Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:47 AM

Oh very interesting. So we are thinking that by adding the () we are stating that any words inside them must be present and be in that exact order and next to each other. This is an awsome find Steve!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Oh very interesting. So we are thinking that by adding the () we are stating that any words inside them must be present and be in that exact order and next to each other.

Ya. Looks like it's just like using quotes in a Google search, e.g. I'm thinking we can also AANY or NNOT an exact phrase with this as well. If I get a chance later today, I'll test that.

Unfortunately, every time you use it, tho, it reduced the 50 character limit by 2. I wonder if they couldn't have used a non-breaking space character instead, to join words that must appear in a certain order?
/steve

#63 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Nice Find Steve.

I bet Joe Six Pack will Never ever know that one exists for sure!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#64 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,920 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

On the Genie, I'm currently doing TORCHY BLANE CCHANS 254 256 to record the nine old B&W Torchy Blane movies that are being broadcast on Saturday. When you don't use AALL or AANY, multiple words are looked upon as an exact phase.

Please note, when THE is one of the words, as in THE SAINT, the results can vary. I have gotten successful finds, but no placement in the ToDo List.

Edited by Drucifer, 15 January 2013 - 03:30 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#65 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

On the Genie, I'm currently doing TORCHY BLANE CCHANS 254 256 to record the nine old B&W Torchy Blane movies that are being broadcast on Saturday. When you don't use AALL or AANY, multiple words are looked upon as an exact phase.

Please note, when THE is one of the words, as in THE SAINT, the results can vary. I have gotten successful finds, but no placement in the ToDo List.

Yes but the issue is he needed the exact phrase for Michigan state but he also needs vents in there to somewhere hence why this is an important find.

As for you not getting in the to do list. Did you wait and see if it recorded it? If not then you have incomplete information.

#66 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,740 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

If I want to set up a search for a certain channel do I enter CCHAN or CCHANS, with our without the S?

Thanks

#67 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

If I want to set up a search for a certain channel do I enter CCHAN or CCHANS, with our without the S?

Thanks

Always with the 's'...the modifier was changed to CCHANS somewhere along the way about 8 months ago or so.

#68 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Always with the 's'...the modifier was changed to CCHANS somewhere along the way about 8 months ago or so.

I just tried it both ways with a search string, and both ways found the same 3 programs, so apparently they left both in, for now anyway. Ill go with the S from now on though.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#69 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

I just tried it both ways with a search string, and both ways found the same 3 programs, so apparently they left both in, for now anyway. Ill go with the S from now on though.

You never know when the old way will disappear, so sticking to the new way with the s is definitely the way to go.

#70 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I have Old Boolean Search Arguments with the Old CCHAN and they work just fine so maybe that is why Directv Allows the Old CCHAN to work as well as the New Version CCHANS so that customers wouldn't lose out if they had forgot to change their old argument to the new one. :)
Here's My Setup

#71 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

CCHAN does work in current versions of the software but it's expected to go away soon.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#72 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

CCHAN does work in current versions of the software but it's expected to go away soon.

Well then I had better go Change my CCHAN to CCHANS. :D
Here's My Setup

#73 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Beats me why they needed to change it and steal another character away from the 50-limit. It's not like CCHAN is a word someone might search for. :scratchin
/steve

#74 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,933 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Well, at least we got the 50 character limit back.

#75 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Well, looks like phrases in ()'s don't work after a NNOT. :(

I just searched for AALL ohio live NNOT (ohio state), and I got a bunch of "Ohio State" matches.

AALL ohio live NNOT state womens worked as expected. Only Ohio mens games showed up in matches.

When I tried searching for AALL ohio live NNOT ohio state, which I expected to give me 0 results, I got about 100 matches. Based on the descriptions, none of those matches make any sense. Since terms after NNOT are "AANY'd" by default, that search is asking for all shows with "ohio" and "live" in their description that don't have either the words "ohio" or "state" in the description. The two "ohio's" should have canceled each other out, resulting in 0 matches. The only thing that was correct was the results did not include any Ohio State games. :scratchin
/steve

#76 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

AANY (ohio state) (michigan state) ucla works as expected. so ()'s work after AANY, and you can use multiples ()'s.
/steve

#77 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

AANY (AALL ohio state iowa) (michigan state) works as expected as well. It finds "Ohio State vs. Iowa" only, and only "Michigan State" games.
/steve

#78 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Will this work for MLBEI

AALL RED SOX EVENTS CCHANS 700 800 & Sports, Baseball

AALL YANKEES EVENTS CCHANS 700 800 & Sports, Baseball

And the same thing for Locals an ESPN.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#79 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,578 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Will this work for MLBEI

AALL RED SOX EVENTS CCHANS 700 800 & Sports, Baseball

AALL YANKEES EVENTS CCHANS 700 800 & Sports, Baseball

And the same thing for Locals an ESPN.

I don't have MLBEI, but looks good to me.

You could probably shorten it a bit, since Red Sox & Yankees are only baseball. "red sox" in the search below without AALL or AANY will only match the exact phrase:

red sox CCHANS 700 800 & Show Type, Events
/steve

#80 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Wouldnt it be prudent to have events or live also in there to catch the new games only unless you want anything and everything related to your sports teams?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...