Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Advanced/Boolean Searches FAQ Discussion

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#151 OFFLINE   dravenstone

dravenstone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:58 PM

Yeah, change that CCHAN to CCHANS and you are all set.  DO you have a genie?  Because the new sports search and recordings work great.

Ah, yeah. Like how I called that out and then didn't write it? Ugh. I actually did remember to do it when I put the search in. 

HR-24's here, no genie. I like to make sure it records the NESN feed so I need to use the CCHANS to make sure it grabs that one instead of the broadcast from whomever they are playing.

Thanks for confirming that this is correct (absent the typo of course).

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:35 AM

I had a feeling that is what happened, but wanted to make sure! ;). Glad you got it all set!

#153 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

Search and AutoRecord is recording (or trying to record with non-decrypted info) Spanish Channels not subscribed to.

Serious flaw.

#154 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:48 AM

Use CCHANS to get around that...

Is it sports or something else?

And does the channel show as greyed out or is it another messed up CIG issue?

Edited by inkahauts, 05 April 2015 - 01:49 AM.

#155 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:06 AM

Use CCHANS to get around that...

Is it sports or something else?

And does the channel show as greyed out or is it another messed up CIG issue?

I should not have to use CCHANS to define Channels I do not subscribe to.

It is greyed out......and I don't get it.

449 - CNSONY CINE-SONY

I do not sub to any Spanish Packages......and do not want this.

Yet if you use an actor or actress name for AUTORECORD, if they have lip synced it into Spanish on this channel, you get it whether you subbed or not....

Tying up a tuner - and also filling up the hard drive with bits that cannot be decoded and shown.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 05 April 2015 - 02:07 AM.

#156 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:39 AM

Yeah, I hate that dang channel.  I totally agree with you, I just was pointing out a workaround.

But there are some Spanish channels you do get that could get caught too, so cchans is a good workaround for that as well.

Frankly, I wish there was an option to ignore all non English channels, kind of like there is to hide all sd versions of hd channels, or the adult stuff.

Edited by inkahauts, 05 April 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#157 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,154 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, I hate that dang channel.  I totally agree with you, I just was pointing out a workaround.

But there are some Spanish channels you do get that could get caught too, so cchans is a good workaround for that as well.

Frankly, I wish there was an option to ignore all non English channels, kind of like there is to hide all sd versions of hd channels, or the adult stuff.

I think they could make the search just search the Favorites List you are using and that would eliminate most, if not all of the stuff you do not want to see in the results. I get over 200 channels but I only have 82 in my largest Favorite. My second favorite list only has 8 channels in it.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#158 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

I agree. Although it could cause issues for sports events.

#159 OFFLINE   Billd300

Billd300

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

i am a Cincinnati Reds fan and cannot figure out how to record the HD channel for their games.  They are on channel 661 in SD and 661-1 in HD the games show up in the guide on 661 first then closer to game day on 661-1.  It always uses 661 not 661-1.  Any help would be appreciated

#160 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:38 PM

Try...

AALL REDS EVENTS BASEBALL CCHANS 661 & High Def & All

By the way, you did leave it a;one and it did record the sd game instead of the hd one right?  If you messed with it, Id leave it alone and see if it actually records the sd game over the hd game at least once.

Edited by inkahauts, 05 April 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#161 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 11:20 AM

I have searched but been unable to find two things.

1.  Will NNOT CCHANS 214 exclude anything on channel 214?   If not, is there a way to exclude a channel rather than to select a channel.

2.  Can you use part of a word.  For example, for many races I just want to see the race so I have used NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING, which does work.  However, it makes for a long string and I would prefer NNOT PRAC QUAL.

I have also tried TOURING TTITLE NNOT AUST PRAC QUAL CCHANS 214

It is not clear these work, but I may be doing something wrong.   As you can see the problem is the 50 char limit vs. the need to refine a search.

#162 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 12:34 PM

I've never seen a partial word work. And you can't exclude channels unfortunately. Only select a channel or a channel range to look at.

I'm your last example, get rid of title, and add auto racing in the filters area. That might fix what you are trying to narrow down.

What exactly are you trying to grab?

What is your entire string you where thinking of using. It might be better to use events instead too, depending on if events is in there for practice or not. Also maybe just use one word, instead of three. Which of the words is in every qualifying? If it is qualifying, then only nnot qualifying.

#163 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:01 PM

What is your entire string you where thinking of using. It might be better to use events instead too, depending on if events is in there for practice or not. Also maybe just use one word, instead of three. Which of the words is in every qualifying? If it is qualifying, then only nnot qualifying.

Too bad about NNOT CCHANS and abbreviations.  It really limits what you can do.

I have a number of search strings.  A typical one would be:

GRAND PRIX TTITLE NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

All the strings work if I spell the words but some of the strings just barely fit.  INDYCAR RACING will not fit if I try to say

AALL INDYCAR RACING TTITLE NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

Fortunately it does not seem necessary to say AALL in this case which allows me to get it in.

I used to have AUTO RACING in a number of the search strings but found out that was too general for one string and not necessary if I was looking for specific keywords.  For example I used to have

AALL AUTO RACING TTITLE NATIONWIDE NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

but found

NATONWIDE TTITLE NNOT PRAICTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

seemed to work just as well.  All of my searches now look like that.  The downside is I need one search for each keyword because of the NNOT field.  If I could abbreviate I could do something like

AANY NATIONWIDE (SPRINT CUP) etc TTITLE NNOT whatever.

However, it is not really a problem as long as I have enough slots.

#164 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,317 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

Id suggest getting rid of title in most these.. and  little tweak....   for example...

GRAND PRIX TTITLE NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

Might be better if it was...

GRAND PRIX EVENTS NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports & Racing

Racing is a little better filter than auto for this IMHO, Events makes sure its live as well, and I dont think theres anything else that is listed as Racing & Grand PRIX that isnt indy racing is three?  If so maybe change it t...

INDYCAR EVENTS NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports & Racing

or 

INDYCAR PRIX EVENTS NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports & Racing

For 

AALL INDYCAR RACING TTITLE NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports, Auto

Id suggest...

AALL INDYCAR PRIX EVENTS NNOT PRACTICE QUALIFYING & Sports & Racing

Its tight but it fits.

And you probably don't need AALL even with that, but it does fit in this case.

#165 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

I'm not really sure what all DTV means by "EVENT".  However, from what you said, EVENT at least means live while a lot of races I want to watch are aired after the fact.  In that case TTITLE should be better.

As for Sports, Racing instead of Sports, Auto, Sports, Auto does pick up a few things I don't want, including motorcycle, for some reason, but Sports, Racing is really open-ended.  I could get people, boats, horses, etc.  The right title would narrow that down, but what we really need is Sports, Auto, Racing.  I played with Auto Racing as a title but I ran out of space trying to narrow it down.

I think I am on the right track.  Ch 214 in PA only airs SD, but it is HD in VA; no idea why.  Too bad I can't NNOT CCHANS 214 in PA!  Also, too bad I can't abbreviate.  Tivo has wild cards which would be nice -- Prac* instead of Practice.  OTOH, Tivo doesn't have NNOT, so I have to delete all the stuff I don't want.  All-in-all, I have relatively little to delete with DTV.

Oh, it would really be great if you could edit these searches.  It is a real pain to have to re-enter the whole thing every time you want to make a change.  For example, I have a number of single word titles (CHALLENGE, CHAMPIONSHIP, ENDURANCE, TOURING) that I could combine with AANY if I could edit them later.

#166 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

I used "Porsche Cup TTITLE" for a search.  My Tivo got it searching for "Porsche Cup" - "IMSA Porsche GT3 Cup" but my DTV box did not.  I was under the impression this search would find these two words in this order regardless of any other words in the title.  Is that actually the case?  I could change the search to "Porsche GT3 Cup" or just to "Porsche" but the former may be too restrictive and the latter too broad.

Another possibility I have no way to check after the fact is that the title may have been something else on the DTV box.  If anybody recorded that race on a DTV box, what was the title?

#167 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,154 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 July 2015 - 07:58 AM

Oh, it would really be great if you could edit these searches.  It is a real pain to have to re-enter the whole thing every time you want to make a change.  For example, I have a number of single word titles (CHALLENGE, CHAMPIONSHIP, ENDURANCE, TOURING) that I could combine with AANY if I could edit them later.

At the bottom of the Search Box is "Recent Searches".

Have you tried pulling up one of those and then add to it ?

If you have an Ipad have you tried using the DTV App , search with it. It is much easier to do a search there because you have a Keyboard to enter the search.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

Protected By... spam firewall...And...