Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:29 PM

Except on the HR34.

Yes, that will probably be a month or two before its back to 50. I hope it will be before football season starts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

The limit has been moved back to 50 characters.

I'll start redoing them then. As long as none of them were already 50 :lol:, I'll be golden. I wondered why all of sudden it seemed to be forgetting to respect the CCHAN modifier in my ARSL's. SInce almost every single one of mine on all 3 dvr's is written like that, I've got a lot of work to do. :eek2:

#23 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

Check out the NEW Advance/Boolean Searches document. There have been a couple of changes and additions you may want to check out!

http://hr20.dbstalk.... Search FAQ.pdf

Thanks again to the folks that help us keep these documents up to date.

Is there a new link to this document as it seems to be missing from the above URL?

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

Is there a new link to this document as it seems to be missing from the above URL?

Follow the link in my signature. It should less you there. And if you have any questions just ask here I'm the one who put it together. :)

#25 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

One big key thing of note is that they have changed the CCHAN to CCHANS so everyone basically needs to go through and change all their ARSLs that use that term...

Can you tell me how to modify an existing ARSL? I currently have the following search to record all episodes of MASH:
AALL MASH TTITLE

The above search also records shows that have the word mash in the episode. For example, 'Suite Life on Deck' has an episode named 'Sea Monster Mash' and that episode gets recorded under this search.
1. Can anyone suggest how I can modify the above search to eliminate recording exceptions like the one I listed?
2. Just as important, since the recordings from this search are listed under a Series Manager entry named "AALL MASH TTITLE", will modifying the search put future recordings under a separate Series Manager entry?

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

Currently, there is no way to modify an existing ARSL...you must delete it and create a new one. If you change the search language, ie, create a new one, the shows recorded by the new search will be under a new entry in your recorded programs listing. I might recommend you try "MASH TTITLE" as the ARSL instead. There is no reason to use AALL when you are using a single word and it might eliminate some of the other recordings that match.

#27 OFFLINE   GTS

GTS

Legend

• Registered
  • 220 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

So far I know of no way to keep the units from searching both the Series and Episode TTITLE - I have both a 23 and 24 DVR.

If anyone else has, please share!

#28 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:10 PM

Anyone know offhand how the CCHANS handles -1 stations? If I want a search to record 663 and 664-1, can I setup CCHANS 663 664 or would I need to setup CCHANS 663 665?

#29 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Anyone know offhand how the CCHANS handles -1 stations? If I want a search to record 663 and 664-1, can I setup CCHANS 663 664 or would I need to setup CCHANS 663 665?

I just tried searching for csi CCHANS 2-1 here in NY, and got no matches. csi CCHANS 2 found episodes on both 2 and 2-1, but I'm not sure how to force the HR to record the OTA channel over the SAT HD channel, if that's what you'll want to do.

Finally, csi CCHANS 2 3 also found the same results, shows on both 2 and 2-1.

Edited by Steve, 31 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

/steve

#30 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm looking to create auto record for sports on the main channel and part time alternate channel. I figure the HDTV would force it to avoid the SD channel 664. Reason I hoped to avoid 665 is to not get recordings on the next channel up from a different market that I don't get.

In this example, get the Detroit channel but avoid the Chicago channel. That said, it would default to the lowest channel number, so 663, then 664 (avoided with HDTV tag), then 664-1, then 665 (which hopefully it never gets to).

#31 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm looking to create auto record for sports on the main channel and part time alternate channel. I figure the HDTV would force it to avoid the SD channel 664. Reason I hoped to avoid 665 is to not get recordings on the next channel up from a different market that I don't get.

In this example, get the Detroit channel but avoid the Chicago channel. That said, it would default to the lowest channel number, so 663, then 664 (avoided with HDTV tag), then 664-1, then 665 (which hopefully it never gets to).

IIRC, even without HDTV, I believe if you have "hide SD dupes" enabled under "Settings, Display", the HD recording will always be preferred by AUTORECORD, if there's a choice of either. I haven't tested this in years, though, so who knows? :shrug:
/steve

#32 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

You're right on the HDTV tag, I just am not sure how it handles the -1 situation if it would default to the lower channel (SD) feed without that tag.

I setup my boolean search using 663-665, if I get the occasional Chicago feed I'll just delete it.

#33 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

You're right on the HDTV tag, I just am not sure how it handles the -1 situation if it would default to the lower channel (SD) feed without that tag.

I setup my boolean search using 663-665, if I get the occasional Chicago feed I'll just delete it.

IIRC, for whatever reason, AUTORECORD decisions sometimes don't show up in the To Do List until it's almost time to record them. Otherwise, it would be nice to be able to preview AUTORECORD decisions in the TDL, to make sure it does what you want. Maybe some day! :P
/steve

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:35 PM

Currently, ARSL's don't correctly identify the OTA channels even if you specify an OTA channel only like 10-1, it defaults and matches the HD sat version at 10 for me. Been broken for quite awhile now. It has been reported as a bug but don't know when it may be corrected.

#35 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm trying to set up a Boolean sports search according to the FAQ document. It recommends I use a the categories and sub-categories. Great, except I have to come up the the "&" symbol to do this. I can't find it on the keypad. I though it might be under the Dash but while there are other punctuation marks there, there's no ampersand.

Where is the ampersand?

I think my search for Wisconsin basketball games would need to be four:

AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 2 69 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 206 220 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 610 613 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 668 669 & Sports & Basketball

Does this look right? Any way I can set these four different channel ranges in one search? Do I even need to set these four different channel ranges? Could I go CCHANS 2 669?

Also, how would I limit this search to just mens college basketball games for the Wisconsin state school system?

Edited by Carl Spock, 13 January 2013 - 01:10 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#36 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,476 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

You just put in "AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 2 69" and then once you do that the Categories will come up and you select Sports as a Category and then Basketball as a Sub-Category.

You do not have to enter Sports and Basketball in your Boolean Argument but you Select it after you have completed your Search Argument and it will Prompt you for those Categories and Sub-Categories.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#37 ONLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,126 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Also, don't need AALL when the Boolean Search is just one word.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#38 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm trying to set up a Boolean sports search according to the FAQ document. It recommends I use a the categories and sub-categories. Great, except I have to come up the the "&" symbol to do this. I can't find it on the keypad. I though it might be under the Dash but while there are other punctuation marks there, there's no ampersand.

Where is the ampersand?

I think my search for Wisconsin basketball games would need to be four:

AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 2 69 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 206 220 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 610 613 & Sports & Basketball
AALL WISCONSIN EVENTS CCHANS 668 669 & Sports & Basketball

Does this look right? Any way I can set these four different channel ranges in one search? Do I even need to set these four different channel ranges? Could I go CCHANS 2 669?

Also, how would I limit this search to just mens college basketball games for the Wisconsin state school system?

Carl, I wouldn't worry about channel numbers, if this works for you:

AALL wisconsin live NNOT womens & SPORTS, BASKETBALL

Tried it here, and it looks good. Like Rich said, '&' means go to the category screen. I like using 'live' for games.
/steve

#39 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

EVENTS is not a search term? I assumed I need AALL because I'm searching WISCONSIN EVENTS.

Thanks for the help, guys. I think I've got it. At least it looks right.

I'm figuring this out for a friend, the proverbial little old lady who's 80+ and scores every Wisconsin basketball game she can watch real time. She has dozens of binders on the shelf filled with the play by play of Wisconsin college basketball games from all the different state schools going back years. She's a kick.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,869 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

His search isn't just one word. Its two.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...