Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#126 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

To bad we cant extend record times more than 3 hours, you could set them to record all the pre game shows which are series and specific, but you cant extend long enough to grab the games. Odd they dont make sunday night football a series

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#127 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 382 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

On the mobile app and can't figure out how to search. I did a google search and a suggestion from 2007 post suggested an answer that no longer works. The question. - how do I do a category only search? For instance I want to do a show types -> season premiere. The 2007 http://www.dbstalk.c...ategory-search/ suggests pressing enter to start with a blank space to start a keyword search and then continue to category menu. For whatever reason I can't get a leading space to start a keyword search. There has to be a way to do a category only search doesn't there? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#128 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Trying to make a search for Carolina Hurricanes games on our local RSN.

I think that this will work fine:

AALL Hurricanes Events CCHANS 645-1

The issue is that each game is only on the guide for 2.5 hours. When I manually record, I pad by an hour in case the game goes to OT (or is just a slowly played game). I could record the postgame as well, but that runs for something like 6 hours.

Is there a way to pad a keyword search recording?

Thanks

#129 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Trying to make a search for Carolina Hurricanes games on our local RSN.

I think that this will work fine:

AALL Hurricanes Events CCHANS 645-1

The issue is that each game is only on the guide for 2.5 hours. When I manually record, I pad by an hour in case the game goes to OT (or is just a slowly played game). I could record the postgame as well, but that runs for something like 6 hours.

Is there a way to pad a keyword search recording?

Thanks

N/m. Once I put this in, I realized that you can set a pad just like a normal recording.

#130 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

You can get rid if the dash 1 by the way. Id also add the filters in the latter screen of sports and hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#131 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

A bit of reviving this old thread for some suggestions, please.

I've set some Boolean search/timers for boxing the seem to work, but are giving me more than I bargained for and I'm not sure how to restrict.

Currently I use this :  ALL BOXING CCHANS 500 600

That gets me all kinds of boxing, but it also gets me all kinds of other shows that are not boxing, or are just about boxing.  I actually have a few that are that way with different channel ranges.

I would like to restrict to english only and not get kickboxing.

Any suggestions on how to frame it?

Lloyd
Receiver/Provider: Tivo Roamio Plus/Mediacom
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#132 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

A bit of reviving this old thread for some suggestions, please.

I've set some Boolean search/timers for boxing the seem to work, but are giving me more than I bargained for and I'm not sure how to restrict.

Currently I use this :  ALL BOXING CCHANS 500 600

That gets me all kinds of boxing, but it also gets me all kinds of other shows that are not boxing, or are just about boxing.  I actually have a few that are that way with different channel ranges.

I would like to restrict to english only and not get kickboxing.

Any suggestions on how to frame it?

Lloyd, you mean A-A-L-L, not ALL, right? I'd try either:

AALL boxing sports NNOT boxeo box kickboxing CCHANS 500 600

or less typing

boxing NNOT boxeo box kickboxing CCHANS 500 600 and on the next screen sports, boxing

/steve

#133 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I forgot the finger jitter on the first letter!!  :)

I'll give them a whirl.

Thanks.

Lloyd

#134 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

If you want only live you could replace the first boxing for events in Steve's second example.

#135 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

ok, thanks.

Lloyd

#136 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

If you want only live you could replace the first boxing for events in Steve's second example.

Clever, Jeff! So just to clarify:

events NNOT box boxeo kickboxing CCHANS 500 600 & Sports, Boxing

/steve

#137 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

OK guys, thanks a bunch for the help.  Got all my boxing (and MORE!!) just fine.

My son is an avid UFC/MMA fight fan and I'd like to set up a timer to get all of them recorded.  But searching in various ways for UFC and such produces darned little results in just standard smart search.  Everything I've tried with boolean searches produces even worse results.

I mean, come on!  A simple Smart Search for 'UFC' should produce a plethora of shows yet it doesn't.  So what's the trick??

EDIT:

Aha!!  Got it!

UFC AALL NNOT PPV & ALL

For some reason UFC is not a 'sport' for most of the shows.  Who wudda thunk it?  :)

Lloyd

#138 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

OK guys, thanks a bunch for the help.  Got all my boxing (and MORE!!) just fine.

My son is an avid UFC/MMA fight fan and I'd like to set up a timer to get all of them recorded.  But searching in various ways for UFC and such produces darned little results in just standard smart search.  Everything I've tried with boolean searches produces even worse results.

I mean, come on!  A simple Smart Search for 'UFC' should produce a plethora of shows yet it doesn't.  So what's the trick??

EDIT:

Aha!!  Got it!

UFC AALL NNOT PPV & ALL

For some reason UFC is not a 'sport' for most of the shows.  Who wudda thunk it?   :)

Ya. Unfortunately, the searches are only as good as the guide data.

RE: your search above, you shouldn't need that AALL. ufc NNOT PPV & All should work OK.

AALL should be used in front of multiple words. all that must be present in the results. So, e.g., if you only wanted to see UFC events featuring the fighter Rockhold, you would say AALL ufc rockhold NNOT PPV & All. That would only match shows where both UFC and Rockhold appeared in the guide data.

/steve

#139 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

OK.  Thanks, I'm still getting a feel for how this all works.

This is very powerful!!

Lloyd

#140 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

OK.  Thanks, I'm still getting a feel for how this all works.

This is very powerful!!

In case you or other may have missed it, there's a helpful document on advanced searching here.

/steve

#141 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,673 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Thanks.  I've got that printed out which is what allowed me to get started with Boolean searches.

Lloyd

#142 OFFLINE   thebigeazy

thebigeazy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Louisiana

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

Will these advanced/boolean searches work when searching Youtube?

#143 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,806 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Will these advanced/boolean searches work when searching Youtube?

No

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#144 OFFLINE   MarkE

MarkE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'm way late to the party, but I just recently started using the Advanced Search functionality to clean up & consolidate Series Manager entries on my HR24's. This thread and the FAQ document have been a huge help, and I appreciate the digging you guys have done to figure this stuff out.

Last Fall my wife got hooked on the USA Network series White Collar, and has been recording & viewing old episodes like crazy.  They're shown on several different DirecTV channels, and I found a bunch of Series Manager entries where she'd done a Record Series for the show on different channels.  I figured it would be really easy to replace all of them with a single Search entry that would record White Collar when it played on any channel, right?  Wrong!!!

The problem I ran into is that I couldn't find a way to do a search where the Title is exactly "White Collar", with no other words in the title.  I didn't see a way to do it documented in the FAQ and I didn't find anything in the various Forum threads either.  My issue is that there's a Boxing series called White Collar Brawlers, and searches like "AALL WHITE COLLAR TTITLE & Show Type, Series" would pick up both series.  I tried various approaches like putting WHITE COLLAR in parentheses, etc. but I couldn't find a way to do a search that only picked up entries where the title was just WHITE COLLAR. 

If the way to do this is obvious to everyone but me, then I apologize for wasting your time with this post.  I wound up solving the problem by doing the search as "AALL WHITE COLLAR TTITLE NNOT BRAWLERS & Show Type, Series", but I figured it's only a matter of time before another show comes along with a title that'll slip through.  I've worked as a software developer for 30+ years, and it bugged the hell out of me that DirecTV would write a search capability that doesn't provide for something as basic as selecting only entries that exactly match a value! 

I just went back and messed with it again, and discovered that it's as easy as enclosing WHITE COLLAR in single quotes!  A search for 'WHITE COLLAR' TTITLE does exactly what I want - duh!  I hadn't tried it because I knew that the search logic ignores single quotes in searches like AALL LIVE FROM DARYL'S HOUSE TTITLE.  A search of AALL LIVE FROM DARYLS HOUSE TTITLE returns the same results.  I don't think this is mentioned in the FAQ document but I read posts about it and found it to be true in my past searches.  It turns out that they're not ignored if a pair of them is used to enclose a value.

Is my single quote approach the best solution to doing exact matches, or is there a better way?  Should the use of single quotes be documented in the FAQ?

#145 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Is my single quote approach the best solution to doing exact matches, or is there a better way? Should the use of single quotes be documented in the FAQ?

A sequence of words not preceded by AALL or AANY will only be matched if they appear in that exact order. So white collar TTITLE NNOT brawlers should work. I no longer have a DIRECTV box to test the use of single quotes vs. NNOT, but you may be on to something.

Matching an exact string is explained at the bottom of page 3 of the FAQs. Maybe it should be moved up higher?
/steve

#146 OFFLINE   MarkE

MarkE

• Registered
  • 2 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:53 PM

A search for white collar TTITLE NNOT brawlers does meet my need - for today.  The problem is that if a new program gets added to the guide next week called white collar laundry or ironing a white collar, or anything else before or after white collar, it would match and be recorded.  It's an ongoing maintenance hassle to keep the search working as intended.  From my testing, 'white collar' TTITLE appears to only select programs where the entire title is "White Collar".  I don't need to use the NNOT clause to exclude "White Collar Brawlers".  Using an analogy of searching for a file on a computer, it's the difference between searching for xyz.txt and *xyz*.txt.

Both my DVR's are HR24's, so I can't say whether the single quote approach works on other boxes.

#147 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

Do you have a genie? They have added the ability to record a series from all channels. If not the " is a great find. Also nnot probably will survive because I doubt there's going to be to many white collar titles coming up. You might also try changing it from show type series to get down to drama or whatever category it has listed in its info.

#148 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,803 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Do you have a genie? They have added the ability to record a series from all channels. If not the " is a great find.

Agree. If MarkE's use of single quotes does indeed limit an exact phrase match to just the words inside the quotes, it probably should be documented. Wish I could try it, but I'm not a DIRECTV customer ATM.

/steve

#149 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:52 PM

Hello old thread!

There was a while where boolean searches were causing some issues for folks with HR-24's super slow response time and the like (back in 2013).

I ended up having to remove my search, which was the only one I had for red sox on NESN.

I believe the CCHANS is the only thing that has changed in the last while - so just hoping someone can confirm that this is all I need to get the sox on nesn:

AALL red sox events CCHAN 628 & Sports, Baseball

I think that's all there is to it, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything. To do list is empty, but I understand it sometimes take a while (up to a day) to start seeing anything in the to do.

thanks to anyone still subbed to this thread ;)

#150 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 17,664 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:23 PM

Yeah, change that CCHAN to CCHANS and you are all set.  DO you have a genie?  Because the new sports search and recordings work great.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...