is just one word.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-700, Bsm: HR24-100, Den HR24-200, MB: HR24-500, Kit: H25-500
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm trying to set up a Boolean sports search according to the FAQ document. It recommends I use a the categories and sub-categories. Great, except I have to come up the the "&" symbol to do this. I can't find it on the keypad. I though it might be under the Dash but while there are other punctuation marks there, there's no ampersand.

Where is the ampersand?

Does this look right? Any way I can set these four different channel ranges in one search? Do I even need to set these four different channel ranges? Could I go CCHANS 2 669?

Also, how would I limit this search to just mens college basketball games for the Wisconsin state school system?

Carl, I wouldn't worry about channel numbers, if this works for you:

AALL wisconsin live NNOT womens & SPORTS, BASKETBALL

Tried it here, and it looks good. Like Rich said, '&' means go to the category screen. I like using 'live' for games.
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• Registered
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

EVENTS is not a search term? I assumed I need AALL because I'm searching WISCONSIN EVENTS.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I've got it. At least it looks right.

I'm figuring this out for a friend, the proverbial little old lady who's 80+ and scores every Wisconsin basketball game she can watch real time. She has dozens of binders on the shelf filled with the play by play of Wisconsin college basketball games from all the different state schools going back years. She's a kick.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

His search isn't just one word. Its two.

#41 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Where is the ampersand?

Try adding nnot womens right after events. Otherwise, looks good, and yeah, the & is as the next poster mentions. :)

#42 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

Tried it here, and it looks good. Like Rich said, '&' means go to the category screen. I like using 'live' for games.

Yeah' that will cause issues if its anything like UCLA. He will get all kinds of post game shows and such. And often times games are on other RSNs you don't get and screws it up to because cig doesn't work right and that can cause game search to not work 100% of the time, which is why I use cchans as modifiers.

#43 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

EVENTS is not a search term? I assumed I need AALL because I'm searching WISCONSIN EVENTS.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I've got it. At least it looks right.

I'm figuring this out for a friend, the proverbial little old lady who's 80+ and scores every Wisconsin basketball game she can watch real time. She has dozens of binders on the shelf filled with the play by play of Wisconsin college basketball games from all the different state schools going back years. She's a kick.

Events is a search term. ,the format you used has never failed me once. And I never use live. Always events. Live picks up pre and post game shows for me. Depends n how different channels code those shows, but they all code games as events, wether they are live or not.

#44 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Events is a search term. ,the format you used has never failed me once. And I never use live. Always events. Live picks up pre and post game shows for me. Depends n how different channels code those shows, but they all code games as events, wether they are live or not.

For some reason when I tried that Wisconsin search, "events" didn't work and "live" did. I may have entered a typo without realizing it.
/steve

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,307 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

For some reason when I tried that Wisconsin search, "events" didn't work and "live" did. I may have entered a typo without realizing it.

I won't tell you mad I was that I was missing lots of angles games at the start of the season one year, only to find I had spelled it wrong. ;)

#46 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I won't tell you mad I was that I was missing lots of angles games at the start of the season one year, only to find I had spelled it wrong. ;)

Like now!

!rolling
/steve

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Like now!

!rolling

The Angles are an LA pool and billiards team.....:lol:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 362 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Would it be WOMENS or WOMEN'S

I put an apostrophe when I set my NNOT as BTN shows lots of women's basketball.

#49 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

I believe punctuation like that is ignored..can you even get an apostrophe?

#50 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,844 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

I've found DirecTV search ignores punctuation, so "womens" finds "women's".
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...