Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

I didn't see this asked (or didn't find it when I searched) but is there an easy way to setup a search to find Sunday Night, Monday Night, & Thursday night NFL games?  I'm presuming I can't easily catch all three nights into one search.

This search should work:

night football TTITLE

It will only match shows which have the exact phrase "night football" in the title, so it should match Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Hall Of Flame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,767 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

Sweet solution! Why am I thinking about that poker game, night baseball???

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#123 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

This search should work:

night football TTITLE

It will only match shows which have the exact phrase "night football" in the title, so it should match Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football and Thursday Night Football.

Thanks.  A little confused. I love the solution but I don't see how this would work.   For example, look at Sunday's NBC night game.  You can view http://www.directv.com/guide if you wish.   Looking at the guide all I see is Giants @ Cowboys : New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys.   Isn't that considered the title?  No where in the guide do I a see 'Night Football'.   Same goes for the Monday night games.   

#124 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

Thanks.  A little confused. I love the solution but I don't see how this would work.   For example, look at Sunday's NBC night game.  You can view http://www.directv.com/guide if you wish.   Looking at the guide all I see is Giants @ Cowboys : New York Giants at Dallas Cowboys.   Isn't that considered the title?  No where in the guide do I a see 'Night Football'.   Same goes for the Monday night games.   

You're absolutely right. I made a bad assumption about how the games would be titled in the GUIDE.

If NBC will be carrying all the Thursday night and Sunday night games, this search should get those games. (Here in NY, NBC is channel "4".)

AALL football events CCHANS 4

For the Monday night game on ESPN, I'd try:

AALL football events CCHANS 206

My only fear is picking up a college game as well. Unfortunately, "college" is not in the game descriptors, so adding NNOT college to the search won't help.

/steve

#125 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

You're absolutely right. I made a bad assumption about how the games would be titled in the GUIDE.

If NBC will be carrying all the Thursday night and Sunday night games, this search should get those games. (Here in NY, NBC is channel "4".)

AALL football events CCHANS 4

For the Monday night game on ESPN, I'd try:

AALL football events CCHANS 206

My only fear is picking up a college game as well. Unfortunately, "college" is not in the game descriptors, so adding NNOT college to the search won't help.

Yes I noticed that as well.   Doesn't appear either NFL games or College games can be easily differentiated from within the guide.  Looks like manual recording is the way to go.

#126 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

To bad we cant extend record times more than 3 hours, you could set them to record all the pre game shows which are series and specific, but you cant extend long enough to grab the games. Odd they dont make sunday night football a series

#127 OFFLINE   markman07

markman07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

On the mobile app and can't figure out how to search. I did a google search and a suggestion from 2007 post suggested an answer that no longer works. The question. - how do I do a category only search? For instance I want to do a show types -> season premiere. The 2007 http://www.dbstalk.c...ategory-search/ suggests pressing enter to start with a blank space to start a keyword search and then continue to category menu. For whatever reason I can't get a leading space to start a keyword search. There has to be a way to do a category only search doesn't there? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#128 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:56 AM

Trying to make a search for Carolina Hurricanes games on our local RSN.

I think that this will work fine:

AALL Hurricanes Events CCHANS 645-1

The issue is that each game is only on the guide for 2.5 hours. When I manually record, I pad by an hour in case the game goes to OT (or is just a slowly played game). I could record the postgame as well, but that runs for something like 6 hours.

Is there a way to pad a keyword search recording?

Thanks

#129 OFFLINE   darman

darman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 07:52 AM

Trying to make a search for Carolina Hurricanes games on our local RSN.

I think that this will work fine:

AALL Hurricanes Events CCHANS 645-1

The issue is that each game is only on the guide for 2.5 hours. When I manually record, I pad by an hour in case the game goes to OT (or is just a slowly played game). I could record the postgame as well, but that runs for something like 6 hours.

Is there a way to pad a keyword search recording?

Thanks

N/m. Once I put this in, I realized that you can set a pad just like a normal recording.

#130 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

You can get rid if the dash 1 by the way. Id also add the filters in the latter screen of sports and hockey.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

#131 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

A bit of reviving this old thread for some suggestions, please.

I've set some Boolean search/timers for boxing the seem to work, but are giving me more than I bargained for and I'm not sure how to restrict.

Currently I use this :  ALL BOXING CCHANS 500 600

That gets me all kinds of boxing, but it also gets me all kinds of other shows that are not boxing, or are just about boxing.  I actually have a few that are that way with different channel ranges.

I would like to restrict to english only and not get kickboxing.

Any suggestions on how to frame it?

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#132 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

A bit of reviving this old thread for some suggestions, please.

I've set some Boolean search/timers for boxing the seem to work, but are giving me more than I bargained for and I'm not sure how to restrict.

Currently I use this :  ALL BOXING CCHANS 500 600

That gets me all kinds of boxing, but it also gets me all kinds of other shows that are not boxing, or are just about boxing.  I actually have a few that are that way with different channel ranges.

I would like to restrict to english only and not get kickboxing.

Any suggestions on how to frame it?

Lloyd, you mean A-A-L-L, not ALL, right? I'd try either:

AALL boxing sports NNOT boxeo box kickboxing CCHANS 500 600

or less typing

boxing NNOT boxeo box kickboxing CCHANS 500 600 and on the next screen sports, boxing

/steve

#133 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant.  I forgot the finger jitter on the first letter!!  :)

I'll give them a whirl.

Thanks.

Lloyd

#134 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:53 PM

If you want only live you could replace the first boxing for events in Steve's second example.

#135 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

ok, thanks.

Lloyd

#136 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

If you want only live you could replace the first boxing for events in Steve's second example.

Clever, Jeff! So just to clarify:

events NNOT box boxeo kickboxing CCHANS 500 600 & Sports, Boxing

/steve

#137 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:01 AM

OK guys, thanks a bunch for the help.  Got all my boxing (and MORE!!) just fine.

My son is an avid UFC/MMA fight fan and I'd like to set up a timer to get all of them recorded.  But searching in various ways for UFC and such produces darned little results in just standard smart search.  Everything I've tried with boolean searches produces even worse results.

I mean, come on!  A simple Smart Search for 'UFC' should produce a plethora of shows yet it doesn't.  So what's the trick??

EDIT:

Aha!!  Got it!

UFC AALL NNOT PPV & ALL

For some reason UFC is not a 'sport' for most of the shows.  Who wudda thunk it?  :)

Lloyd

#138 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

OK guys, thanks a bunch for the help.  Got all my boxing (and MORE!!) just fine.

My son is an avid UFC/MMA fight fan and I'd like to set up a timer to get all of them recorded.  But searching in various ways for UFC and such produces darned little results in just standard smart search.  Everything I've tried with boolean searches produces even worse results.

I mean, come on!  A simple Smart Search for 'UFC' should produce a plethora of shows yet it doesn't.  So what's the trick??

EDIT:

Aha!!  Got it!

UFC AALL NNOT PPV & ALL

For some reason UFC is not a 'sport' for most of the shows.  Who wudda thunk it?   :)

Ya. Unfortunately, the searches are only as good as the guide data.

RE: your search above, you shouldn't need that AALL. ufc NNOT PPV & All should work OK.

AALL should be used in front of multiple words. all that must be present in the results. So, e.g., if you only wanted to see UFC events featuring the fighter Rockhold, you would say AALL ufc rockhold NNOT PPV & All. That would only match shows where both UFC and Rockhold appeared in the guide data.

/steve

#139 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,221 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

OK.  Thanks, I'm still getting a feel for how this all works.

This is very powerful!!

Lloyd

#140 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

OK.  Thanks, I'm still getting a feel for how this all works.

This is very powerful!!

In case you or other may have missed it, there's a helpful document on advanced searching here.

/steve

spam firewall