Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

AALL (michigan state) events NNOT womens & SPORTS, BASKETBALL

Well, I set this up 10 days ago and a couple of things have transpired:

1. It correctly recorded two games last week, but also recorded the replay's of the game on the BTN, even though it's set to First Run Only.

2. It's scheduled to record the Illinois @ Michigan State game on January 31st, but it's not picking up the Michigan State @ Indiana game this Sunday or the Minnesota @ Michigan State game on 2/6.

Recording the repeats is no big deal, in fact it might be because I had already scheduled the original airings manually (before I set up the Bolean), but why would it only be recording one out of three of the upcoming games?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

[...] why would it only be recording one out of three of the upcoming games?

I think this may be an AUTORECORD issue and not a search issue. I remember a while back that Drew2k had similar issues with his autorecords not showing eligible shows in the GUIDE data in the TDL until the last minute, but I believe they all successfully recorded. If you're around to manually hit record, in case it doesn't find the game on Sunday, it would be interesting to see if the HR does schedule it "just in time", so to speak.
/steve

#83 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Wouldnt it be prudent to have events or live also in there to catch the new games only unless you want anything and everything related to your sports teams?

Absolutely. In my shortened search, "events" is selected from the category screen.

Since you can only make a single "one-click" category selection per keyword search, I figured using it for "baseball" wasn't necessary, given the team names, so why not use category for "events" instead, and save having to type 10 extra letters (AALL and events), since Smart Search character entry is so cumbersome.
/steve

#84 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think this may be an AUTORECORD issue and not a search issue. I remember a while back that Drew2k had similar issues with his autorecords not showing eligible shows in the GUIDE data in the TDL until the last minute, but I believe they all successfully recorded. If you're around to manually hit record, in case it doesn't find the game on Sunday, it would be interesting to see if the HR does schedule it "just in time", so to speak.

Well, I already scheduled the two missing recordings manually. It's odd that it was scheduled to record the middle game of the three though.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#85 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Well, I already scheduled the two missing recordings manually. It's odd that it was scheduled to record the middle game of the three though.

Ya. IIRC, with Drew's autorecord, there was no rhyme or reason to what got scheduled in advance and what didn't.
/steve

#86 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:35 PM

I find that setting these things up, if they are setup correctly, seem to catch all the eligible recordings, but dont always show in the to-do list very far in advance if at all, which is what I believe Steve is eluding to. Did I interpret your post correctly there Steve?

#87 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Thanks for the response. This boolean moron appreciates that. Go Sox.

Edited by samrs, 25 January 2013 - 10:16 PM.
;)

HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#88 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I find that setting these things up, if they are setup correctly, seem to catch all the eligible recordings, but dont always show in the to-do list very far in advance if at all, which is what I believe Steve is eluding to. Did I interpret your post correctly there Steve?

Yup. I haven't really relied on an AUTORECORD in the past year or so, tho, so I'm not sure if that's still the case.
/steve

#89 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,211 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Absolutely. In my shortened search, "events" is selected from the category screen.

Since you can only make a single "one-click" category selection per keyword search, I figured using it for "baseball" wasn't necessary, given the team names, so why not use category for "events" instead, and save having to type 10 extra letters (AALL and events), since Smart Search character entry is so cumbersome.

I always put events in the search because I like the categories to narrow down the sport myself. You have to have it one way or the other to avoid all the pre and post game and so on stuff though. As for team names, believe it or not, that doesn't work for the Lakers' and plenty of other teams. When I didn't put in basketball, it used to pick up certain fishing shows. I know weird right? Other team names are used by multiple sports. Ducks.. The NHL hockey team, or any number of the Oregon college sports teams?

I never use live in case a game is tape delayed, or isn't the top priority and that way it can get caught a little latter sometimes.

#90 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,503 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

I'm curious on the aabout term. Can it be used for year? For Example, a show that the original airdate is for another country, like Top Gear does not show up as new. They are not using generic descriptions for all old shows. Can we use something like ttitle top gear cchan 264 2013 aabout

#91 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

I'm curious on the aabout term. Can it be used for year? For Example, a show that the original airdate is for another country, like Top Gear does not show up as new. They are not using generic descriptions for all old shows. Can we use something like ttitle top gear cchan 264 2013 aabout

As you know, AABOUT limits the search to the description field. To be honest, I'm not sure when I'd use it, since I generally look for keywords no matter what field they're in, and use AANY, AALL or NNOT.

That said, I tried a few searches, to see if I could match just the "air date" year (the one in parentheses), but no luck. I could only match a year that was mentioned as part of the description. Like "This is a documentary about the 1978 Yankees."
/steve

#92 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Ok guys, what am I missing here? I'm trying to setup a SL for NASCAR Sprint Cup races only, no practice or qualifying. I've tried "AALL sprint cup NNOT practice qualifying" and it's coming up with nothing. I should at least be getting "Sprint Cup: The Sprint Unlimited" which airs 2/16 on FOX.

Any suggestions?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#93 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Ok guys, what am I missing here? I'm trying to setup a SL for NASCAR Sprint Cup races only, no practice or qualifying. I've tried "AALL sprint cup NNOT practice qualifying" and it's coming up with nothing. I should at least be getting "Sprint Cup: The Sprint Unlimited" which airs 2/16 on FOX.

Any suggestions?

Drop the AALL
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#94 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

Drop the AALL

While you don't need the AALL to match the exact phrase "sprint cup", that AALL doesn't impair that search, so it still should have worked, IMO.

Away, ATM, so I can't check, but I'm equally puzzled why RF's search couldn't find that episode, assuming none of his NNOT words are in the show info.

I wonder if "c-u-p-:" is somehow not a match for "c-u-p"? :scratchin

Maybe try just sprint NNOT practice qualifying, as a test?
/steve

#95 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Drop the AALL

Makes zero difference.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#96 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Maybe try just sprint NNOT practice qualifying, as a test?

Ok, that works. I just have to specify CCHANS though or I get races on FOX OTA secondary locals and not SAT primary locals.

I'm wondering if I can use "prac" and "qual" instead of practice and qualifying to get all the CCHANs in, I'm hitting the limit. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#97 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

You could try cup: by cycling through the special characters, assuming that would make a difference.
/steve

#98 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:06 PM

Makes zero difference.

If you want exact order, you remove AALL
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#99 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 03:21 PM

While you don't need the AALL to match the exact phrase "sprint cup", that AALL doesn't impair that search, so it still should have worked, IMO.. . . .

AALL makes the DVR do two searches instead of one.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once

#100 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

AALL makes the DVR do two searches instead of one.

You may know something about the underlying search algorithms I'm not privy to, but in a search for any single word or an exact phrase, putting AALL before it is redundant, in my experience. Either the single word or the exact phrase will be found in either case, except AALL-ing an exact phrase may come up with some additional matches.

E.g, in the search that worked for Runner above, AALL sprint NNOT practice qualifying should return the exact same results as sprint NNOT practice qualifying.

A search for james dean would only return a movie or show starring (or about) the actor James Dean. OTOH, a search for AALL james dean should not only find James Dean films, but also a movie or show with the following info: A biography of Harry James, the dean of trumpet players.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...